Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » General Topics

How long have you been sleeping with the light on?

(20 posts)
  1. Cantfindthem

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Nov 9 2008 7:04:25
    #

Login to Send PM

I just woke up after falling asleep with the tv and light on (not done purposely). However, I remember when I was in my infested apartment, I used to leave the light on almost every night. How many of you do the same?

2. sodepressed

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Nov 9 2008 7:18:33
    #

Login to Send PM

done so for the past 3 nights after coming across a bug.

3. rbm

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Nov 9 2008 13:29:22
    #

Login to Send PM

for 2 months now..i keep a lighter handy...

4. Itchy-Scratchy

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Nov 10 2008 8:21:55
    #

Login to Send PM

I don't sleep with it on, but my daughter has been since July 2008. *sigh* OMG, it just occurred to me that we've been battling for over 5 months...!!

5. Marixpress

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Nov 10 2008 9:39:33
    #

Login to Send PM

I don't.

6. bitten123

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Nov 10 2008 13:01:55
    #

Login to Send PM

no lights here, but my kids and I all keep flashlights next our bed so we can look at something. The months of sept I wore out batteries like crazy by turning it on so much, but now, I turn on the flashlight about once a week to find that nothing is there, as usual.

7. buggblues

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Nov 10 2008 21:33:18
    #

Login to Send PM

months

8. Newbeebugger

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Nov 12 2008 23:14:02
    #

Login to Send PM

I used to sleep with a flashlight and hold on to it for dear life like a teddy bear I was so tramatized..now I cont. to sleep with a nightlight on near my bed and I probably will untill I die. Possible in my final resting place I'll ask for a night light option if offered. Okay, good night everyone...lights off...on...whatever!

9. SleeplessinMadison

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Nov 12 2008 23:22:57
    #

Login to Send PM

I did for about two weeks after our first treatment. Not sure how I got over it, but I did! Now I just make sure I'm really tired before I go to bed (long nights at the library are good for this) so that I make sure I sleep through the night The waking up at 4:30 am was awful - toooo hard to fall back asleep.

10. sodepressed

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Nov 13 2008 2:21:09
    #

Login to Send PM

does it help to sleep with the lights on?
    the buggers aparently have eyes...will it prevent them from coming out if its too bright? i doubt so

11. vampiremenionprey

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Nov 13 2008 2:27:27
    #

Login to Send PM

i dont usually sleep with the lights on unless i force myself to stay awake until i pass out. most nights i spend tossing and turning. i have noticed most mornings i go into my children's room they are trying to crawl back into their perspective areas of hiding. Usually at this time it's daylight, and as nocturnal as they are known to be they will come out and feed in the day if given the oppertunity. i do however find it hard to even want to sit on my bed and relax after a long day of work like i use to, lights or no lights.

12. Jeanette

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Nov 13 2008 10:48:32
    #

Login to Send PM

I slept with the light on and wore a pair of cloth eyeshades (like one does when one takes a nap on an airplane), for a few months. I now have a night light in my bedroom. I guess I will eventually feel comfortable sleeping without it but at present I find it reassuring even though, by the grace of God, I have not seen bugs crawling around or been bitten for some months.

I keep checking the double-sided carpet tape I have put in various places and see no bugs stuck to them. Initially, months ago, I caught a few on the tape. Mine seems to have been a mild infestation so I did not see a lot of bugs - just used to get those stinging bites during the night, in my bed, before I isolated it, and then found a bunch of bugs on my bedskirt between the matress and box spring one night around 3:00am, when I got bitten and checked for them. That brought the realization that I had bed bugs - before that I thought it was my psoriasis acting up. The next day, I started dealing with the problem. I thank all of you for your suggestions and support. This is such a great site.

13. wigginonbugs

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Nov 14 2008 2:55:03
    #

Login to Send PM

I never slept with the lights on, because for some reason, when I'm asleep, the thought of them don't bother me. Out of sight, out of mind, I guesse..I'm more paranoid of them during the day, as they bite me no matter what time it is..

