Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed Bug Treatment

How long can you go without seeing them?

(26 posts)
  1. HecatesMisery

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Mon Jan 9 2017 3:21:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Starting a little before thanksgiving, I noticed I had two bug bites on my hand. A week or so later, they were gone, and one more appeared on my back. My very first thought was bedbugs, so I spread DE and vacuumed, changed all my sheets, vacuumed the mattresses, etc. I saw nothing when I looked in the crevices on the mattress.

After that, I had no further problems until last Thursday afternoon, wherein I discovered I had SIX bites in the same inch-long diameter on my left arm. I hadn't even been outside that day, and it's the dead of winter. So whatever got me had to be inside the house. I removed the bedding and pillows from my bed, from the futon in the living room, and from the couch. I again looked in the crevices under the couch cushions and under the mattresses. I removed the mattress and tried to peer into the underside of the box spring on the bed. I saw nothing moving. It's a one-bedroom apartment and that, aside from the kitchen chairs, is all the "plush" furniture we have. I DID see one single tiny black spot which smudged reddish when wet with a cotton bug. Only one. Don't bedbugs poop more than once?

I showed my parents (who don't live with me and know a whole lot more about insects than I do) the bites, and they said it looked like poison ivy. It can't be that because I'm sure I would have recalled brushing up against a plant. So we're still going with bed bugs, unless I see a flea. I have no idea where I would have gotten bed bugs, because I haven't slept in a hotel room, stayed the night anywhere, or bought used clothing or furniture since September.

Last night I did not get any new bites. Tonight I can't sleep anyway.

So here's my game plan. Tomorrow my mother is coming over to more closely inspect the mattresses etc. I'll be here on the living room floor doing her taxes, and in return she's going to clean out all but the bare essentials from the closets, declutter the house and throw away whatever I don't constantly use, vacuum the floors and the beds and the couch, get as much as possible out from under the beds, and move all the furniture at least 4 inches away from the walls. That afternoon, I will inform the apartment management that I suspect bed bugs. I have no idea what they'll do about it. If it's anything like the flea infestation I had when I moved in 4 years ago, they'll send a janitor to haphazardly cover the floor with raid. Alternatively, they could charge me a thousand dollars to send in a REAL exterminator, or they could even kick me out. No idea. I cannot really afford to hire anyone for treatment, and I REALLY can't afford one of those bug-sniffing dogs to confirm that's it's BBs.

My mother tells me I shouldn't worry about the bites or about bed bugs until i actually SEE an insect. Fine, whatever, I guess. If I do, I have a game plan. I'll need to save up around $500 for supplies, but once I have that, I'll buy $200 worth of expensive bedbug-proof mattress encasement for the futon, queen mattress, and box spring. I'll spring another $200 for a portable heat-treatment machine and spend the rest on DE, an inexpensive carpet steamer, bed-post interceptors, and sprays.

My game plan, if you are interested, is as follows.

Strip both beds.

Put the sheets and pillowcases in a plastic garbage bag to carry them to the washing machine.

Dump them in using the bag, tie the bag off, and throw it away.

Wash the sheets on the highest heat setting.

Dry the sheets on the highest heat setting.

Put the cleaned sheets in clean garbage bags

Follow the same steps with the duvets and comforters, but go to the laundromat. Or, skip washing and dry them on high heat for an hour

Remove mattresses and box spring from beds. Lean them up against the walls.

Thoroughly inspect the undersides and crevices of the mattresses. Tear off that thin little cotton cover thing and inspect the bed frame as well.

Using the tube part of the vacuum, vacuum up all the crevices of the mattresses and bed frame.
    Vacuum couch and couch cushions

Take the vacuum outside IMMEDIATELY after use and dump the canister into a garbage bag. Throw away the garbage bag, and bring the vacuum back inside.

Using the steamer, at a speed of apps 1 inch/sec, steam the couch, couch cushions, mattresses, box springs, and bed frames

Spray bed frame with bed bug spray. Get all the crevices.

Seal mattresses, box springs, and mattress toppers inside protective bed bug proof casing.

Move bed frames a few inches away from walls

Lift up all four corners of the bed and place bed bug traps underneath each leg of the bed.

Put the mattresses back on the beds

Make the beds.

Tuck in the sheets. Make sure nothing touches the floor.

Remove extra pillows and eliminate as much under the bed storage as possible.

Remove all clutter from floors (Again)

Put items like books and shoes into portable bedbug heater.

