Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Reader questions (do not fit into other categories)

How often do they feed?

(18 posts)
  1. Clarity

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Mar 25 2009 21:29:41
    #

Login to Send PM

I've read that bed bugs will feed at least once a week if they have an available source of blood. Does anyone know if that is accurate? If not, how often do they generally feed? I know that there will probably be a lot of variation.

The reason I ask is because I generally only get a couple of bites once every week and a half, and I just now went for about two weeks without getting any new bites. This led me to believe that we can't have very many bugs in our apartment, since the bites are so few (almost always less than five at once) and I've only gotten bites on more than one night in the same week once. I got the impression that most bed bug infestations produce bites more often than that. Of course, my husband doesn't react to the bites so that could make my theory incorrect since for all I know he gets bitten every night.

I got seven bites on the 9th, and one on the 13th (so two nights on the same week for the first time ever). That made me fear that things were getting worse. Then, nothing until today. I was starting to feel really hopeful, but this morning I have a new bite on my neck.

Does this mean that the ones who bit me two weeks ago have (mostly) been killed by the DE that the PCO put down? It seems that if they all survived, I would have gotten more than one new bite.

2. Clarity

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Apr 2 2009 21:30:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Nobody has any input for me?

I'm starting to hope against hope that maybe the idiot PCO wasn't such an idiot after all and his DE has finally worked. In the last three weeks I've only gotten one bug bite. Surely that must be a good sign?

3. Emmm

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Apr 2 2009 22:34:30
    #

Login to Send PM

I don't have an answer for you, but I'm curious as well. I only had 3-4 sets of bites-- two of them within 24 hours and some may have come from my boyfriend's. Then I was bitten 9 days later, then just ONE bite 9 days after that. Three weeks later, and nothing that I notice. So maybe you do have just a small number of bugs, who knows? I want to say I've been told they feed somewhere between a week to two weeks? But someone on here should know. Maybe it's in the FAQ.

4. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Apr 3 2009 0:45:01
    #

Login to Send PM

They may bite once a week. More or less. Sometimes less frequently, or a bit sooner than a week (temperature plays a role).

Keep in mind, 7 bites can be 7 bed bugs. If the bites are in a row or in triangles, it could be a couple of bed bugs. (They sometimes but don't necessarily stop and start over when disturbed, we're told, hence the patterns.) And then another one 4 nights later.

It's true that your husband may be bitten as well.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  5. Scared and Frustrated

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Jun 7 2009 13:04:12
    #

Login to Send PM

[quote]

When you say temperature is a factor, does that mean that bite more when it's warmer, or less?

6. DragonFlight

banned

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Jun 7 2009 14:10:43
    #

Login to Send PM

Triangles are bed bug bites?

7. DragonFlight

banned

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Jun 7 2009 14:23:49
    #

Login to Send PM

I have (2) single red little bumps on two different toes on each foot, but they have already been there for over three weeks what could they be ? There hard and they hurt when I pick at it.

8. LVK9

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Jun 7 2009 14:27:25
    #

Login to Send PM

They feed more frequently the warmer it is. They also produce eggs more frequently and live a shorter period of time. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

9. Adele

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Jun 7 2009 14:29:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Then don't pick at them

leave the bites alone and try not to scratch and they will heal faster with less scarring and itch less

as for the bites - they will definitely bite more the warmer it gets - but the most frequently I've heard of is every 4-5 days but could be more like once every 7 days or so

if the temps are colder their metabolism slows down and they bite less frequently

10. DragonFlight

banned

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Jun 7 2009 15:03:56
    #

Login to Send PM

Actually they could be corns or something like that. The people who moved in across the hall from us do have Bed Bugs, and from a post, I posted a few days ago were still trying to figure it out. They can bite in triangles ? Does anyone have any percentage on what bites show up as or get marked as cause right now I feel very confused. I understand that baby nymphs are hard to see cause they are transparent, but from what I've read there bite is just as "bad" as a adult and after each bite and they need a blood meal instantly upon birth to reach to the next state of bed bug hood. Is it safe to assume, if one has not seen any nymphs that a female didn't give birth ? Is it also safe to assume that possible 1-2 could be hiding and if they are both females which can't make off spring they try to bite if and when they can otherwise they hide out most of the time ? Until either a) you see it and kill it b) step on it c) chemicals wipe it out d) it gives up on life. How long does it take for babies to hatch, in cooler room ? And after that given period if one does not see nymphs (which I saw one close up) that you could rest easy knowing your place wasn't a baby ward hospital for bed bugs?