14. Itchy-Scratchy

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Nov 14 2008 7:53:14
    #

Login to Send PM

sodepressed - 1 day ago  » 
    does it help to sleep with the lights on?
    the buggers aparently have eyes...will it prevent them from coming out if its too bright? i doubt so

The light doesn't scare them (otherwise we'd all be leaving our lights on).

The reason people sleep with the light on is that it allows you to quickly check the sheets in the middle of the night and catch the suckers! If the light is off, by the time you more around and turn the light on, they have a chance to run.

15. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Nov 14 2008 8:20:14
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Just wanted to post a bit of myth busting here. Bed Bugs are not nocternal to give them a more accurate classification they are commensural ectoparasites. They live along side mankind and feed when the opportunity presents itself. Although commensural by definition excludes parasites it is the closest way to accuratly describe them.

As a survival instinct they have realised that feeding when the host is asleep gives them the lowest risk of being detected. Most of us sleep at night so they will usually feed at night. In cases where the host sleeps duringt he day bed bugs will feed during the day.

They are not however phototaxic (stimulated to move due to the prescience of light). They simply don't care if the light is on or off.

Leave the light on if it comforts you but don't run up a huge light bill on the grounds that it will help because sadly it will not.

David

Happy to shed a little light on the subject

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bedbug infestations in domestic and commercial settings. The patent numbers are GB2463953 and GB2470307.

"Open minds find faster solutions"

"Astral Entomologist - because so many people say my ideas are out of this world"
  16. hkbugs

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Nov 14 2008 11:57:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Last night was my second night in my own bed after confirming the presence of BBs. I found out the night before a business trip, so I had a couple of nights to let the bites heal and escape any new ones. Came home last night and mummified myself before going to bed - skin-tight running tights and top, calf socks, gloves, hat, and a silk cover over my entire head and neck tucked into the running top. I didn't sleep well and woke up once more out of fear of suffocation than bites, but eventually was able to fall into a deep sleep without any nightmares. I won't know for a few more hours or longer if I was bitten last night, BUT I did find a full-grown bug hanging out on the side of my mattress this morning and he looked full and red, so I don't know if that means he/she got me.

My bed clothes are in the freezer waiting for tonight. Exterminator not coming until Monday. Hard labor begins tomorrow, and I'm working this weekend, too...

17. bugbattler

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Nov 14 2008 12:41:14
    #

Login to Send PM

I've seen them run from flashlight rays & I've seen them come out into the light, what gives? Do they know somehow, that the beam from a flashlight it is a precursor to smooshing?

18. Jeanette

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Nov 14 2008 15:51:50
    #

Login to Send PM

Is it true that the bed bugs usually come out to bite their prey pre-dawn around 4:00 or so? That is what I have read and wondered if it was true? If so, if they are not nocturnal creatures, why do they attack when it is still dark?

I ask for a reason. You see, thinking they are nocturnal creatures, I make sure to leave the lights on the other rooms in my appartment (night-light in my bedroom), at night, thinking that since I sprayed my carpets with a DE concoction I wrote about earler, that an entymologist suggested in an article I read, and applied the DE powder to all areas where the carpet met the walls, and this appears to have got rid of the bugs (no bug sightings or bites for the past 5 months) except for maybe a few stray bugs hiding in places the DE did not reach, like at the back of my walk-in closet or suitcases or boxes in this closet. I sprayed the carpet and put down a wide, thick barrier of DE powder to prevent them from walking out of the cupboard and double-sided carpet tape around the door-frame. I don't want any stray ones (in case they exist) to come out from anywhere and would rather they lie in a comatose state, unfed, till they die.

Now, I am wondering if it is necessary to leave the lights on at night to achieve my goal? I would appreciate your thoughts on the subject.

19. dottie

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Nov 14 2008 21:16:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Since September 25, 2008.

20. eatingmealive

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Nov 14 2008 21:44:01
    #

Login to Send PM

We sleep as usual. For the 1st two weeks of this nightmare. I didn't sleep at all. I saw someone about the mental impact this was taking on me and to be honest that helped immensely. We go on as normally as possible working our 9-5 jobs and trying just live.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

201,653 posts in 31,242 topics over 95 months by 13,515 of 17,226 members. Latest: xMakiMakix, sbm123, bedbugkiller999