(7 posts)
  1. chrissy0218

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue May 2 2017 14:47:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi all,

I should start off by saying my current house does NOT have bed bugs. We had a very light problem back in December that has been taken care of. I have just moved back from college for three weeks and am in the process of packing up my belongings because I am moving into an apartment soon.

I was wondering how I could take precautions to avoid bed bugs from a moving truck and how to remain sane the first few nights in my new place. At the moment, I am sealing my laundered clothes in vacuum-sealed bags (for space), and putting little things in clear plastic tote boxes. However, some furniture I will be moving will be assembled before the move, and I am wondering how to prevent, if any, bed bugs from the moving truck to hopping a ride on my furniture.

I was considering a plastic couch cover for my sofa, and my mattress will be vacuum-sealed in a box (I just ordered one online brand new), but for my dresser and night table I could use some suggestions.

Additionally, does anyone have any advice on how to inspect my new apartment for bed bugs? I live in a college town, so apartments there have a lot of in-and-out traffic. I was thinking of using ClimbUps on my bed frame for the first week or so, just to catch anything that might be there. I also plan on covering my mattress, box spring, and pillows with encasements, obviously. But I don't know what to do about clothes quite yet. Any advice would be appreciated! (:

P.S. I had a scare a few weeks ago in my dorm and I contacted campus pest control, expecting the typical PCO who was unconcerned about bed bugs. I was very pleasantly surprised when the PCO I got was very educated about them, placed ClimbUps that day on my bed, and told me if any were found that they would immediately start a heat treatment. Needless to say, he quelled my fears. So, good, knowledgable PCOs are out there!

2. chrissy0218

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue May 2 2017 15:04:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Okay, let's try this again.

Hi all,

Let me start off by saying my current house does NOT have a bed bug problem. We had a light problem back in December that's been taken care of. I have just moved home from college and will be moving into an apartment in three weeks and was wondering what precautions I could take to avoid bringing any bed bugs that could be on the moving truck or in my new place.

As of now, I am sealing my laundered clothes in vacuum-sealed bags and packing the little things in clear plastic tote boxes. I was thinking of using a plastic couch cover for my sofa to put on the moving truck, but as for my other assembled furniture I don't know what to do. I am moving a dresser and night table too, so any suggestions for those are welcome.

Additionally, for the first few nights in the new place, I was planning on putting ClimbUps on my bed frame and of course, covering my box spring, mattress, and pillows in encasements. Does anyone have any other ideas/suggestions for the first few nights, however?

3. mp7ski

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue May 2 2017 15:10:44
    #

Login to Send PM

This one's a tough one, you really don't have many options. The way I see it your options are:

1) don't use a moving truck, find a different way to transport your belongings.
    2) seal every single thing you plan on putting in the truck in some way, either with sealed totes (weather tight) or zip lock and furniture bags and unseal everything outside the apt. before taking it in and disposing of the bags/totes. Sealing and moving everything would be tough without putting a hole or tear in any bags.
    3) a more unrealistic option would be to have it fumigation along with your stuff.
    4) you could seal everything the best you can, rent the truck for an extra day and either have it treated by a pco or treat it yourself before moving anything into it. Honestly, if I had to use a moving truck, this is probably the route I'd take.

I purchased these bags to store bigger things, i like that they are 3 mil thick and not too thin. They are out of stock on most their bags except for the 6 ft. couch bags and the mattress bags for some reason.

https://www.ecomattressbags.com/collections/furniture-storage-bags

I am not an expert, any advice I give should be considered as amateur advice and not taken as fact. I mean well with all my posts and try to give back. If you plan on using any of my advice, I suggest doing research into said advice to make sure it is in your best interest.
    Study on Thermal Death Points(pages 18-29 of pdf) : http://www.propanecouncil.org/uploadedFiles/Council/Research_and_Development/REP_12221%20Efficacy%20of%20Heat%20on%20Bed%20Bugs.pdf
    Study on Cimexa: http://www.pctonline.com/article/pct0814-silica-gel-research-bed-bugs/
  4. chrissy0218

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue May 2 2017 15:19:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Would a better option be to wait until I get to my apartment to assemble my furniture? I ordered my dresser and night stand online and they have to be assembled. Would you still suggest wrapping those in some type of encasement even if they are in a box?

5. mp7ski

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue May 2 2017 15:33:26
    #

Login to Send PM

chrissy0218 - 11 minutes ago  » 
    Would a better option be to wait until I get to my apartment to assemble my furniture? I ordered my dresser and night stand online and they have to be assembled. Would you still suggest wrapping those in some type of encasement even if they are in a box?

I do think that would be a better way of doing it. They'd be easier to move and seal while minimizing the risk of poking holes in the bag. Plus if you didn't have bags big enough, itd be easier to use 2 and tape them to the box or together around the box. I would definitely seal them even though they are in boxes, cardboard doesn't stop bed bugs and they actually like it as a harborage.

6. chrissy0218

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue May 2 2017 15:55:06
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks! Do you have any advice for living in the new place for the first week or so?

7. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue May 2 2017 22:20:50
    #

Login to Send PM

Your post was in the spam filter and is now restored above. It shouldn't happen again.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,607 posts in 49,509 topics over 153 months by 21,693 of 22,135 members. Latest: mrssachvz, mandy717, Lodo956