Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

How long does it take them to start biting and to spread to other mattresses?

(7 posts)
  1. CB2276

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Nov 10 2010 10:49:25
    #

Login to Send PM

We bought a new mattress and boxspring in July. About 6 weeks ago, I started getting bitten every night by what I thought was a mosquito. As I kept getting bitten, I realized we might have bed bugs. I called an exterminator - they inspected and confirmed that we do have bed bugs. They are in all of our mattresses. My question is twofold: 1) I suspect the bed bugs came with the new mattress. Would they easily transfer from our new bed to my son's crib and our other bed (in other rooms)? Can that happen right away or would it take a lot of time for them to spread? 2) How long can you have bed bugs before they actually start biting you? If the bed bugs came with our new mattress, they didn't start biting me right away. Is it possible they were in there, but they just didn't start biting me until a month or two after the mattress was delivered?

As I'm sure most people feel, once you get bed bugs you can drive yourself crazy trying to figure out HOW you got them. We are about to spend $700 for the exterminator to come and get rid of them. My biggest fear is that we will spend this money and they end up coming back. What if we got them from a place we frequent and it wasn't the new mattress? This is enough to drive a person crazy!

2. CB2276

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Nov 10 2010 20:12:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello? Anyone out there???

3. SearchandDestroy

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Nov 10 2010 21:02:37
    #

Login to Send PM

Bump

Well..I'm not sure, seems like they would bite you sooner since you were sleeping on it (or I'm assuming someone was). Maybe a pro will chime in here.

Do you live in a house, condo, apt?

It is always hard to say where these things come from..we make our best guesses and then go about treating. Fortunately with mattresses, stream and covers and spray on the bedframe do wonders. Good luck

4. toledo

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Nov 10 2010 21:05:36
    #

Login to Send PM

I literally saw bugs inside the plastic when our new mattress was delivered. The plastic had airholes punched in it, so it was easy for bugs to gain access. Our timeline began in early April, with a trip to Mexico. Daughter began getting bites in mid to late June. We had her room treated with heat in August, when we finally figured out what was happening. D left for college. In early October, we found traces of them in our room and our son's room.

5. fostermom

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Nov 10 2010 21:56:12
    #

Login to Send PM

when did you get the new mattress?

6. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Nov 10 2010 22:14:14
    #

Login to Send PM

Welcome, CB. I'll share my non-expert opinion. It's possible to get BB from new mattresses, as:
    - They are made by people, who could shed bugs.
    - They could be stored in plces that have bugs.
    - They can be transported in trucks that could have bugs (for any reason, including that they're often used to carry away old mattresses).
    - Some locales allow "slightly used and returned" mattresses to be resold as "new".
    - Some mattresses are "recycled" and covered with fresh fabric (This is the reason for the infamous "under penalty of law" tags. They indicate new or recycled).

That does not mean it was the mattresses. It might have been a co-incidence. Or, you had BB before, but just started reacting. Or BB just migrated from some other source. Or, you have recycled mattresses, which might be built with a platic liner, but the bugs got through.

In any case. If it's truly BB, positively IDed by bugs, eggs, shells or fecal marks, not just a PCO "say-so", as lots are incompetent, you'll need to treat. And if you're exposed to a source outside (like an infested workplace), then you'll need to strategize how to protect your home from the bugs there.

A BB feeds every 1-2 weeks. When it'd hungry and s/he can sniff you out (I've heard anywhere from 3 to 20 feet), they're gonna follow the trail of exhaled CO2 and try to feed. They prefer to stay close to the host, but will scatter if disturbed. Scientists have found that females sometimes run off after being inseminated by a male. Also, if you have a neighbor with BB, they could come singly or en-masse (like if he set off a fogger or used some repellent chemical).

Best bet, please read the FAQ on this site, then a comprehensive guide from the Resources page (like the State of Michigan). These will empower you to be a better bedbug fighter and consumer. And keep hitting us with your questions.

Finally, make sure to treat yourself and your family nicely.

Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night...
    - Psalms 91:5-7

(Not an pro)
  7. toledo

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Nov 11 2010 9:03:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Oh, sorry I wasn't clear on my "new" mattress. I ordered mine in the middle of all this, to replace the old, infested mattress and boxspring. When it arrived, I knew enough to examine it. I also knew that I didn't want one that wasn't fully encased in plastic. I refused shipment on it at my doorstep and even pointed out the bugs inside.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

201,723 posts in 31,256 topics over 95 months by 13,522 of 17,234 members. Latest: NotInfested, slee, Zenchess