Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Tools/ideas for fighting bed bugs

how not to spread

(19 posts)
  1. noway

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Nov 22 2009 14:25:35
    #

Login to Send PM

My husband and have been battling mystery bites since late September. We haven't had any evidence of bed bugs, but based on the appearance, timing, location. etc we think it might be bed bugs. I have the daily routine of laundry, vacuuming, cleaning, etc, blah ,blah, blah, My husband has a friend that he visits several times a week. His friend doesn't drive, so he takes him on errands. We just found out that the friend's apartment, beside fleas and roaches, probably has bed bugs. What precautions does my husband need to take to prevent reinfesting us again? If he stays out of the apartment, is it enough to just spray down his car with Bedlam or some such product? Should he immediately isolate his clothes and shoes in our garage before entering the house? Thanks for any advice.

2. flabergasted

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Nov 22 2009 15:01:39
    #

Login to Send PM

noway - 13 minutes ago  » 
    My husband and have been battling mystery bites since late September. We haven't had any evidence of bed bugs, but based on the appearance, timing, location. etc we think it might be bed bugs. I have the daily routine of laundry, vacuuming, cleaning, etc, blah ,blah, blah, My husband has a friend that he visits several times a week. His friend doesn't drive, so he takes him on errands. We just found out that the friend's apartment, beside fleas and roaches, probably has bed bugs. What precautions does my husband need to take to prevent reinfesting us again? If he stays out of the apartment, is it enough to just spray down his car with Bedlam or some such product? Should he immediately isolate his clothes and shoes in our garage before entering the house? Thanks for any advice.

I started get bites around the end of Septmber also and never found any bugs in my house. I thought I had scabbies because depending on how you react the bite they can look the same. My brother started getting them around the same time but becasue he works outside alot thought he had black fly bites each of us reacted differently on thursday he found a bug at his place.

I am told these things hitch ride in duffle bags, suite cases and on clothing. I also vaccum quite regularily becasue I have dust allergies. I have a big lazy boy rocker recliner that has a 4 foot diameter base which turn and vaccum behind easily and when we pulled it out and flipped it it was bug central and they were all under the base. They then spread out to the couch and last night we found them in the stereo speakers covers. I seem be lucky here so far they haven't got into the upstairs bedrooms becasue we haven't found fecol and shells. If your getting bites in bed check under your night table and check the drawers in work towards the bed frame then lift off the box and mat these guys hide in cracks. I am new bite to but a quick study I have already propably cleaning up over 200 in the living room.

3. noway

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Nov 22 2009 17:55:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for your answer ,Flabergasted, I have literally turned my house upside down repeatedly. I've looked in, around and under the nightstand, dressers, drawers, headboard(if I were a BB I would totally live in my headboard - old, cracked wood with lots of screw holes)couch, recliner,rolled up the area rug,crawled around with a flashlight loking into every crevice etc. I have not found a single bug, egg, skin,feces - nothing. I don't have a boxspring - just an ew foam mattress on a wooden slatted frame. (I'm very suspicious that the BBs may have been delivered along with the bed if they didn't come from the friend's apartment.) I've sprayed the whole thing down with alcohol. I use DE in cracks everywhere. I'm fairly certain it's not scabies from the research I've done. We're still gettin bitten nearly every night, but I need to know how to prevent even more from spreading . Thanks.

4. bugbuster

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Nov 22 2009 18:44:14
    #

Login to Send PM

You need an eagle-eyed inspector, like KillerQueen if you're in the NY area, to find the harborage.

5. noway

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Nov 22 2009 18:59:13
    #

Login to Send PM

we're upstate, with exterminators that mostly advertise rodent control... need help!

6. flabergasted

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Nov 22 2009 19:03:22
    #

Login to Send PM

noway - 1 hour ago  » 
    Thanks for your answer ,Flabergasted, I have literally turned my house upside down repeatedly. I've looked in, around and under the nightstand, dressers, drawers, headboard(if I were a BB I would totally live in my headboard - old, cracked wood with lots of screw holes)couch, recliner,rolled up the area rug,crawled around with a flashlight loking into every crevice etc. I have not found a single bug, egg, skin,feces - nothing. I don't have a boxspring - just an ew foam mattress on a wooden slatted frame. (I'm very suspicious that the BBs may have been delivered along with the bed if they didn't come from the friend's apartment.) I've sprayed the whole thing down with alcohol. I use DE in cracks everywhere. I'm fairly certain it's not scabies from the research I've done. We're still gettin bitten nearly every night, but I need to know how to prevent even more from spreading . Thanks.

