Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Tales of Bed Bug Woe

How long does it take to see a new infestation?

(7 posts)
  1. Heather

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Oct 26 2007 11:07:57
    #

Login to Send PM

When I first started getting bitten, I didn't knwo what it was for two months and assumed it may be fleas (my roommate has two kittens). I went back and forth staying at my fiance's house not really worrying about it. When the biting didn't get better after flea bathing the cats and several flea bombs, and those annoying "basement" bugs I occasionally found on my bed kept popping up, I started looking online for answers and found out the problem was bed bugs. I'd never heard of them before. For the last month in a half I've been careful bouncing from friends house to friends house (since I was having bad allergic reactions and couldn't live at home), but I had to stop home nightly to treat. I always showered and put on a fresh pair of clothes out of the dryer and immediately left the house. So far my fiance or friends have not had any problems, but I'm wondering how long it would really take to notice? If god forbid I had to throw out every item I owned I could move on with time, but thinking that I could have caused someone else to go through this during the two months that I didn't know what the problem was would be unbearable. How long does it take before my friends can feel safe? So far they've checked their beds and have not had a problem, but I'm so so afraid, especially since most of them are in their mid-late 20s, first time home buyers, and are just making ends meet as it is.

Please advise.

Thanks,
    Heather

2. weitau

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Sat Oct 27 2007 21:08:14
    #

Login to Send PM

If your friends have not been bitten yet, that's great. BB can travel 20 feet, so if they are sleeping far away, they might still have BB but not get know. The other factor to consider is that the eggs will take about 2 weeks to hatch. I assume two weeks have passed already. The only way to know is to for them to sleep in an area where you have been. If they get bit, then you will know.

3. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Sat Oct 27 2007 23:59:19
    #

Login to Send PM

BUT people have had them for months without having an allergic reaction or seeing one. Many people react allergically but not right away. It may take time to build up in your system. Others may react right away. Your friends should continue to be vigilant. If you took shoes, a purse, your car, or anything else of yours that was not washed, dried, and bagged, then you have put them at risk. (I understand why, but those are the facts.)

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  4. Heather

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Oct 29 2007 11:24:59
    #

Login to Send PM

should they get their place treated just in case? Are their PCOs who offer preventative treatments? Most PCOs I've talked to said they will only treat if there is proff of a problem. I've learned the hard way that often by the time there is proof it is too late and too difficult. Yes, I have taken purses, shoes, etc with me. Those items were mostly stored in the upstairs of my old apartment (the basement/bedroom is where the problem was), and were only in the house for a few hours when I did my daily bedbug fightign treatments, but I still fear the risk. Other than bites and spots/bugs in the bed, where else can I look, what else can I do to detect this early? double sided sticky tape? are they attracted to anything I can set out? My fiance (whose house I was at the most) has a business out of his home and losing his house to this could cost his home and his job which terrifies me. This is supposed to be such a happy exciting time for us, yet we're living in so so much fear and anxiety. Any preventative ideas/steps would be greatly appreciated!

5. parakeets

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Oct 29 2007 12:45:54
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm not sure if you and your friends--or any of us--can ever feel totally safe because bedbugs are still "out there" and we could always get them again. And, sadly, if any of your friends get bedbugs someplace else down the road, months from now, they may think of that infestation as being "your" bedbugs. But...on the good side, the best proof of not having bedbugs if you have reacted to bites in the past is not getting any noticable bites in the present. So inspection is key--of your body and any place near where people sleep--even more important than anything else at this point.

When I went to the Boston bedbug conference, the panel of bedbug PCOs said they would not do preventative treatment (and that seems to be the style in Boston), but they do strongly believe in preventative inspections. At the NPMA bedbug convention in Hernodon VA in 2006 they also stressed inspections on the part of housekeeping staff as a way for hotels to best be pro-active about bedbugs. (and these are hotels that have PCO firms on retainer who make montly visits). So you're doing the right thing!

In a year or more, they will have aggregate pheromone traps which will help detect the presence of bedbugs. I pray for the day that they come out. They won't be fool proof, but will be far better than anything we have now.

The only hint I can think of is for you both to go away for a few days if you can, and when you come back put white or pastel sheets on the bed and wear white t-shirts to bed, and when you wake up inspect with an eagle eye for any blood specks. If you have bedbugs, I find they usually bite the night you come back after you've been away for a while.

6. BklynBedbugHater

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Oct 29 2007 15:44:32
    #

Login to Send PM

Parakeets, those pheromone traps are what I'm looking forward to. As part of a comprehensive bedbug control strategy, I know I'll rest easier if they work - because at least there will be some evidence as to whether there is a problem or not. Of course, we'll have to be wary because of the possibility of a false negative

7. parakeets

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Oct 30 2007 9:35:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Ah, but at least there will be no such thing as a false positive with the traps.

I think the pheromone traps will usher in a **huge** number of lawsuits, too. If you know any young lawyer trying to start up a private practice in liability law, encourage him or her to become a bedbug expert and to start taking on some pro bono work to establish themselves as a bedbug lawyer. They will be making $$$$ when the traps come out.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.