Vacuum along the baseboards in the house, as well as in the crevices of furniture.

Steam clean everywhere in the house that you just vacuumed

Steam clean along baseboards of every room in the house.

Check power strips and outlets for bedbugs

Spray bug spray on baseboards, along the inside and outside of drawers, behind night stands, and on the cushions of chairs and couches

Wait 1 hour before applying diatomaceous earth to baseboards

Pray really hard.

"With courage, cunning, and superior tactics, we'll be home by teatime."
  2. HecatesMisery

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Mon Jan 9 2017 3:31:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Oh, also there'll be interceptors on the futon legs too. I'd do the couch as well but the couch doesn't have legs.

3. mp7ski

Posted 2 months ago
    Mon Jan 9 2017 4:28:25
    #

Login to Send PM

Isolating your bed will only help with bites, it won't eliminate the problem (if you do in fact have bed bugs). Putting encasements on before you are sure the potential bed bugs are gone is risky. You could be trapping live ones in the encasements which, will help with the bites, but can cause a reinfestation if they rip from wear later on down the road. Also, id strobgly advise you to use cimexa and not DE, it is considered to be a mich better dessicant and is a little safer. Your plan looks solid though. Just a few things to think about.

I am not an expert, any advice I give should be considered as amateur advice and not taken as fact. I mean well with all my posts and try to give back. If you plan on using any of my advice, I suggest doing research into said advice to make sure it is in your best interest.
    Study on Thermal Death Points(pages 18-29 of pdf) : http://www.propanecouncil.org/uploadedFiles/Council/Research_and_Development/REP_12221%20Efficacy%20of%20Heat%20on%20Bed%20Bugs.pdf
    Study on Cimexa: http://www.pctonline.com/article/pct0814-silica-gel-research-bed-bugs/
  4. CleaningToDeath

Posted 2 months ago
    Mon Jan 9 2017 9:57:54
    #

Login to Send PM

You will get varying responses, and ultimately it is up to you and what makes you feel comfortable.

My thoughts, Thanksgiving Nov. 24th to January 5th is an extremely long time for bed bugs to feed off a host. If there was an active infestation, you would see evidence in that time period. You are going off one smudge that could be anything. I do see your point on your bites 1 day, but we must remember it is a reaction on our bodies, and can be delayed. So even if you didn't leave your home that particular day, you may have been bitten or exposed to fleas, spider, etc in prior days.

A thorough good house cleaning and decluttering may just be your answer.

However, if you do find evidence of bedbugs, do not let your LL spray Raid or foggers! Also I do not know what type of spray you plan on purchasing if you do find evidence of bbs, but all I've seen and have currently used myself, can not have skin contact. So while I can get seams, crevices on fabric furniture, zippers, etc. I could not spray the top areas, or top of cushions where it would come into contact with skin while sitting.

Also DE or Cimexa (preferred) should be apply sparsely and with a respirator mask. Little puffs, nothing heavy in application.

Hope you and your Mom find or rid whatever it could possibly be, hopefully no bedbugs!

5. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 2 months ago
    Mon Jan 9 2017 12:28:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Listen to your mother.
    Have a proper inspection performed if you doubt your skills, but at six weeks there should be clear signs that a PCO would find.
    Do not treat without clear evidence, it could be something as simple as carpet beetles or an allergic reaction to something non-insect related.

Bird dreams are not admissible in court.
  6. cantcallit2016

Posted 2 months ago
    Mon Jan 9 2017 22:21:08
    #

Login to Send PM

Sort of curious on this one myself been receiving what looks as if too be bites found couple spots of blood on my sheets pillow cases no sign of a bed bug or feces since may 2016 pco checked and sprayed back in October found nothing as well tore looked all new furniture over tore my poor one bedroom apart lol not bed bug not even a dead one from his spray or de just know something is eating my shoulders upper back and face bought a new encasement for my bed within a week found what look too be blood on the bottom side of it but not a bed bug or fecal stain too be found in my new box spring's or mattress beds away from wall have de and climb ups for it idk what else too do had them last year and I know what them and fees look like !!