It's now night here just about that when I been doing my best hunting. Since finding these things I've read alot of the forms. Watch for a new form I am about to post one of the oltimes told me to post out some pictures to see if someone can identify another bug we found with the BB's. It seemed to kill a BB in the container I have them sealed in for the PCO coming maybe well both get some answers on further searching.

7. noway

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Nov 22 2009 20:55:15
    #

Login to Send PM

I spend more time on this site than anything else I do in my life....

8. flabergasted

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Nov 22 2009 22:47:30
    #

Login to Send PM

noway - 1 hour ago  » 
    I spend more time on this site than anything else I do in my life....

Me to everytime I walk by the laptop I have to read the new postings it like an obsession plus if you and your husband can't find them your probable getting really frustrated. I was home sick with the flu and in the prone position on the couch that we found them in when my brother told me we didn't have scabbies but bed bugs. I haven't found single trace of them in my upstairs bedroom while ripping all the clothing out of the draws and bagging. So I am hopefull my paranoia after the bites started showing up and I thought it was scabbies helped. I striped my bed sprayed it and stayed on my couch after the skin treatment it was an easier area to keep clean. until but usually one treatment works but I had more that when big brother figured out somethng else was wrong in dodge. The only thing that could have been worse is my test results came back H1N1 last week.

Cilecto told me to check out this web site Bed Bugs Co UK about a question I asked him. There was some really good pictures on there what to look for when suspect you have them but can't find them. I can't remember if I found it under the resources or useful stuff I have been read so much. If you need a sounding board just check click on the pm and send a personal message and vent it's only 9:00 here I am sure I will be up until late.

9. noway

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Nov 24 2009 18:15:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for your reply, Flabergasted. Sorry about your H1N1 - hope you get well. I looked at that site, I have not found anything that remotely resembles anything like those photos.I'm still washing the sheets every other day. I examine and alcohol spray my bed frame at the same time. My mattress is spotless, literally, and I have no boxspring. I have sticky tape pads under the supports(can't use regular climb ups because of the shape of the legs) I've only caught a spider. I can't believe I want to catch a bed bug just to know! Thanks for your help. I'll keep posting.

10. noway

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat Mar 20 2010 16:51:27
    #

Login to Send PM

well..an update...We just celebrated the 3 month anniversay of solving the mystery bites(cheyletiella mites)
    My husband came home from his friend's apartment with "some bugs in a jar." I got out the magnifying glass and from the excellent photos and information on this site, I had no trouble at all identifying 2 adult bed bugs, a younger light colored nymph and a clump of eggs. Before we were suspicious of bed bugs and now we know for certain and I'm very worried. How do we prevent these from spreading to our house!!
    Help!!

11. FreetoSleep

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat Mar 20 2010 20:52:55
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm only new at this, but it might be wise to have your husband bring a spare set of clothing with him on his trips. Put that set in an airtight ziplock bag and have him change before coming home, putting the soiled clothing in the bag. Wash it IMMEDIATELY.

Have the woman/man that is being picked up shower and change into a fresh set of clothes that has been washed, dryed and most importantly SEALED AWAY. This should be done as close to the pick up time as possible, within minutes.

That should be a good start. Lets see what others think.

12. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat Mar 20 2010 21:06:39
    #

Login to Send PM

There's a FAQ in the travel FAQs about how to avoid bringing bed bugs home. It applies to visiting friends as much as to other forms of "travel".

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  13. noway

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Mar 21 2010 7:48:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks to both of you for your replies.
    I will research and figure out what we need to do. The stubborness is the biggest problem.."I haven't spread them yet, why is it riskier now that we know it's definitely bed bugs?"

14. FreetoSleep

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Mar 21 2010 16:21:45
    #

Login to Send PM

The real question is "How do you know you haven't spread them?"

15. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Mar 21 2010 17:34:39
    #

Login to Send PM

noway - 9 hours ago  » 
    Thanks to both of you for your replies.
    I will research and figure out what we need to do. The stubborness is the biggest problem.."I haven't spread them yet, why is it riskier now that we know it's definitely bed bugs?"

It was risky then, you just didn't know it. It's risky now. Every day the bugs multiply and the risk grows a bit greater. If I cross the street each morning without observing traffic or signals and haven't been hit by a car, does not mean there's no risk of it. I've been lucky.

The converse to this is if you've tolerated a rash for weeks or months and just discovered it's because of BB, take a breath. Reality has not changed significantly, only your understanding of it. The infestation has been growing over time and will continue to do so, but not a lot will change if you take a few days to work in a more planful way.

Guess you don't know if you haven't spread them. You do your best not to.

Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night...
    - Psalms 91:5-7

(Not an pro)
  16. noway

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Mar 21 2010 18:55:06
    #

Login to Send PM

We continue to be bite free. I don't know if they have spread them anywhere else. The whole buiding must be infested.

17. wchicago

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Mar 21 2010 19:40:29
    #

Login to Send PM

hi noway

the friend who has bed bugs (the one you're worried about potentially spreading them to you and others), is his apartment/apartment building being treated? does he know his landlord is legally required to treat? i'm just thinking if your husband could grab that many bugs, nymphs, eggs, in a jar -well, it won't be hard for a pco to find evidence in that guys apartment then, will it?

i'm so sorry you're going through this, and really sorry that your husband seems somewhat cavalier about it (you'd think, having endured the mite bites, he'd realize he doesn't want to mess with bed bugs) maybe explain to him that an acquaintance on the board has been bitten by both bed bugs AND dog mites -and believe me, the bedbug bites were way WAY worse. also, i (like you guys) got rid of the mites in a matter of days after my dog started treatment - but the bedbug saga, yup that lasted 4 months and cost THOUSANDS of dollars. so really, it would behoove him and his friend to be careful.

thus, i second folks suggestion of your husband showering and changing into bagged clothes upon arrival home and his potentially exposed clothes go straight into the dryer. his shoes stay outside the house. his friend should also shower and change into fresh hot dried clothes before getting into your husbands car.

is there any way your husband could take him to run errands like once a week instead of three times a week? less work/risk for all. i hate to say "shun the bed bugged" and i promise you i'm not, but if your husband and his friend are not willing to take precautions, than the less contact you have with that friend, the less risk of infesting your home (which is so not fun, seriously, its one of the most miserable things i've experienced - was actually more miserable than my divorce, more exhausting than fighting a life threatening flare of lupus, more anxiety producing than my tenure review, etc. it was just plain and simple, 4 months of tedious, stressful, expensive, and definitive non-fun). i encourage you and your husband to take every possible precaution to avoid having to go through it.

and now that your husbands friend has plenty of evidence -GET HIM TO TELL HIS LANDLORD TO GET A PCO!
    i am so so sorry you're going through this. how very frustrating.
    good luck!

18. noway

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat Mar 27 2010 15:24:15
    #

Login to Send PM

wchicago
    thanks for your understanding of the situation. I have gone so far as to say,"Just stay away!" but I know that's not happening. The landlord is not very cooperative. It took close to a year to get him to treat for roaches. And I don't know how much effort the other tenants are willing to put forth in terms of complaints and prepping for treatments. (This is a "low-rent" situation and no one can afford to be evicted or voluntarily move out.) I agree that a PCO should have no trouble at all finding harborages. Thanks for the advice, everyone, and I will try to persuade my husband to take this seriously.

19. 4legsorless

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Aug 23 2010 15:14:19
    #

Login to Send PM

I travel between NYC and Philadelphia often, and i always have some luggage or bags. The area in manhattan has bbs, i haven't heard anything in the area of philly, and sometimes my first stop is a relative's... i always wash my clothes and shake out any thing else, but is there a consumer available treatment that would work on your typical luggage to place a barrier between destinations? it would be worth it to me to buy almost anything, as i've dealt with bbs in vancouver, and i can't take it. i would just throw the whole thing inn the oven before leaving, but i think the handles would melt...
    thanks for any information you could offer

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

201,708 posts in 31,253 topics over 95 months by 13,519 of 17,231 members. Latest: wunderful2, Nastybug1, Fozsbear