Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Tales of Bed Bug Woe

How to handle DVD's...

(7 posts)
  1. UESbugs

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Oct 24 2007 9:51:38
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm taking a little poll here... as an aside, we are getting the hell out of here and going into a temp space for 3-4 months before moving into the new apt. Boyfriend just bought...luckily. He is taking NOTHING with him aside from clothes (which will be cleaned and zippied).

The only other thing is that he wants to take are the DVD's (sans case). The idea I had is that we can steam the actual discs, and then carefully put them into a new disc "book". I plan to do this all in the bathroom and use the bathtub. Will steam WORK on killing any eggs? And will the steam warp the disc?

Keep in mind I have a brand new still in box red Shark steamer (*the one from BB&Beyond for $40). Is that strong enough? He's hell bent on keeping his movies.. just need some real direction... THANKS!!!!! Can't wait to get OUT of here, he's on the phone with landlord now

2. pleasehelp

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Oct 24 2007 11:08:43
    #

Login to Send PM

I have a shark steamer not sure if it's the same model, it retails for about $100, I think. It has a lot of pressure, which I understand is not advisable for this application because it will scatter the bugs & eggs. I think there are more expensive steamers available with adjustable pressures... Good luck. Sounds like you're going to escape the @#$?%&'s.

3. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Oct 24 2007 11:39:01
    #

Login to Send PM

I posted this on yahoo, but it's better if it is archived here:

FYI-- Netflix tells customers who have a skipping DVD to wash it gently in warm soapy water (obviously use a sponge, not a scrubber, and then wipe with a gentle cotton cloth, carefully--nothing abrasive). This should work for CDs too.

Try one, dry it, and see how it plays (just to appease your fears). Once you're confident it works, it is easier and faster than spraying and wiping. Also, you can pack the DVDs into a new case with poly sleeves, or at least brand new plastic cases, this will save you cleaning the cases (which is slow work).

If you are a collector and wary of tossing your original cases, perhaps you can seal the cases only for 18 months, but I'd as soon slip them in new cases, and make labels for the cases once it's all over.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  4. UESbugs

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Oct 24 2007 15:10:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you pleasehelp and NBOM! I do prefer the idea of the warm soapy water... seems much less dangerous (no shooting bugs across the room with steam shot).

This also made me think: if these bitches can lay eggs in those DVD cases which are randomly tossed near the couch by the tv, how does it work when Netflix sends a DVD to an infested home, that DVD gets returned to Netflix, Netflix sends it to innocent customer, innocent customer gets some eggs, and so on. greeaaat. I don't use this type of service, and will consider this going forward. Need Blueray asap.

5. Bencannon

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Oct 24 2007 15:20:15
    #

Login to Send PM

We cleaned all our DVDs and records and they are fine.

6. UESbugs

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Oct 24 2007 15:22:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Hey Bencannon, do you mind if I ask what method you guys used? When you treated/cleaned them, as in, how long ago, and how long you've been BB free? Hoping for good news!

7. DougSummersMS

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Oct 24 2007 17:18:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Steam kills bed bugs & eggs on contact, but I am not sure whether the DVDs & CDs would be damaged by the heat. Soap & water may be a safer choice.

Can you replace the original nozzle on the Shark with a diffuser nozzle? This is the type of nozzle that is recommended for treating items with a commercial system. Otherwise you might be able to wrap a towel around the nozzle to create the same effect.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.