Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed Bug Treatment

How to treat an infested couch? Advice for moving? Help!!!

(8 posts)
  1. Mausi

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Jun 11 2008 16:47:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi everyone.

I just discovered my bed bug problem about two weeks ago, and I have been incredibly upset ever since. I was planning on moving out in a couple weeks anyway, and this really throws everything off. I don't want to take my furniture with me if it's going to spread to my new house. However, my furniture is all new stuff and I really can't afford to throw it away.

I also just found out that the infestation has spread beyond my bedroom. The pest control technician told me he also saw some bugs in the couch.

I was wondering if anyone has any advice for me about how to treat the couch. Is it possible? Do I have to get rid of it? What about my other furniture? How do I know for sure that the bugs are gone? I have movers scheduled to come next week and I just don't see the problem going away before then.

I was considering getting a storage unit, putting everything I own in it, and bombing it with pesticides. Would this work? Any other suggestions?

I am at my wit's end right now. I can't even sleep any more because of this problem. It's just awful. Any advice you could give me would be greatly appreciated! I feel so alone in this.

2. Blue_Ox

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Jun 11 2008 17:16:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Several people on here have vikaned all their belongings after they have vacated their apartment and before they move into the next place. Do a search for "vikane gas".

3. buggedmama

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Jun 12 2008 17:03:02
    #

Login to Send PM

I would strongly, and from personal experience, urge you to get treated and be 100% certain you're rid of bed bugs before moving.

In lieu of that, your other options are: 1) vikane treatment in a moving truck (search the boards and FAQ for vikane), this is definitely the best option of you do decide to move; 2) destroying or labeling "bedbugs," then throwing out any belongings that can't be washed an dried in a dryer or baked in the oven (read posts about baking belongings by member lil_bit_obsessed who baked all her books), which therefore means discarding your new furniture; or 3) labeling and throwing out absolutely everything you own, going to a department store and buying new clothes, changing into them in the change room, and going to your new home with nothing but the clothes on your back.

Keep in mind, if you move before treating your apartment, you might unwittingly subject a new tenant to bed bug misery.

If you do decide you still want to move, there is a LOT of information about moving without the bugs in the forums and also, I think, in the FAQs.

4. BakedBedBugs

Posted 6 years ago
    Sat Jun 14 2008 1:58:55
    #

Login to Send PM

Nobugs, I have to say it:
    Vikane is not the only option in these types of circumstances. There are thermal treatment possibilities that may be available in your area that are as effective as vikane and approx the same cost. Vikane is more widespread in the US than Thermal though so your choices may be limited by availablity.

5. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Sat Jun 14 2008 17:38:49
    #

Login to Send PM

I am not sure I caught where Mausi was from.

There is the option of thermal treatment, and it looks promising, but is not available in many areas yet, which I think is why many of us forget to mention it, Baked.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  6. BakedBedBugs

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Jun 15 2008 2:34:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Agreed, that is why I mention it. I am always worried I'll been seen as "advertising" or soliciting when what I want is for more people to ask for themral so the adoption rates increase in other locales.

7. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Jun 15 2008 3:00:04
    #

Login to Send PM

BakedBedbugs,

The line between spreading the word on thermal as a method and advertising your business is pretty clear, and you haven't crossed it in this thread.

8. MixedFeelings

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Jun 15 2008 17:48:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Baked,

Personally, I am glad you are around to remind us of all our options. I only wish your services or similar were available in my area!! (Montreal)

MF

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.