Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » General Topics

How many times will the same bb bite in one feeding?

(9 posts)
  1. bb-baltimore

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat May 2 2009 12:23:54
    #

Login to Send PM

How many times will the same bb bite in one feeding? I just felt like I was getting bit and sure enough I looked down and the bb was right on my shirt right next to where I got bit. I flicked it off and looked at it up close with a flashlight. It was fat and full of blood. There are about 6 brand new welts right in the same place on me. Would one bug bite that many times?

2. BugsInTO

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat May 2 2009 22:31:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes. Lots of people get the 3 x's in a row. I did. I've seen photos of bite trails that clearly look like one bug on a trek with lots more than 3 bites. I got one bite that was incredibly itchy and when the swelling went down I could see it was five bites grouped together in a very close area.

3. bait

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue May 5 2009 4:26:24
    #

Login to Send PM

I'd like to know this myself. Those who feed colonies, how many bites - or attempts at feeding - have you witnessed per bug?

One problem with this question is that a bed bug may bite one person once and be satisfied, yet want/need many more from another depending on one's skin, veins/capillaries, maybe the blood itself. (I know of someone with sickle cell trait that does not seem to get bit at all.)

4. buggyinsocal

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue May 5 2009 11:17:37
    #

Login to Send PM

My understanding is that given its preference, a bed bug will only bite once per feeding. If it bites more than once, it's because it was disturbed while feeding. (I'm basing this on the footage I've seen of entomologists feeding their colonies or doing bite tests on people who volunteered for that. In other words, those are controlled, clinical conditions unlike a bed bug feeding in the wild of our bedrooms.)

Those famous trails, I thought, were the result of say, you moving your leg and the bug going "Uh oh, the giant food source might squish me" and reattaching itself when you settled back down.

Am I wrong about that? Now you've made me curious.

5. LosingMyMind

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue May 5 2009 11:36:03
    #

Login to Send PM

bb-baltimore -

6. LosingMyMind

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue May 5 2009 11:39:46
    #

Login to Send PM

bb-baltimore-

[center]I was hoping to ask you a question about your "full" bug. When you say "fat", was it sort of 'elongated fat' or was it 'round fat', perhaps like a tick?

Thanks. -Sandy-

7. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue May 5 2009 12:24:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

I believe up to 3 times is an accurate number although having fed thousands in my lab I am yet to see one hang about to take a second attempt at feeding unless it was mercilessly teased into breaking off before getting a full meal.

Interestingly enough I see more people with single bite patterns than I do with the trio of breakfast, dinner then lunch.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bedbug infestations in domestic and commercial settings. The patent numbers are GB2463953 and GB2470307.
  8. anakaday

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Sun Sep 9 2012 20:45:02
    #

Login to Send PM

I got bit by one bug 10 times 4 inches accross top of trousers.
    I then transported a bedbug from that house and got bitten 10 times all over the top of my arm 2 weeks later. There might be 2 because I have 2 small bits on top of my chest from the same night. I haven't been bitten again several days later. I am sure there can't be more than this.
    I am terrified because my room is a total mess full of papers all over the floor and impossible to clean. It might be messy but was free from nasty creatures.

9. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 1 year ago
    Sun Sep 9 2012 20:56:36
    #

Login to Send PM

In my observation the bugs I feed overwhelmingly stay at one place and feed to engorgement unless disturbed.

And by "disturbed", I mean pushing & proding with a probe or the edge of a business card. Actually, Im surprised at how strngly they tend to "hold on" when feeding and I'm trying to make them move.

Hope this helps ! paul b.

As a consulting entomologist I provide services for entities such as property managers, health/housing/emergency depts, schools, hospitality/resort/cruise industry, homeowners, food service, retail, pest professionals & product manufacturers. I recommend only efficacious methodologies, products and equipment. Professional relations have included Actisol, AMVAC, Atrix, BASF, Bayer, Catchmaster, FMC, GMT, Eaton, MattressSafe, Nisus, ProTeam, Rockwell, Syngenta & Woodstream. No compensation for product sales occurs. As inventor of Knight Safe bed bug sleep tent provides a royalty.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.