Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » General Topics

How much to tip the exterminators who come?

(10 posts)
  1. mangycur

Posted 6 years ago
    Sat Jan 26 2008 10:36:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Hey everybody

I live in New York and we tip everybody. The idea is, they'll do a better job if you sweeten the deal. My last exterminator came because I saw one bug within my 90-day guarantee period. So it was a free follow-up.

I told the exterminator I was moving to a different apartment in the same building. So he offered to spray the apartment I was moving into "since he was here." Sounds great, right? So I tipped him and his assistant each $45 bucks. The idea being that a general spray costs $480 for the company I hired, so if you tip 20% (like in a restaurant) that would be about $96, split 2 ways and rounded . . .

He was embarrassed by the amount of money I gave him and asked me if I was sure I wanted to give that much. I wasn't going to take it back, so I said, "of course, you're saving me potentially having to purchase another full-on extermination."

But it gave me pause, because that's still a lot of money. Also, after I had already handed over the money, I asked him how many hours to wait before going into either apartment. He said "an hour should be fine." I said I thought you generally had to wait 5 hours. He said "not this time, this was just a follow up so I didn't go too crazy in there." Sure enough, when I did go back 3 hours later (to be safe) I found that he, in fact, did not do too much in there.

I'm getting off track here. My thoughts are, how much do we tip for a great job? How much do we tip for a poor job? What do you do if you find out they "didn't go to crazy in there?" Ask them to go back in and do some more?

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Sat Jan 26 2008 10:42:10
    #

Login to Send PM

We don't have a tipping culture in the UK, its very rare for any kind of work other than restaurants and cab drivers.

As such my only comment is if you are going to tip do so only for a good job. That way like Pavlov's dog PCO's will realise that a job well done may get then a little bonus and thus the quality of work will improve.

Just a suggestion.

David

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bedbug infestations in domestic and commercial settings. The patent numbers are GB2463953 and GB2470307.

"Open minds find faster solutions"

"Astral Entomologist - because so many people say my ideas are out of this world"
  3. mangycur

Posted 6 years ago
    Sat Jan 26 2008 11:33:28
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks David. Well I told him I was going to tip him before he started, so I hoped that would be an incentive.

4. BBcoukHome

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Sat Jan 26 2008 13:29:33
    #

Login to Send PM

It's funny but 99% of the time a thank you and offer of a coffee is all it takes.

I meet all walks of life in all states of annoyance through to extreme distress and it never fails to amuse me the range of reactions you get from people.

Most are facinated as to how I got started doing this and amazed that they are not the only ones.

I would be interested to see if there is a corrolation between tip and eradication rate.

David

5. Winston O. Buggy

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Sat Jan 26 2008 18:03:02
    #

Login to Send PM

As some one who started out in the field a number of years ago and I won't say how
    many, I would say the TIP should be a percent of your annual income, the question is how much. Actually I remember trying to give tip money back if I felt the person needed it more than me but was always pleased when I got it. Obviously I like to think that everyone gives 100% all the time but I have my doubts. TIPS which was originally
    To Insure Prompt Service has in many instances become an institutionalized form of extortion and should not be for mediocre service. It should reward exceptional service, did you feel the person was really thorough,were your expectations met or exceeded. Unfortunately in your instance it is a bit more complicated as you entered into a conspiracy to get over on the company. So I guess you got what you paid for.
    It also depends on how much you will need to deal with the person you are tipping in
    the future. When you tip folks to take away your mattress you are doing it because you
    don't want to deal with it and are relived, if it is the service manager at a car dealership you do so for the next time you may have to bring your car in. In general $10-20 is a good tip. Please don't ask for materials as some are Restricted and all must be in properly labeled containers. Be aware that politeness and an offer for a non alcoholic beverage are always appropriate and well received.

6. mangycur

Posted 6 years ago
    Sat Jan 26 2008 18:40:55
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks Winston! The PCO I've been using seems to send different people to my house every time (I've had 1 spray and 2 follow-ups.) The first spray had 2 people come. The second had one person come. The third had one experienced sprayer and one apprentice. So I'm guessing $15 per person if there are two people ($30 total) and $20 for one person is a good tip? Plus a couple non alcoholic beverages?

As for enterring into a conspiracy against the company--I really do appreciate you calling me on that. It seemed like a normal thing at the time, due to the culture I live in--but that was an illusion. I have the karma to live with. I also know the company is getting an extra commision off a neighbor. The company will ultimately be fine. But from a consumer's standpoint, it's worth noting that keeping yourself completely above board would be better in the long run. In my situation, I could have complained to the company that their personell didn't do a thourough job, had I not accepted the temptation to fenagle something extra.

7. Winston O. Buggy

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Jan 27 2008 10:26:16
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for acknowledging and I can certainly understand why people do it I mean bed bugs is one of the last things folks want to be spending money on. It just creates issues.I also suspect that if the company was told you wanted to preemptively treat your new apartment that they would have been reasonable and would have been more thorough. Good luck and $10 a person is quite fine, if you are satisfied.

8. Beth

account closed

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Aug 4 2010 7:45:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Do people tip their exterminators???

9. bug-tired

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Aug 4 2010 7:48:28
    #

Login to Send PM

Never would have ocurred to me in a million years to tip the exterminator.

10. Beth

account closed

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Aug 4 2010 7:50:27
    #

Login to Send PM

I know me either, not when handing them a check for hundreds of dollars!

I may tip mine today though just because this company has been very kind.

Amy

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

200,116 posts in 31,020 topics over 94 months by 13,443 of 20,849 members. Latest: senses123, So Mad, joshc