(6 posts)
  1. mnbalways

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Wed Aug 9 2017 20:59:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi all, new here.
    Bought a playpen at a yard sale. It came packed in its little carrying bag. Had it laying in the living room for a day. When I took it out of the bag and assembled it, I saw a few little spots on the pad. Wiped them off with a Lysol wipe and only one spot smeared a teeny bit into the fabric. The other spots just sorta flaked off. This was still alarming, so I continued to inspect the pad and found two dead bugs along the seams. They were flat, definitely dead, and missing some limbs. I freaked out, packaged everything back into the carrying bag and disposed of it. I washed my clothes and the sheet I had it laying on immediately in hot water. However, paranoid and fear will not let me rest. I have not seen any signs of anything since, but I itch all over thinking about it!
    Is there anything else I can do besides just wait and see if a problem develops? I am literally terrified thinking about it!!
    The only thing that reassures me some is that the lady I bought the playpen from said it was stored in her mom's attic for 2 years. I am praying that the bugs I saw were dead bat bugs, perhaps from being in an attic. And the fact that I didn't see any live bugs. But I am still so nervous!!
    Any advice or reassurance would be lovely. thanks!

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 2 months ago
    Thu Aug 10 2017 1:19:21
    #

Login to Send PM

Can you post a photo of the bugs you found for an ID?

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. mnbalways

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Thu Aug 10 2017 8:12:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Nobugsonme - 6 hours ago  » 
    Can you post a photo of the bugs you found for an ID?

Unfortunately, I can't. When I found them I freaked out and disposed of everything. They surely looked like either a bed or bat bug... just not sure which one.
    I just can't relax thinking there isn't anything I can do but wait a few weeks and see if my home ends up infested. The anxiety is driving me insane.

4. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 2 months ago
    Thu Aug 10 2017 8:29:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

One of the effects of anxiety and an adrenaline surge is that our attention detail is rarely on point. In the same way that the most anxious on the forums appear to be the least likely to actually have bed bugs despite having samples of concern they feel are certainly bed bugs or nymphs.

The best solution would be to try and take picture of what is still available on the playpen and if its not available at all to divert the energy into understanding how to check items for bed bugs so the issue can be avoided in the future.

To make sure there is not an issue in your home I would recommend monitoring and if you have an issue a protocol such as TbyPMR would resolve this sort of scenario efficiently.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  5. mnbalways

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Thu Aug 10 2017 19:35:43
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you for your reply.
    As soon as I discovered the fecal stains and the two dead bugs, I discarded the entire playpen and carrying case. So it was only in the house for a day, which I am sure would theoretically give live BBs plenty of time to travel around the house. However, the lady I bought it from said it was stored in her mom's attic for 2 years prior to the sale. I am hoping and praying really hard that they were either bat bugs from the attic, or even if they were BB's, the 2yr time period of being isolated should have been long enough to kill them.
    The anxiety will not leave me alone. Today I vacuumed the apartment and even under the couch cushions. Saturday will mark one week that the suspect item had been brought into the house. Nothing under couch cushions except some dog hair and crumbs, haha. I am literally still so nervous though. I may try to buy one of those monitors online.
    My other half thinks I overreact so bad relating to this so I will have to place it in secret.

6. mnbalways

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Sun Aug 13 2017 8:53:43
    #

Login to Send PM

I am still an anxious mess and can't relax. It's been 8 days since suspect item was in the home. I ordered monitors but they won't be here for another like 5 days. I am inspecting every night - mattress, bed frame/headboard, under couch, cushions and in a hole we have in the bottom front part of couch, and under upholstered chair in living room. No signs of anything - feces, bugs, bites, etc. But I still can't relax and I literally feel like I am going crazy. I have been crying everyday because of anxiety. I keep telling myself if I don't see anything in another week or so I seriously need to just quit freaking out. The likelihood of there being a problem is probably low but I just can't get it out of my head. I'm literally having dreams of BBs. This is ridiculous!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

265,575 posts in 43,048 topics over 129 months by 18,887 of 19,446 members. Latest: bugbedder, RDM16, UStraveler1234