how toxic are suspend sc/tempo dust(9 posts)
just curious. my home was recently sprayed with both. in my last place a few days after a bedlam/suspend mixture i got a horrid sinus infection with fever and agitation that would get worse when i lied in bed, to the point of severe fatigue along with asthma and nausea. then a week later terribly depressed. i'm wondering if the pesticides could be causing some of this headache and anxiety and then subsequent depression...like racing in chest feels bad. and how long that lasts. maybe i should sleep somewhere else for a few days? i had also had phantom sprayed weeks earlier. nothing seemed to bother me much until suspend and bedlam mix. i know tempo plus suspend is a heavy pesticide use for me. i wanted it but should i sleep elsewhere? the first night i slept with my covers over my nose, it made breathing easier.
While you can react to pesticides your symptoms as described seem extreme and possibly not from these materials. Although allergic reactions to Tempo dust are possible. If your covers were compromised and you cocooned you might increase the effects. In general unless otherwise directed by your bug guy, smell does not do the killing. It is good practice to leave the apartment for two hours and vent it for an hour before reentry or according to any label instructions. The dust should be limited and confined to cracks crevices etc. And should not be available in amounts were the dust can easily become airborne.
yeah i think the sinus infection was from the bedlam/suspend mix though. my doc said it was from allergies. and sometimes my allergies manifest in anxiety. but i'm not so bad right now.
Good, glad your better.
I am glad someone posted this question because I was about to. I'm living (or re-living, I should say) one of those bedbug horror stories.... I had them last summer, a good exterminator got rid of them (or so I thought), then I started getting bitten again just before Christmas and then it escalated through January while I got the landlord on board (he wasn't before, he first had his roach guy do it and then I hired my own person), and long story short they are back, the whole building's infested, they may have been emanating from next door all along, yadda yadda yadda the LL brought in another under-the-radar guy who came in on Saturday and dumped piles - literally snowdrifts - of drione dust around the perimeter of my bedroom.
Then we (no, he didn't have me leave, rather I stayed to help him move the furniture and etc., and there were no respirators involved) flipped the wooden platform bed (which I didn't buy till around Halloween, three months after I thought the things were gone for good) and sprayed, and bbs started running out of the underbelly of the bed (fun with ziplocks, anyone?), so the PCO dumped a bunch more drione dust there.
I stayed at my sister's last night to let things settle down, but now am wondering if I should even go back there. The stuff is liberally and literally dumped around the way boric acid would be for roaches. When it was done in the summer by a legitimate guy, I never even saw the dust, it was applied that subtly.
My question is, is it safe for me to return? I am not afraid of a little bedbug dust, but this is a LOT of bedbug dust. Not to mention Bedlam and all the other chemicals that are now completely saturating the bed frame, my desk & drawers, my dresser drawers.... I don't even know if I can live there any more after this, but that's another thread....
Would appreciate any pro comments. I am attempting to attach a link to the photos on flickr so people can see the level/volume of dust I'm talking about. I'm not one to be squeamish about these things, but this looks excessive.
Thanks in advance!
I'm consulting various experts but I figured someone here could help out too.
that's a lot of pesticide. not sure what you should do. wish i had the answer.
The application of the Drione is not at all a professional application. The Drione dust should be applied to cracks and voids, not visible to the naked eye. When applied properly, even if you opened a treated area, it would just look like a light dusting, like someone had not dusted the furniture in a couple months. I hope the landlord didn't just "hire" someone to treat without checking their licensing, which I suspect is the case, or someone did it "under the table".
I would ask the landlord to clean it up using a hepa filtered vacuum.
Thank you for the sympathy Amy, and thank you KYPest for the assessment!
Sadly, this PCO is indeed "under the table" - he is moonlighting from his job at a larger pest-control firm, I don't know which one - and has at least been on a fair number of bb jobs. But he is no pro per se, and it shows.
My apartment was treated last summer by a very good PCO (which I paid for), and that's exactly what the dust looked like - when I found it - a very subtle layer, in discreet places.
The landlord will not vacuum anything. He has had to be prodded into even this much action by the tenants (and it pissed him off that I initiated the meeting). I have a vacuum with a hepafilter, so I guess that's good enough? If so I can do it myself.
Next week he is coming back to drill holes in the wall and throw dust in there as well, and spray all over again.
I'm writing this response partly to bump up the post in hopes that KillerQueen, David Cain and other insecticide-toxicity experts might respond.
Thanks in advance to everyone!
Sorry I cant input on this one as we have different products available in the UK and EU to the US and although I know all the potential UK ones I have no need to study the US market to the same level of detail.
I do however advocate the less is more effective approach and often dispare at the sheer quantities of these products being used, if nothing else it puts a massive select pressure into the environment to encourage inter breeding of more tolerate strains.
Bed Bugs Limited
You must log in to post.