(4 posts)
  1. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 1 week ago
    Fri Aug 11 2017 0:51:56
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi All,

There are a lot of worried new posters out there.

Welcome! You've come to the right place and we will try to help.

You can help us help you. Here's how:

1. Read our FAQs about bed bugs. Here's an alternate interface for those who like the forum layout better. The FAQs at the other end of the links in both cases will be the same.

Some people feel it's more efficient to ask a question rather than reading the FAQs, but in most cases, that's really not true for you or for anyone else. Read the FAQs, then come and ask your follow-up questions.

2. Read the Forum Rules! Please! This will help you know what the community's expectations are. You can find them here.

3. Start a new thread to post your question or photo ID. This is important-- not only do you want to avoid "hijacking" someone else's thread, but you will also get more attention in your own, new thread. That's a win-win. If you don't know how to register, log in, and start a new thread, those questions are answered in How to use the forums/FAQs about the forums.

4. Give your new thread a title which tells us what the thread is about-- this means more people who can actually help will read your post. For example, if it's an ID, just include the word ID. For other topics, be as specific as you can. General titles are less likely to attract those who can answer a specific question, though "woe is me" or "introduction" are also valid, and will attract people who respond to those types of threads.

5. Be brief, where possible. I know it's hard, but again, your post is more likely to be read.

6. Be patient! There are only a small number of experts who can ID samples and even fewer who can ID possible fecal stains. To make sure you have the best chance of an ID, follow recommendations in this thread for taking a photo.

7. If you get no responses, or you don't get the kinds of responses you feel answer the question after 24 hours or so, and you want to follow up, please repost to the same thread. Again, keep in mind there are a few people answering questions and many people asking them. Don't create multiple threads on the same topic-- this just makes it harder for those answering them to get to all the questions.

8. If you don't know how to do something, read How to use the forums/FAQs about the forums. It's one of the Green Stickies, on the main forums page, where you will also find links to bed bug FAQs, Who's Who (experts and non-expert editions), and other important information.

9. If something goes wrong or you're having trouble and the How to use the forums/FAQs about the forums thread doesn't help, please email me. There's a black banner midway down the sidebar or you can click here. Please enter your email carefully on the form-- it's not unusual for someone to enter a typo and then it's hard for me to reply.

Finally, if any others have suggestions to add to what's above, or you have questions, or you have any other feedback, please feel free to respond below.

In a day or two, I will move this to the Green Stickies.

Thanks for taking the time to read this!

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 1 week ago
    Mon Aug 14 2017 23:58:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Any feedback?

3. IckIck

newbite

Posted 6 days ago
    Tue Aug 15 2017 9:36:12
    #

Login to Send PM

My feedback is first of all, THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU for running this forum and tending it. I am really amazed by your and others ongoing public service here. The site and forum especially has been so helpful to me to ask questions, learn about treatment options and what to expect, and to have people who truly understand the nightmare to exchange supportive emails with.

I do think even this post of yours is too long for a panicked first-timer. I am fairly knowledgeable about navigating websites and it took me a long time (like, multiple visits to the site) to locate the FAQs from the forum page, and then it seemed like there was a lot to read through that was not relevant to my situation. I can find the FAQs easily now (duh, they're right there) so I assume some of my searching was clouded by emotion. I do think the font for the site - while allowing for a lot of densely packed information - is not the easiest to read. Also, I'm not sure if there is a guide to the different treatment options available - a brief primer on what they involve and what to expect would have been helpful - maybe you have that and I didn't see it; I just got a lot of info by reading through the forum archives. Sorry I can only provide this vague general feedback - in the end my initial trouble searching did not matter and I got the info and help I needed. As I said, I am truly grateful for all the work you do in maintaining this site and was going to write a post just to thank you!

4. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 days ago
    Tue Aug 15 2017 23:03:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks. Ickick, that's helpful!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

261,674 posts in 42,198 topics over 127 months by 18,524 of 19,017 members. Latest: Tglock, Rae13, Buggybuggy335