7. HecatesMisery

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Mon Jan 9 2017 22:40:52
    #

Login to Send PM

So my mother and I turned the apartment upside down. We vacuumed the futon, the floors, and the couch. Since I'd already inspected the mattress in the bedroom a few days prior, and we were short on time, I didn't re-check the bed. We washed all the sheets and removed most of the clutter from the house. 12 huge garbage bags full of random stuff I didn't need anymore. We moved all the furniture a couple inches away from the walls. It took us 7 hours. We didn't see any bugs at all. In light of this, I have decided to postpone the exterminator. My mother's coming back next week and we'll finish the job, and clean out what remains in the closets. I haven't discovered any new bites since Thursday.

8. HecatesMisery

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Tue Jan 10 2017 3:11:23
    #

Login to Send PM

Update: Found one on my sheets on the futon. Fuck my life. I'm gonna tell management first thing, and buy all that stuff I mentioned. My husband's not going to be happy about the expense but we don't have a choice.

9. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 2 months ago
    Tue Jan 10 2017 9:59:19
    #

Login to Send PM

Post an image for ID.

10. HecatesMisery

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Tue Jan 10 2017 23:15:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Well, here we go. My apartment's management confirmed it was in fact a bed bug. Tuesdays are when the exterminators come anyway, so someone was down here within the hour. He did a rather hasty inspection and didn't find any glaring signs, but he took a look at my sample and confirmed that it was a bed bug. He will be back Thursday to spray.

I don't trust the fact that his extermination consists of me removing all cardboard and fabric from the house, the "PCO" spraying with chemicals and leaving, and me returning after two hours to wash the previously bagged clothes and put encasements on the bed. I asked him if he was sure that would work, seeing as BBs are resistant to pesticides. He said he's been killing BBs with these chemicals, successfully, for 8 years. He said not to use any of my own chemicals in the interim between now and his extermination.

I've just sunk $400 on a portable BB-killing heater for items like books and pillows, three sets of bedpost interceptors, encasements for the mattresses and box springs, a portable steam cleaner, and cimexa dust. They arrive Thursday evening, after the spraying. I'm going to contact the apartment office tomorrow to see which, if any, of these items I can use post-treatment without disturbing the chemical sprays. If at all possible, I will steam, heat-treat, intercept and cimexa everything post-treatment.

Until then, I'm going to completely remove the bedding on the spare futon. It will be a couch until this nightmare is over. That's going to take a bit of a psychological toll because the futon was my private sanctuary and I was very proud of it. Oh well.

All the clothes, towels, and bedding are going to be washed and put in black garbage bags in the middle of the room. My mother's coming over tomorrow to help me declutter the remainder of the house and clean the kitchen. Post-treatment, the bagged bedding will be heat-treated. I'll put interceptors on the beds, encase the treated mattresses, and if the PCO says it's alright, I'll steam and cimexa the baseboards, windows, bedframes, and around the perimeters of any furniture.

When I told my mom about everything I (okay, we) were going to have to do, she told me I should just move. I told her no. If I didn't treat anything, I'd have to dump every stitch of clothing and bedding and every scrap of furniture I own. I'd have to start over with nothing, not even the clothes on my back. It's less expensive to stay here and fight, so fine. That's what I'm doing.

God help me. I am going to need serious psychological fortitude for this. I loathe crawling insects and spiders more than anything. When I found that bedbug I literally ran to the toilet and puked. I hate this. I'm going to need Xanax before this is over.

11. Poiqm

Account Closed

Posted 2 months ago
    Tue Jan 10 2017 23:30:02
    #

Login to Send PM

You bought all the right things and working with the PCO, it seems like you are on the right path. Hang in there. You can do this.

Account closed
  12. Poiqm

Account Closed

Posted 2 months ago
    Tue Jan 10 2017 23:35:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Another thing to consider... is buying shelving that you can isolate from the bugs with interceptor traps, so you have a place to put all the things that you heat treat and steam. I also have started using a portable garment rack that I isolated from the floor/walls. (I'm in the middle of bug battle, so I'm being a bit extreme!)

13. HecatesMisery

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Wed Jan 11 2017 0:01:46
    #

Login to Send PM

I was going to store everything in either garbage bags or plastic tubs.

14. HecatesMisery

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Wed Jan 11 2017 4:49:31
    #

Login to Send PM

It would be really nice to be able to get some SLEEP!! My husband is sleeping like a rock. Hasn't lost a wink. He doesn't seem to react to BB bites at all. Must be nice. I, however, have gotten about 3 hours of sleep in the last 48. And that's being generous. Not even benadryl helps, and usually that works on me with the efficiency of horse tranquilizer.

