Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Psychological and Health problems caused by bed bugs (besides bites)

How to deal with anxiety and stress of infestation?

(4 posts)
  1. rfaction

newbite

Posted 7 months ago
    Thu Mar 16 2017 22:44:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi guys, this is my first post so sorry if it's reposted, I've read several threads on here about anxiety and nothing has helped.

My situation: (feel free to skip)
    I've lived in this apartment for 2 years, and about 1 year ago I started getting bites. I thought nothing of it, considering I have skin allergies and am practically itchy all the time without medicated lotion. Then, I saw a 1st instar unfed bug in my phone case (which I keep next to my bed at night). I looked it up, thought I might have bed bugs, but let it go for too long.

Now, we have a pretty bad infestation. Probably 7 or 8 on that official scale that's been posted here. I'm in a tight money situation, so I can't do an official extermination and I can't tell my landlord yet, because I have absolutely no extra cash to spare.
    The other day I did a diatomaceous earth treatment (Hotshot brand) and washed everything in my room, and vacuumed. I will be doing another one this Sunday, and another one a week after. And hopefully, that will be enough. Otherwise, I'm out of luck because DIY heat treatments aren't an option in the weather where I'm at, besides clothes and bedsheets.

The anxiety:
    Last night, I found 7 adults alone in or around my bed. Picked them up with toilet paper and flushed them all, and right after had a huge panic attack. I couldn't sleep for anything. Today, I've been obsessively checking my bed, lifting up the mattress, moving it to see anything behind it, and so far haven't seen any bug but EVERY itch or crawl I feel on my skin, I freak and think, oh god, it's a bug. Every dark spot I see near me or in my room, I feel like it's a bug.

I'm exhausted emotionally, because I can't tell anyone, I already have a diagnosed anxiety disorder and I've had three panic attacks in the past 24 hours that were bed bug related.

How do I deal with the anxiety of bed bugs? I'm fine with insects, but these useless, ugly little things that are in my precious space are driving me insane. Even if I get rid of them, I'm terrified I'm gonna have this psychosomatic itchy feeling forever.

Also, I've talked to my therapist about it. She says she doesn't know what to say, she has never dealt with bed bug anxiety.

Please help? I don't know what to do anymore, I'm too impatient to wait, I can't calm down. How do I calm down?

2. BBAB

newbite

Posted 7 months ago
    Fri Mar 17 2017 1:19:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Hmmm I also suffer from anxiety and a few years ago thought that I had a bed bug issue that actually just turned out to be a skin condition but for 2 years I emotionally suffered because I thought I was being bitten by bed bugs and spent about $1000 exterminating non existent bed bugs. Funnily enough, I moved into an apartment with roaches. And said to myself well at least it's not bed bugs but low and behold, 2 months later and the dreaded bed bugs have come for me! Seems I jinxed myself.
    Anyway I can say I empathize with how you feel. Very hopeless, discouraged and paranoid.
    All I can say is, just try and take deep breaths and get through it. It will be a fight everyday but do the best that you can.
    Also order some cimexa and bedlam if you can. There's a website called domyownpestcontrol or something around those lines and the products aren't very expensive (only ships in US and not Canada by the way) hope this helps somewhat?

3. Livingagain

Posted 7 months ago
    Fri Mar 17 2017 10:16:28
    #

Login to Send PM

Yeah, Cimexa is better than DE, make sure you put it in all the places the bugs need to cross to get to you, up the side of the box springs. Then you need to inspect beds to make sure they are clear, there are recipes for contact killers on this site, and you can remove eggs, etc with packing tape and put them in ziplocks to throw away. You need to tell the landlord at some point because the bugs moving between apartments can be a problem, and will be a way you get them back if there's not communication.

4. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 7 months ago
    Fri Mar 17 2017 10:16:31
    #

Login to Send PM

For the sake of your neighbors, as much as it might put you in an unfavorable position, you should inform your landlord. A heavy infestation may not be contained to just your apartment. There's also the possibility that they came from an adjoining apartment, which would also need to be treated in addition to your unit, otherwise the problem will continue.

HVAC/Locksmith/Bed Bug Control for a non-profit homeless shelter and long term veteran housing.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

265,291 posts in 42,979 topics over 129 months by 18,859 of 19,417 members. Latest: UnwelcomeGuests, wouldliketosleepagain, Jweesh