11. DangerousDave

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Jun 7 2009 15:57:42
    #

Login to Send PM

This is confusing.
    So they are clearly more active and thrive in warmer temperatures, but dislike heat (in excess of 90F). I understand they are very resilient, but some clarification on this would be nice. From just my observations of the begbugs I've had, they always preferred a dark COOL (50-70F) environment, albeit their dislike for light.

12. Traumabugged

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Jun 7 2009 16:48:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Oh my, I suddenly realized that the fact I'm getting fewer bites does not necessarily mean the three (casual) sprays from the PCO worked... just been bitten on the face like three days ago...

13. rayofsun

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Mon Oct 8 2012 0:22:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Can you tell me what happened in your case? Did you really have bed bugs, and did you ever get rid of them? I have recently began to get bitten a week ago and already have more than 30 bites on me. I don't know what to do. I am scared. I am not sure if it is bug bites or not.

14. camilogo1

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Mon Oct 8 2012 9:46:18
    #

Login to Send PM

I also had bed bugs about 5 months ago. I thought I got rid of them, but now I am getting bitten again every two weeks but only 3 at a time. I was wondering if there's just one left. I can't find any signs of them like I could when I was last infested. I steamed again but got bit the very next day. I don't want to go through this again.

15. rayofsun

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Tue Oct 9 2012 0:24:31
    #

Login to Send PM

When you were getting bit 5 mos ago, how often did you get bit? How many bites per "session"?

16. lucibug

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Wed Oct 17 2012 11:20:30
    #

Login to Send PM

camilogo1 - 1 week ago  » 
    I also had bed bugs about 5 months ago. I thought I got rid of them, but now I am getting bitten again every two weeks but only 3 at a time. I was wondering if there's just one left. I can't find any signs of them like I could when I was last infested. I steamed again but got bit the very next day. I don't want to go through this again.

OH no. Are you certain? Are the bites the same as before? This is discouraging to hear. Do you thini perhaps the marks are from anything else? I've been told not to go by only bite marks as your skin reacts to different things. A safer way is to go by fecal marks and shedded shells.

17. idontwantbedbugsplease

newbite

Posted 10 months ago
    Wed Nov 20 2013 23:16:37
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello! I am a college student and have had bedbug paranoia since September. Back in September I was getting pretty frequent bites on my arms and legs, in lines of two or three (rarely just one bite). I had the exterminator come in for two different two-week sessions of monitoring and both times he said there were no signs of bugs, none in the monitors, no fecal matter, no blood, nothing. I didn't get any bites after October 12th.

I forgot about it for a while. Maybe two weeks ago I noticed a strange stink-bomb like smell in my closet but it went away the next day. And then, about three days ago, I rearranged the furniture in my room. Two days ago I noticed a triangular pattern of bites on my hand and a line of three bites on my arm. Still, there are absolutely no signs of bugs. The only explanation I can come up with is that I'm having a strange reaction to dust mites or that, when the heaters were turned on in our dorm and we had to keep the windows open for about a week, mosquitos and other insects found their way in.

Does this sound like bed bugs? Would they not feed for over a month and then suddenly begin again?

18. needrest

Posted 10 months ago
    Fri Nov 22 2013 8:16:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi idontwantbedbugsplease, I,ve read on this site time and time again that you can,t tell anything from bites. The smell in your closet could have come from a stink bug. Several weeks ago there was an article in our local newspaper about stinkbugs getting into peoples homes this time of year. You can Google Stinkbugs. Non expert here just some thoughts.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.