Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » General Topics

How to seal electrical outlets in apt?

(5 posts)
  1. losingit

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Dec 1 2008 14:07:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi all - I want to attempt to seal up my apt. I've got the baseboards caulked for the adjoining walls (concrete = highrise), and around the electrical outlets too.

But what about the actual 'holes' you plug things into? Can't they get into your place that way? We all have to plug stuff in so how do you seal that part up while using the pluggy part for stereo, lights etc.

Also should I worry about the water pipes in my kitchen and bathroom, the sinks etc?

Maybe I should just buy a one bedroom 'bubble' and inflate it in my apt? Can you smoke in those things:)?

2. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Dec 1 2008 16:33:54
    #

Login to Send PM

Get all the pipes as well. Don't forget the gas lines and be very careful if not hire a pro to address them.

TURN OFF THE POWER! Take off the cover plate and seal the gap between the outlet box and the wall. You may need expandable foam for that one. I poofed some DE into the conduit at the back of the boxes also.

Taking a tip form Killer Queen I dusted the back side of the plate with DE. Seal the plate and then if you want put child proof covers on unused outlets.

Leave no hole into your house open for pest ingress.

Jim

3. losingit

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Dec 1 2008 16:56:50
    #

Login to Send PM

Jim - thanks for the reply. It's purely a precaution (hopefully).

When you say "...seal the gap between the outlet box and the wall" Im not sure what you mean. I'm no whiz at that stuff. It's a concrete wall, and the electrical 'bits' sorta sit/attach in the concrete hole. Is it safe to put foam in there? Probably not if the power is on right? Sadly, I can't turn the power off - it's a high rise unit. Are those childproof covers also bug proof? I'm using heavy duty duct tape to cover the ones I'm don't need right now.

I can't get behind the electric stove for the connection back there. The kitchens a bit of a right off I think. Can't afford a pro to come in either.

For the pipes I meant can the bugs crawl up through the actual taps/sink holes? A lot of my bathroom pipes are hidden behind the vanity/tub surround.

Sorry for all the questions

4. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Dec 2 2008 1:40:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Insects or rodents hunting food, shelter, water, or whatever may travel through the walls and enter your abode through the openings. No ifs ands or buts.

Part of IPM (integrated pest management) is cutting off access to your dwelling.

See this thread for pics of outlets and phone jacks where BB's are residing...

http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/poopfor-some-odd-reason-threads-i-post-to-are-not-bumping-up

I don't know about high rises but I can't imagine there is no circuit breaker or fusebox that you have access to to reset things or replace fuses in the event that it needs doing.

Most outlets are contained in a conduit "box" that is mounted to the wall. You seal around that box but not in it where the live wires are.

Perfect illustration here.....

http://www.adventuresindiy.com/http:/www.adventuresindiy.com/home-improvement/conservation-2/insulating-outlet-boxes-with-spray-foam

Jim

5. losingit

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Dec 3 2008 13:25:37
    #

Login to Send PM

Jim: I sadly have already sealed the outside area of the electrical plates so I'd have to remove the sealant and do it as you suggest. BUT I do recall that none of my outlets had the conduit boxes, just the electrical parts 'floating' in a concrete hole in the wall (square hole).

I'll just duct tape over the ones I don't use and keep an eye out!

thanks for your input...

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.