How long to find concrete evidence?

(6 posts)
  1. Nervous4Life

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Tue Apr 11 2017 15:24:21
    #

Login to Send PM

I posted earlier this week contemplating whether to have my home fumigated after having a K-9 inspection that only turned up a scent but no evidence. I've decided to listen to the advise I've received here and hold off until I actually find something. So my new question is, how long should I go without finding this evidence before I consider our home clear? 3 months? 6 months? We've never gone through this before so whether it's expert advice or just based off experience I'll take it. I'm the only one who had the bites but I'm still checking all 3 bedrooms each day for any signs. I've checked the couch too but not much beyond that. At the very least I would have thought I'd have found a fecal stain or something by now. The situation is...
    - Returned from travel about a month ago.
    - Found 2 very small bites/marks on my shoulder/arm about 3 weeks ago.
    - Last week K-9 found a scent on the luggage I used and also a blanket that was laying on it for a couple days.
    - Luggage was tied up in a garbage bag and moved to the garage. (Im starting to wonder if this was a bad idea since it's not really sealed.) Blanket was dried on high heat.
    - Single family home that is small 1,400 sq.ft.
    - My husband, myself, our 5 year old and 6 month old live there and occupy all 3 bedrooms.
    Thank you!!

2. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 2 months ago
    Tue Apr 11 2017 15:39:29
    #

Login to Send PM

They wouldn't stop feeding if it were bed bugs. A couple of bites a few weeks ago and then nothing makes me think mosquito or some other cause.
    At three month's time even a poor search should turn up some positive signs of activity, but I don't think you have bed bugs with the information given.

What whispers the whisker?
  3. Nervous4Life

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Tue Apr 11 2017 16:46:56
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you. I will hold off on turning into a complete crazy person. At least for now anyways... 😖

4. Nervous4Life

newbite

Posted 1 month ago
    Thu May 11 2017 7:56:15
    #

Login to Send PM

I just wanted to throw it out there that I have not found anything over the last month that would lead me to conclude bed bugs. I think it's safe to say I let bed bug mania get the best of me. My take away from this experience is that if I suspect them in the future I will do more research in choosing a reputable k9 team that verifies alerts... if I even chose to go that route. Had the dog not alerted in my daughters room I probably never would have gotten so worked up about this in the first place. It's pretty crazy how even just the prospect of one little bug can induce that much panic in someone. To echo many others, this is a great site and resource to get someone up to speed if you are unfamiliar with these gross little guys.

5. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 1 month ago
    Thu May 11 2017 8:18:08
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for sharing that.

David

6. BattleoftheBug

newbite

Posted 1 month ago
    Mon May 15 2017 0:17:55
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm wondering the same thing. I had gotten some painful bites while on my sofa, which I quickly started avoiding. [It's gone now] After that I spent all my time in the BR when at home. On April 26 I placed ClimbUP brand interceptors under the casters of my bed and double-sided carpet tape above the casters. It's been more than two weeks now and I see nothing in the interceptors and just one tiny black bug on one of the tapes--but it's too small for me to see just what it is, even magnified. I doubt it's a bed bug. All I ever saw that seemed to be BB related was one egg stuck to my vacuum. There's little doubt in my mind about that. Anyway, it never had a chance to hatch. I have been the bait the whole two weeks here and evidently nothing viable wanted to get to me. I also have a long strip of carpet tape on the wall behind my bed, just beneath the top of the mattress and above where I prop up the cushions. Nothing stuck on that. As I was bitten while on the couch more than two weeks ago, is it possible there's still something that I can't see waiting to hatch from those blood meals? The PCO is coming to spray on Tuesday for good measure.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

257,195 posts in 41,256 topics over 125 months by 18,080 of 18,499 members. Latest: Mendace, astephe2, Cmarie32