Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » General Topics

How often do bedbugs bite?

(8 posts)
  1. seriously phobic

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat May 8 2010 13:33:36
    #

Login to Send PM

I woke up yesterday with three bites -- two on either side of my foot, and one above my heel. I was wearing socks until I went to bed, and I think it must still be too early for mosquitos, so it SEEMS like something must have bitten me in bed. So far today I don't think there are any new bites from last night.

I've developed a crazy fear of bedbugs, so I'm trying to be reasonable and calm about this, and not tear my house apart and dry every piece of clothing I own.

I was thinking I would wait and see if I get any other bites before calling my housing management company. Does that seem reasonable? If I somehow contracted a small number of bedbugs, how often would I get bitten? How many nights without new bites would indicate an all clear? And do spiders ever bite three times?

I'm moving at the end of the month, and was planning to sell some furniture before I go, so I want to make sure I don't accidentally infest anyone else.

2. loubugs

old timer

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat May 8 2010 13:58:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Feeding can take place every few days, but it depends on how full the bugs are to begin with. If there are additional bugs arriving, then these could be hungry and will feed on you. Also feeding depends on temperature, warmer temps and bugs will be more active and metabolism would be increased. You should try some monitors. Spiders aren't really a problem, but often people just say spider bite when there are unknown lesions discovered.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult in all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology.
  3. seriously phobic

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat May 8 2010 14:14:30
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks Lou!! I looked around and don't see any obvious signs. Maybe I should turn over the box spring, pull up the fabric, and inspect? (This is too scary, but maybe I should).

I just switched beds -- I bought my roommates from her. She's been sleeping on it for the last 9 months, and I'm quite positive would have said something if she had problems. I have climbups on my own, and put them on hers yesterday.

Should I just call a PCO then? I can't think of a plausible alternative for where these bites came from (unless there was a mosquito, and my leg was sticking out from under the covers)? But I'm so crazy paranoid, I'm trying to not do anything irrational.

4. loubugs

old timer

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat May 8 2010 17:01:57
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes, I'd inspect the box spring, too. You have encasements on mattress' & box springs?

5. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat May 8 2010 17:06:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Consider getting some monitors as Lou said. ClimbUps may be a good investment.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  6. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat May 8 2010 17:08:32
    #

Login to Send PM

I deleted an earlier post because I missed what you'd said about your roommate's bed.

I would be very suspicious that it may be infested. If your roommate does not react allergically (as many people do not), she may have no idea.

You could also have been bitten at work, somewhere else you visited, a public place or someone's home, on a train, etc. Remember bites do not always appear immediately. You can be bitten one day and notice the bites when you wake up the next morning, depending on your own allergic response.

On the other hand, a new used bed is a very suspicious possible source. Do not move anything in your home until you find out what's going on -- you may spread them. Read the FAQs. If they did come from the roommate's bed, then the rest of her room is likely also infested.

7. seriously phobic

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat May 8 2010 17:52:28
    #

Login to Send PM

The thing is, she's been sleeping in this bed only 1-3 nights a week, with pauses of up to 3 weeks sometimes. I would have thought bugs would migrate to my room (and get caught in the climbups?) if she had them (I've thought about this, as I'm paranoid).

The place she lives permanently is with her fiance, and I would have thought that if that place was infested, they would know it. She's at least somewhat aware of bedbugs. I can't see any signs in the rest of the room. It's pretty empty, but the desk and bookshelves she left look fine to me, they don't have many hiding spaces.

Her bed isn't encased, I'm ordering covers now.

I'm just not sure whether three bites in one night is enough to make my (responsive) landlord pay for a full inspection.

Should I definitely rip off the cloth stapled to the back of the box spring? I've been seriously too anxious to do this, but if I should before getting a PCO involved, I'll find the strength somewhere.

Thanks so much for both of your input!!!

8. nervousaboutbedbugs

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat May 8 2010 20:26:31
    #

Login to Send PM

The new bed is suspicious, but I also wouldn't rule out mosquitoes. At least where I live, they're out in full force already.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

192,863 posts in 29,743 topics over 91 months by 12,859 of 20,150 members. Latest: DarthUnit, redfruit, JEPA