Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed Bug Treatment

How quickly does a full blown infestation happen?

(5 posts)
  1. jkmc

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Aug 23 2009 12:53:35
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello-I brought in two chairs 16 days ago that were infested with bedbugs. Two weeks ago, I now realize that I killed an adult bed bug crawling on me while sitting on my couch. The chairs were about a foot away from the couch. Last night, I found a smaller-teenager size bedbug crawling on me and that is how I figured out I had bedbugs. I immediately removed the infested chairs and washed and dried all things near the chairs and couch (pillows, blankets, curtains, couch pillow coverings, etc.). I am going to steam clean today.

Really, friends, my question is: How fast do these evil things move? Is my bed already infested? Do I have to buy the mattress covers today, now, no matter what? Do they get all over the house, lickety-split? Or is just the luck of the draw-if one happens to be on you when you go to bed (or move around in your house to wherever), too bad for you? If not, lucky you. Also, I am going to rent a steam cleaner from the hardware store for the carpets and my couch. Are these hot enough to KILL, KILL, KILL!!! What a freaking nightmare come true. Sorry to all of you who have really terrible infestations. Thanks for any help.

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Aug 23 2009 13:07:06
    #

Login to Send PM

I would suspect that in 16 days, the bed bugs may have moved around to different locations. The sofa was an easy place for them to find you, and nearby. They are likely to be in or on the sofa. You likely have eggs which have not hatched yet, there and maybe elsewhere.

They may have already come to your bed and bitten you there, it is hard to say. Anywhere you hang out (desk chair, sofa, bed) is a possibility. No one can say which direction they will have gone in or how far they would have gotten by now.

Have you reacted to any bites yet? If so, then you're in a better position to determine if they're all gone, going forward.

If you have not yet reacted to bites, it's likely you were still bitten. Not reacting means it's hard to know if they're gone.

A good bed bug sniffing dog may be able to help you determine whether you still have bed bugs and where. Note: all teams are not equally good. You want someone who is going to find the sample once the dog alerts. Some here will give you recommendations on companies who do this. If you're going to do it, I would do it ASAP and before you do the steaming or other treatment, since it will help you target this, and decide if you need to bring in the heavy guns.

Finally, give some thought to where you found the chairs. Was it outside your building? If so, your neighbors are likely infested with bed bugs. This means you need to do everything you can to seal off crevices which may allow them to spread to you. (Some PCOs will dust in the walls and cracks and then caulk them up, and polyurethene the floors.)

If your building has bed bugs, it's fully possible you have them coming from other places besides the chairs. If you do not react to bites, you would not even have necessarily known or seen any bed bugs.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. jkmc

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Aug 23 2009 13:39:27
    #

Login to Send PM

OK. Hmmmm. Lots to think about there. I do not know if I have been bitten. I just removed the chairs last night after finding the teenager bb crawling up to me. Unfortunately, I also live in a very mosquito infested area and I don't know if I would know the difference. The chairs are from far away-they were in someone's garage for a while so I think they were dormant and woke up when they got in my house (uh, or my car). I live in a single family home. I guess I am very confused about what to do.

Should I start washing all the linens and inspect the bed? Call in a dog sniffer? And then go from there? Should I remove the couch (I don't need to keep it)? Should I put the stuff on the curb in plastic so the bbs don't start try to crawl and make a run for it? (I don't want to go near them). I spray painted big X's and "NO" on the chairs so people won't be tempted to go near them.

It sucks that it's Sunday. I have to arrange for and pay for garbage furniture pick up in my town. I also start a new job at 7:00 am tomorrow and classes start tomorrow, too. All of the sudden, I have to devote all this time to these things and it is coinciding with my having no time. But, there is no good time for a frakking bed bug infestation, is there? Wah for me-I am trying not to freak out but obsessively enough, nothing else matters right now. This is the true evil of bed bugs, isn't it?

Thanks for your info (and reading my post), nobugsonme. Very helpful.

4. buggyinsocal

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Aug 23 2009 16:15:51
    #

Login to Send PM

I would make the first priority looking for a good PCO in your area who knows about bed bugs.

It's a bad idea to do too much cleaning or moving before you get a PCO in to deal with the problem since cleaning and moving may either spread the infestation farther or drive the bugs deeper into hiding. Hard as it is to do, fight the impulse to clean and purge the home of "contaminated" items until you get a good PCO in for inspection.

Finding a good PCO is key, since a good PCO can give you specific instructions on how best to deal with your infestation.

5. jkmc

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Aug 23 2009 17:42:27
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

201,770 posts in 31,267 topics over 95 months by 13,526 of 14,301 members. Latest: LadyLosingIt14, MelissaTT, scaredofbedbugs520