Maybe once the PCO comes and I've checked off all my personal pre-and-post-treatment checklists, asked all the questions I need to ask the PCO, and taken every possible step to isolate and exterminate, I can finally have some freaking peace. Or maybe not. I have heard stories about this awful crap going on for four years. I'd rather be attacked by a school of sharks than deal with bedbugs for four years. I have done nothing to deserve this and wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. Argh.

15. bugged-cdn

Posted 2 months ago
    Wed Jan 11 2017 13:46:31
    #

Login to Send PM

If I didn't treat anything, I'd have to dump every stitch of clothing and bedding and every scrap of furniture I own.

Clothes and linens are the easiest: hot dryer and done!

16. HecatesMisery

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Thu Jan 12 2017 11:03:22
    #

Login to Send PM

We've put interceptors on our master bed. More are on order from Amazon for the futon and the couch in the living room. We've bagged all the bedding and dirty clothes. The PCO didn't mention bagging up clean clothing so the dresser drawers and closets are still full of clothes. Every single scrap of cardboard is out of the house, replaced with space bags, Ziploc bags, and plastic storage boxes. Bills and important notes and papers are now sealed in plastic bags. The floors have been vacuumed. The kitchen counters have been cleaned and the food on them was stored in the fridge. Now I wait for the PCO to arrive. I'm probably going to annoy him when he gets here; I'll have so many questions. Most of them are, "Can I use (insert DIY treatment here) after you're gone?"

I'm making use of dozens of checklists on Google Keep to keep on top of what I have done and what I haven't. My mother, God save her, has offered to take me to the laundromat to wash my 27 enormous garbage bags full of clothing and bedding. I'm going to end up spending $50 in quarters, I'm sure of it.

The only good news is that our apartment is really clean now and that I haven't gotten bitten since last Thursday, which tells me the master bed probably isn't infested.

Depending on whether the PCO says it's okay, I'll vacuum and steam the couch and both bedframes after I put the mattress encasements on. Then I'll heat treat our shoes, then our luggage, then our books, then most of the things on our shelves. Then I'll vacuum and steam the baseboards and apply cimexa to them and to the bedframes, with the PCO's approval. Then over the weekend I'll see if I can't get my father, who manages an electric motor plant and who is really good with electricity, to safely dismantle and cimexa the electrical outlets and light switches. I'm really glad we don't have any wall art; that would be yet another thing to do.

17. Poiqm

Account Closed

Posted 2 months ago
    Thu Jan 12 2017 12:24:53
    #

Login to Send PM

The PCO didn't mention bagging up clean clothing so the dresser drawers and closets are still full of clothes. .

There are no clean clothes. Everything in the house is a potential bed bug hideout, so bag everything.

The steaming will likely not be an option after the PCO sprays because it will disrupt the spray. So be sure to talk with him/her about it. Maybe steam first then have the PCO do treatment.

Be sure to ask about applying Cimexa after PCO treatment.

18. HecatesMisery

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Fri Jan 13 2017 1:10:50
    #

Login to Send PM

I had to cry today. One of my three mattress encasement failed on me. The zipper broke. I could still fully encase the master bed, but the futon will just have to wait I guess. I'm returning it to Amazon tomorrow and I bought a new one. I hope this one works. And I left one of my comforters at the laundromat after spending three hours there washing all the sheets. In my panic to find the missing comforter I dumped all the other blankets on the floor, re-contaminating them. I'll have to wait until my heat treatment pod arrives and re-heat them. Fantastic.
    The good news is that the PCO came this morning and sprayed with Temprid. I've heard good things about Temprid so it set my mind at ease. I really grilled him, and he was pretty good about answering all my questions:
    How long after treatment do you expect that all the bugs will be dead?
    -After a couple days you should notice a difference.
    What should we do if we see any more bedbugs after treatment?
    - Let management know. We'll come back and spray next week and the week after to make sure they're all dead.
    Can we use our carpet steamer after the treatment? Can we or should we steam the mattresses, baseboards, windows, and couch cushions as well?
    -Yes, it should be safe if you wait until after the spray has dried
    Can we spread diatomaceous earth or cimexa after treatment?
    -Yes
    Should we vacuum after treatment? How often?
    -You can vacuum after treatment, once it dries
    I have a portable heat treatment machine to use with pillows, books, shoes, and bedding. Can we use that in conjunction with your sprays?
    -Yes
    When, if ever, can I put up the tent over the futon again?
    -After you don't see any bugs or bites for a couple months, you should be safe.
    My apartment, for now, literally looks like a garbage dump. Even though technically it's as clean as it's been since I moved in four years ago, the black trash bags EVERYWHERE feel really cluttered and messy and it's damaging my psyche a bit I think. My husband too. He's absolutely exhausted from it all. I think all the money spent and the inconvenience is depressing him. It's certainly depressing me, although I've made a pointed effort not to cry or complain in front of him.

