How to control the paranoia

(13 posts)
  1. pinklilly

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Sep 26 2010 15:36:49
    #

Login to Send PM

I first became aware of BBs about 1.5 years ago when the first news articles started to appear. Since then I've been very diligent with drying new/used clothing as soon as it arrives. Checking all hotels before staying for signs. Bagging everything at hotels and drying clothes and bagging luggage once home.

Yet with all that, the recent rash of new articles on bed bugs has sent me into a phobic, paranoid panic. I can't sleep at night and I hate even leaving the house out of fear of getting them

I am 99% sure I don't have them but I still can't rest easy.

So with all that said I will probably be investing in a Packtite just to be safe.

And how good are the passive/active monitors? Is USbedbugs.com a good company to buy them from? I am so paranoid I'm afraid to bring anything into the house from a bed bug company for fear it has bed bugs on it. LOL! See I am totally insane

Lastly, how do you all keep from this taking over your lives? I'm not sure how to get my paranoia under control

2. The Reluctant Entomologist

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Sep 26 2010 16:29:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Can one ever really be TOO paranoid? I still haven't dismissed the possibility that the new "Protect a Bed" encasement I ordered from US Bedbugs to "double-bag" my bed -- ha! -- was probably 1) a counterfeit, 2) full of tiny holes, and 3) probably a return full of bbs.

That was 4 months ago. I still haven't dismissed the theory.

Oh, and when I bought my new 100% cast iron bedframe, which was apparently shipped via JFK airport and sold to me by a place that, yes, accepts returns -- I immediately cut up the cardboard box and all shipping materials and sealed them in recycling bags and sprayed the entire thing down with DE/alcohol/soap.

Long way of saying you might be asking the wrong people...sorry! But at least I'm bumping this up for someone saner to take a stab at it!

3. pinklilly

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Sep 26 2010 16:43:09
    #

Login to Send PM

LOL! But at least I am not alone in my paranoia

I wish I could feel more confident that I don't have any. I mean I have zero bites, no fecal matter marks, no blood spots, no bug casings and I've been diligent. You'd think that would be enough to ease my fears. But nope, I still obsess when trying to fall asleep.

4. The Reluctant Entomologist

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Sep 26 2010 17:04:07
    #

Login to Send PM

I read somewhere that if you're not diligent while you're sleeping, they can get into your dreams!

5. aaghbugs

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Sep 26 2010 17:17:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Perhaps you could start by telling yourself that getting bed bugs isn't actually any worse than being that paranoid about them. There are zillions of things that we can worry about in this world.

Perhaps you should just buy some encasements for your mattress & box spring and a couple of climb-up monitors for its legs and then rest assured that they have few places to hide on your bed and if you do get them, you'll see them get caught in the climb-ups.

6. pinklilly

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Sep 26 2010 17:40:32
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm not worried about my dreams since I'm not sleeping anyway, hence no dreams LOL!

I do have the mattress/box spring encased. Just need to get some monitors and the climb-up things. I guess I keep putting off buying the monitors because I am afraid the results will show I do have them. Yes I know, it's a silly way to look at it since knowing either way would be better because then it can be treated if I do have them.

7. The Reluctant Entomologist

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Sep 26 2010 17:47:37
    #

Login to Send PM

I dunno. I'm getting so extra-paranoid right about now that I'm considering throwing away my monitors -- b/c about 99% of me really just doesn't want to know.

8. bbpsych

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Sep 27 2010 11:14:06
    #

Login to Send PM

I totally understand the paranoia and fear, and thankfully, I had a wonderful PCO who was not only skilled at bed bug killing, but also at therapy (I teased him that he should start charging more!). He said many helpful things as I bombarded him with "What IF . . .?" questions, but the most useful things he would say were always along the lines of this: "Yes, theoretically, bed bugs can (you name it, I asked it) . . . but . . . REALISTICALLY, they're more likely to (fill in the blank with something logical)." I don't know if that will you help you any, but it helped me a bunch - especially when I went through the phase of thinking they were all over every surface all the time (more like fleas, than BBs). Or, as a back up to everything you're already doing, maybe a canine inspection would put your mind at ease, so you'll know AT THIS MOMENT you don't have them, and then you can rest easy knowing that with all the safety nets you've put in place, you'll be able to catch it early IF you ever happen to get them.

9. ohpleasenobugs

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Sep 27 2010 14:35:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi! I have also been really paranoid about getting bedbugs since relocating to NY a few weeks ago. I am wondering if any of you can tell me just how well they can "hang on" to you once they get on your clothing, etc. I ask because I am fairly certain that while catching a show this weekend, I was bitten twice on my leg (the only exposed part of my body). The bites appeared to be much smaller than other mosquito bites and they had this little *eye* in the middle. Since I had already been on high alert, I left the theater and tried to shake all my clothing vigorously and turned my pockets inside out before getting back into the car. I made my husband remove his socks & shoes and shake those out before entering the car as well. I placed my belongings into a plastic bag and turned my purse upside down. It this enough or do they really not cling onto you and merely just hitch hike in your belongings? I have been checking the beds constantly for fear that we may have brought one home? How else can I prevent the spread? Like newbite, this has been practically debilitating and I am afraid to leave our home!

10. parakeets

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Sep 27 2010 15:01:57
    #

Login to Send PM

If your paranoia is bad enough, you might want to schedule regular canine inspections. That's about the best way to detect early infestations. You can self-monitor how paranoia of bedbugs is affecting your life and if you find you are not doing things you normally would do, due to fear of bedbugs (such as going out with friends, travelling, or having people over) you could look into professional ways of learning how to deal with fear and stress (bedbugs are stressful!) I found something that helped me a lot was to think of people in third world countries who have lived with bedbugs for years. My compassion for their strength and endurance , especially the children, helped me deal with things. Also, I did some entomology research and there are insects much worse than bedbugs. Paradoxically, learning about them, and learning as much as I can about bedbugs here, calmed me down, too. You might be different. Some people have to stop coming to this forum if they are obsessed with a fear of bedbugs, and that's a valid choice, too. Just take care of yourself.

11. pinklilly

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Sep 27 2010 22:10:10
    #

Login to Send PM

If I continue to feel my life is affected I will probably see a therapist If it's this bad for me, I can't even imagine what it must be like for those of you who DO have the bugs in their home.

So far still no sign of anything (knocks wood) yet my fears continue.

I did buy a Packtite. So hopefully that won't be on back order too long. Next will the the active monitor just to be sure.

12. SearchandDestroy

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Sep 27 2010 22:38:42
    #

Login to Send PM

I agree, there are far worse scenerios and it helped me to think about how I'd rather be dealing with this than say....that. I put cancer in the that column. It puts it into perspective.

You'll probably never get them because you are vigilant and will have the monitors in place. I swear, the fear of them is worse than the actual having them.

Having them is tons of work and yes, stressful but ya get over the fear of them because you learn about them and they aren't so scary anymore. They're just bugs. Pain in the butt bugs as my PCO says. Definitely pain in the butt! But that is something we can deal with...

13. nycyn

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Sep 27 2010 23:00:55
    #

Login to Send PM

The Reluctant Entomologist - 1 day ago  » 
    I read somewhere that if you're not diligent while you're sleeping, they can get into your dreams!

Oh that's funny.

Probably does happen tho'.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

184,309 posts in 28,319 topics over 87 months by 12,196 of 19,350 members. Latest: MANthrax, buggingcane, pecunianon
Site Meter