How soon will DE kill a bed bug?

(9 posts)
  1. myLifeinZiplocs

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Nov 11 2008 18:21:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello,

I am just wondering if anyone knows the answer to this, google is not helping.

So a bed bug walks through some DE, how soon after will it die?

(I only see things on how long it can take to clear up "an infestation" or whatever, but nothing specific to how soon after a bug exposed to the stuff actually dies)

Thank you!

2. bitten123

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Nov 11 2008 18:43:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Hey ziploc, I love your name..it made me laugh!

I think I read somewhere that after their xskelton is scratched and they start to dry out was up to 10 days. Hopefully one of our experts will answer.

I'm sorry you had to join us, but you are welcome here!

3. myLifeinZiplocs

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Nov 11 2008 19:06:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks.

Yeah I got my first treatment about two weeks ago. Found one little one on the boxspring on Saturday so we are doing another treatment on Friday. (encasement had a hole torn in it, I put on a new one more carefully)

I have thrown half my stuff (read: old crap and clutter) and everything I own is either in garbage bags or ziplocs (after appropriate sterilization/dryer treatment). I even put my slippers in ziplocs when I'm not wearing them. No new bites since the new encasement and no signs of bugs since Saturday. So I am hoping the next treatment will be sufficient.

I keep trying to find a bed bug K9 in the San Francisco Bay area to check my mom's house because I visit her every two weeks or so. Wanted to make sure I haven't spread them there. (really worried about this actually)

I have gotten past the suicidal hopeless phase (for the moment) and have reached the more logical determined stage for now. I will feel much better after 3 weeks go by without bugs.

But MAN I am SICK of everything I own being in frakkin ziploc bags and all over the house. Glad the screen name made you laugh.

A little worried about my car too, since I took everything to the dump from my house in my car. it was bagged but I'm still worried. Every time I scratch I wonder if its a bite or I'm just itching. But I don't see any welts, just irritated skin.

My poor cat keeps wondering what the hell is going on.

Anyway, thanks for this forum and for your support. Sorry for the outpouring of other issues. Just overwhelmed. First semester at grad school and I really have no time for this crap.

I really hope it doesn't take ten days to kill a bug after exposure. Yipes. I have it all around the perimeter of my bedroom and furniture in my bedroom to keep them from spreading to the rest of the house. (so far no signs that they have)

4. DougSummersMS

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Nov 11 2008 19:37:04
    #

Login to Send PM

MyLifeinZiplocks
    In San Francisco, try Pestec. They have an experienced BedBugDog™ team & Luis is a sharp PCO.

Basically Bitten 123 is correct.

In a recent study ...Dr Potter & Romero Alvero with the University of Kentucky found that field captured groups of bed bugs that were confined on paper that was treated with DE died within 7 - 10 days.

The contact with DE was continuous in the study, under field conditions the bed bugs might need to make repeated contact with DE before you obtain a lethal result.

5. myLifeinZiplocs

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Nov 11 2008 19:40:33
    #

Login to Send PM

oh phooey. I didn't realize it took so long. Makes me wonder if I should bother using it. I mean that gives it more than enough time to reproduce.

This is all just so disheartening.

Thanks for the answer though. I appreciate it.

6. DougSummersMS

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Nov 11 2008 20:40:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Some will start dying within the first 72 hours, but all of the lab raised & field caught bed bugs in the treatment groups died within 10 days.

Drione & DeltaDust had a little faster kill rate than DE alone, but all of the dust formulations that were tested with the exception of limestone (NIC) dust successfully killed the treatment groups within 10 days. The limestone dust only killed about one third of the bed bugs in the treatment group within the 10 day period.

DE / silica based dusts provide long term protection and serve as a mechanical killer with a different mode of action than the spray agents. The synergistic combination of sprays & dusts properly applied should help accelerate the eradication process.

7. myLifeinZiplocs

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Nov 11 2008 21:20:38
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks so much for your answers. I am just using the DE as backup really.

I am trying to remain positive that the next PCO treatment will be the last.

8. ellie-A

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Mon Sep 1 2014 4:41:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Does boric acid kill them too? How about knock out bed bug spray? Please answer my question I desperately need to know thanl you

9. TerminatorT2

Posted 2 months ago
    Mon Sep 1 2014 10:57:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Ellie, please use the "good stuff". Anything with a funny name or that you can buy at your local store is not going to work. Stick to D.E. and the powerful sprays. Disclaimer: I don't know the health risks of the sprays and powders so use at your own risk.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

200,120 posts in 31,017 topics over 94 months by 13,443 of 20,849 members. Latest: senses123, So Mad, joshc