Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Reader questions (do not fit into other categories)

How long to keep dry things in the dryer to kill bed bugs?

(7 posts)
  1. Jeanette

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Nov 7 2008 12:13:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Since it takes less drying time to kill bed bugs in a dry item, and I need to ensure that my knapsack that I will be taking with me on my trip next month is bug free, how long would you suggest I keep it (empty and dry and being the sole item) in the dryer to be sure any bugs in it are killed? Can I put it on the Delicate Cycle or do I have to put it on the "Whites and Coloured" cycle? I live in an appartment complex and the dryers have three settings.

The complete Delicate Cycle of 60 minutes killed any bed bugs in clothes that could not be put on the other two hotter settings. I know this because I have been wearing these clothes for the past few months and have been bite-free. However, I am not sure how it will work on my knapsack. Maybe 20 minutes on a hotter setting is better for the knapsack since it is made or thicker more durable material than the clothes I put in the dryer?

Can anyone help me with this please? Nobugsonme, you mentioned you had put washed and air-dried knapsacks in the dryer to kill bed bugs. Can you please let me know which setting you used for the dryer and for how many minutes? I know that what worked for you might not work for me and I am willing to take the chance that the knapsack may get damaged, but would like you to share your experience with me please.

That last thing I want to do is take bed bugs with me on my trip to visit family for Christmas.

2. bitten123

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Nov 7 2008 12:37:09
    #

Login to Send PM

I have put everything in my dryer, with the exception of my kids and dogs....

I have also kept my little infrared laser thermometer handy to test different items to make sure I have achieved a very intense heat.

So here is my personal advice, for whatever it is worth:

I would put the dryer on the hottest setting for a knapsack. When I measure temperatures of different pieces of clothing, the thicker the material the more time it takes to thoroughly heat the clothing (noted exception is leather, which probably is not supposed to be in dryer, but hey, I threw it in ours anyways). Leather seems to heat quickly and stay hot longer. Canvas takes longer to get as hot but cools much quicker. I would say 20 minutes on hottest setting should be safe to kill eggs, bugs, etc but only if all the whole thing reaches 120. Only way to know for sure is a thermometer of some sort. I would run it the whole cylce on high to be sure.

3. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Nov 7 2008 12:38:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Nobody can say. It must get to lethal temps of 120+ and preferably 140+ for 10 minutes to be on the safe side. The higher the temp, the faster they die but 120 is the minimum.

You need an infrared thermometer or better an instant read kitchen thermometer. For clothes I'd go with the kitchen thermometer because the tip will go deep into where BBs could have retreated. An infrared will give you the surface temp but not the deep creases.

Run the stuff for a cycle, open the door, plunge the thermometer into the deepest folds of the thing, shut the door and wait 5 minutes.

It must hit lethal temps to kill bugs. All the suggestions are making assumptions on the dryer. You taking a thermometer to your dryer will determine your times.

Don't mean to sound crass but if someone tells you 15 minutes and your dryer isn't hot enough you will not accomplish a thing. Measure, and you can feel confident in your dryers ability to kill bugs. Don't measure and you are gambling with reinfestation.

Jim

4. Marixpress

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Nov 7 2008 12:43:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Just to be on the safe side, I dry for 70 minutes. My clothes are so hot that it burns to touch them lol
    Hi. I'm paranoid.

5. Adele

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Nov 7 2008 21:21:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Paranoid!!

marix - i do the same thing - my sheets go DRY into the dryer for 90 minutes!!

Hi - I'm more paranoid than you are!!!

6. debgub

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Sep 12 2009 2:24:10
    #

Login to Send PM

I am new to this site and it seems like when a person posts, their posts get cut short in mid-sentence. How do I read the rest? I might have a bedbug problem and I am trying to find out information. I am logged on obviously to be able to post this thanks

7. debgub

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Sep 12 2009 2:28:28
    #

Login to Send PM

I wanted to know what to do with things that can not be put in dryer like knick-knacks, filing cabinet contents like records of bills and things, books and jewelry? How do you disinfect from bedbugs?

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.