Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Reader questions (do not fit into other categories)

How to safely rescue someone from their bed bug situation?

(6 posts)
  1. johnny_mani

newbite

Posted 3 months ago
    Fri Mar 17 2017 9:57:44
    #

Login to Send PM

My mother's living in government income-assisted housing and has a severe bed bug situation. I'm too worried to go there and inspect myself, but the reports I've heard from people working there (and a junk hauler that cancelled an appointment) is that she has them on her clothes daily, and in the apartment there are thousands of them.

She seems to not be completely cognizant of the situation and I'm very concerned about her health. My understanding is that the housing management is going to to have a deep treatment performed (I'm waiting on details) but I have no ETA on this and am wondering if I should remove my mother and let her live with me and my roommate until they perform the treatment.

If so, how does one safely transport someone from an infested situation with infested clothes without spreading?

Many thanks

2. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 3 months ago
    Fri Mar 17 2017 10:04:48
    #

Login to Send PM

To transport it takes a few steps. You would need to treat several days worth of outfits in a dryer, then bag them up. Have her shower and change into one set of clothing from that bag and leave the apartment at that point. Once you are home for safe measure you may want to treat the clothing that she wore out of her apartment in the dryer once again.
    I have some residents that aren't really able to see bed bugs so I keep watch and check periodically; passive monitors are good once the apartment is cleared of any bed bugs.

What whispers the whisker?
  3. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 3 months ago
    Fri Mar 17 2017 10:08:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Have you seen the property and the extent of the infestation?

The steps needed very much depend on the extent and nature of the problem. While this may seem odd if its "off the scale 10/10+" which itself can be severe enough to make a person appear sedated and weak through anemia the additional disruption and sudden shift in their conditions can have medical consequences. This may sound alarmist but I think you need more facts before you jump into planning this.

If it is off the scale there are actually things that need to be put in place medically before the treatment starts.

This may also be a little harrowing a subject for some to deal with reading because the practicalities of dealing with this from a bed bug focused perspective can appear dehumanizing.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  4. johnny_mani

newbite

Posted 3 months ago
    Mon Mar 20 2017 21:44:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks. I'm going to the apartment building tomorrow at 11.

I really don't want to enter the building, but the situation has changed again. The housing authority is not going with heat treatments because they're worried about being liable for residents' property. They put me in touch with a local company that handles wildlife removal and pest control. The guy who is going to help my mother wants me to come over and be with him to assess. He's not worried and he's skeptical of others' reports about how bad it is. I can't dare to go into her apartment no matter what he says though. My house mate is demanding that I get a guarantee from him exactly how he will keep me from bringing a bed bug home with me when I go to visit the building. She is terrified about me going over there. I told her I'd buy a monitor for my bed if it makes her feel better.

So I'm back to square 1 again and don't even have any confidence that my mom's apartment actually will ever be bed bug free. But I'll try to stay positive. On the bright side when I go over there I'll get to see if things really are as bad as the staff has been telling me.

5. bedbugsbugme

Posted 3 months ago
    Tue Mar 21 2017 0:50:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Go there with a clean set of clothes in a ziploc bag for yourself and a pair of shoes that can be thrown out. Have a bag for throwing out the shoes and a ziploc bag for the clothes you changed out of. Tie your hair up in a tight bun if you have long hair and cover your head with a plastic shower cap. When you leave change out of the clothes and put them in the ziploc. Wear the shoes and cap out of the building. Change the shoes outside, throw any socks in the ziploc of dirty clothes. Throw the shoes and shower cap out with the bag you had. Take home the clothes and wash them on hot and dry them twice.

If you need to get your mom out of there you can do the same thing. Buy her some new shoes to change into once you leave the building. Take her to the laundrymat and wash the clothes she selected on hot and dry until dry and very hot to the touch. Ask her to select clothes that can tolerate high heat.

Any bags brought from her place need to be put inside another new bag and thrown in an outside trash. And her now clean clothes go into a brand new bag.

This is what I would do if I were in your situation. Also maybe the landlord can have the tenants sign waivers so they can go ahead with the treatment.

I'm not an expert. Just sharing what I learned from my experience.
  6. johnny_mani

newbite

Posted 3 months ago
    Tue Mar 21 2017 21:40:22
    #

Login to Send PM

What you describe is almost exactly what I did minus throwing away the shoes. They're converses so I can put them in the dryer for 40 minutes along with the other clothes I brought back in the sealed ziploc.

I'm not too worried since I didn't have to go inside her apartment. I was able to stay in the hallway which had no furniture or carpet or anywhere else for bugs the be.

My mom seems to be doing okay. She doesn't look unhealthy. She is right that after the first treatment the bugs really did take to the ceiling to get away and they've been leaving her alone.

I'm not too pleased with the treatment plan they're going with but it sounds like they are going to work hard on it.

She is throwing everything away except for some sealed bags which she will wash and dry clothes on hot and place them in there. As well as some pieces of solid wood furniture they will chemical treat.

They will do 3 chemical treatments at 2 week intervals. Two weeks after that they'll inspect again. During that time the only thing she will have besides what I mentioned will be an air mattress covered in a bed bug cover and a vacuum with disposable bags.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

257,526 posts in 41,334 topics over 126 months by 18,111 of 18,532 members. Latest: Pleasedontbebbs, pleezehelp, tarito