Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » General Topics

How to find someone who will help my mother salvage?

(8 posts)
  1. johnny_mani

newbite

Posted 5 months ago
    Thu Mar 16 2017 9:57:14
    #

Login to Send PM

HI, this is my first post and it was hard to tell which forum this belongs in. Apologies if this is covered already and I didn't find it.

My mother is elderly and lives in government housing. It's a tall tower building; an old hotel with many floors. Her apartment has become so infested with bedbugs that they immediately get on you when you walk in the room. This is after a chemical treatment earlier this week.

Her apartment manager and maintenance are requiring that she salvage everything or be evicted. They claim her two neighbors detected negative on bedbugs when I mentioned concern that solving her problem individually might not be enough to solve the apartment's real problem.

Their maintenance does their own in-house treatments and inspections, and when I asked about a second opinion they don't sound like they'll try it, but she is going to talk with her supervisor. They also aren't equipped to do heat treatments.

What I'm looking for is any company that will help my mother wrap all her belongings because the apartment is (understandably) requiring that everything that comes out of her apartment and through the lobby be wrapped up. Junk haulers and movers I've called won't deal with this. I contacted one regional junk hauler that claimed to specialize in bed bugs, but when they got there they weren't prepared for this. They said if we do a heat treatment one day before AND it kills enough bed bugs that they aren't covered in them AND we pay for them to have better protective suits, that they will do the job. Does anyone know how I would search for a company that will help my mother 1) wrap her items and 2) haul them out? It doesn't have to be the same company but they will definitely need hazard suits.

Thanks

2. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 5 months ago
    Thu Mar 16 2017 10:08:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Where is she?

What whispers the whisker?
  3. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 months ago
    Thu Mar 16 2017 10:13:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

The ere are two options for what you need. Often "prep" companies spring up to help people in such situations, there may be one local to you.

The second alternative option is if you have an insect inferno trailer available close to you the items could be sealed, loaded, decontaminated and put back clear.

The later need less impacting on someone to have to throw things away.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  4. johnny_mani

newbite

Posted 5 months ago
    Thu Mar 16 2017 21:13:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you, okay the situation has changed. I'm wondering if I should repost, but here is the update:

It sounds like I've convinced her housing authority (this is North Carolina) to get an outside expert for a deeper treatment. I was able to speak with the lead inspector of a local company who has handled government contracts before, they've cleared out and educated an elderly facility in the past, and he has ties to a local university, and if I understood, doctors in the entomology department. I don't know if this is the company they decided to go with, but I put them in touch with him and that was when a supervisor called me to tell me they're going to look into a deep treatment.

I'm on hold now for the treatment details but my understanding is the risk of eviction has passed. My primary concern now is my mother's health now that I've heard more details from folks working at her apartment building. They said you can see the bed bugs and bed bug blood on her clothes.

She has thousands in her room. The junk haulers who had gotten to her apartment said within 20 seconds they had several babies and some adults crawling on their legs.

I also don't think she is completely cognizant of the situation. She told me tonight that she's okay because after the maintenance chemical treatment "they aren't biting her anymore, they're on the walls now"

So I'd like to figure out how to safely get her away until the treatment takes place. And also whether she should see a doctor or have tests run. My understanding is it has been a problem for a few months now.

Many thanks

5. Livingagain

Posted 5 months ago
    Thu Mar 16 2017 22:12:54
    #

Login to Send PM

With those kinds of numbers it's been a problem for more than a few months. This is the end result of us not having the pesticides we need to fight these things.

If you hear what the "deep clean" will consist of, let us know so we can give you tips on if that would be effective. Treatments for these things vary widely.

6. johnny_mani

newbite

Posted 5 months ago
    Tue Mar 21 2017 21:51:21
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm kind of coming back to this thread since it's more in line with how the situation ended up.

So they decided not to go with a heat treatment because it will trouble the other nearby residents Maybe they're trying to do this as cheaply as possible, I don't know. But there is a particular wildlife and pest organization they have a relationship with, and they're going with whatever they recommend. So maybe they talked them out of it. I just don't know why they aren't taking it more seriously. I went to (not into) the apartment with the guys from the pest organization and they admitted there were thousands of them. But they seem to think they can knock them out with chemicals.

Anyway, they're going to do 3 chemical treatments at 2 week intervals. Thankfully these folks will help my mother bag up some items she has trouble with, and they will go in and do the salvage job using dump trucks. Then they'll do the treatments. I'm skeptical but there's nothing I can do. After talking with staff at the apartment building (she's someone above the apartment manager, maybe a director?) it sounded like they didn't even contact the pest company I had located that had experience handling large apartment buildings.

7. Livingagain

Posted 5 months ago
    Tue Mar 21 2017 22:45:56
    #

Login to Send PM

So she will be out when they do the treatments?

8. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 months ago
    Wed Mar 22 2017 0:55:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Did you ask if they would professionally inspect attached units? (Sorry if you said and I missed that.)

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

261,487 posts in 42,163 topics over 127 months by 18,504 of 18,994 members. Latest: amybooks, imbuggingout, Okiguess