I've kept a written log of all the bug bites or potential bites I've gotten. I think I might be getting bitten still. My first bites were in clusters and lasted a week and were VERY itchy. I haven't been bitten like that in a week. Since then however I've had three bumps that were singular, not nearly as itchy, and only stayed raised and red for a couple hours. Or, maybe it's hives as a secondary reaction to the BBs. I dunno.

I hate this. Why did this have to happen to me? I just want it to be over, please. No more hassle. No more problems. Please.

19. HecatesMisery

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Fri Jan 13 2017 1:14:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Double post, sorry

20. somanybugs

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Fri Jan 13 2017 1:54:32
    #

Login to Send PM

HecatesMisery,
    I am so sorry to hear your story. you are so determined to win this battle. I think it is okay to cry. dealing with bed bugs is so overwhelming. It really is war except for that the stress and fear inside are so much greater than what you can express.
    I can't wait to read the posts where you don't find any bugs or bites. Please don't forget to take care of yourself, remember you need the energy for this battle =)
    Best of luck!

21. mp7ski

Posted 2 months ago
    Fri Jan 13 2017 1:55:10
    #

Login to Send PM

I'd be concerned about a few things your pco said it's okay to do. First thing is steaming after he treated with a chemical even if it's dry. Temprid leaves a residue and if you were to steam where that residue is, it'd make sense to me that you'd be causing the chemical to be released into the air with the steam, maybe a expert on here can address this.

Another would be applying cimexa if he intends on coming back to spray again, he'd just be spraying over the cimexa, which to me would render it useless and could compromise the chemicals effectiveness. Again, not sure, maybe an expert can way in on that as well.

Another thing, were your mattresses treated before being encased? Hopefully you steamed the crap out of them and applied some cimexa to the edges and throughout the box spring before encasing, otherwise you'd be trapping live bugs/eggs inside and another encasement failure would just reinfest your apt.

I'm no expert and it's wise to follow your pcos advice, but only if he is knowledgeable and knows what he's doing. I've already had an experience with a pco that only made my situation worse and had me make mistakes that made it much harder to fix my problem.

22. HecatesMisery

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Fri Jan 13 2017 2:47:38
    #

Login to Send PM

mp7ski - 48 minutes ago  » 
    I'd be concerned about a few things your pco said it's okay to do. First thing is steaming after he treated with a chemical even if it's dry. Temprid leaves a residue and if you were to steam where that residue is, it'd make sense to me that you'd be causing the chemical to be released into the air with the steam, maybe a expert on here can address this.
    Another would be applying cimexa if he intends on coming back to spray again, he'd just be spraying over the cimexa, which to me would render it useless and could compromise the chemicals effectiveness. Again, not sure, maybe an expert can way in on that as well.
    Another thing, were your mattresses treated before being encased? Hopefully you steamed the crap out of them and applied some cimexa to the edges and throughout the box spring before encasing, otherwise you'd be trapping live bugs/eggs inside and another encasement failure would just reinfest your apt.
    I'm no expert and it's wise to follow your pcos advice, but only if he is knowledgeable and knows what he's doing. I've already had an experience with a pco that only made my situation worse and had me make mistakes that made it much harder to fix my problem.

He did spray my mattresses before they were encased. I didn't steam them, or cimexa them. My cimexa hasn't arrived from Amazon yet. I wasn't sure about the steaming, but I absolutely will cimexa things.

23. Poiqm

Account Closed

Posted 2 months ago
    Fri Jan 13 2017 2:55:04
    #

Login to Send PM

I agree, the steaming after treatment worries me but I'll wait to hear from the pros, too. And if I were you, I would "find" a bug next week to get those two extra treatments.

The sea of garbage bags is just debris on the battle field. You'll get back to normal.

(I need to say this to get it off my mind but I know you are careful and don't need to hear it but I need to say it... please make sure the item sent back to Amazon is sanitized and bug free. There I said it now I can sweep it out of my mind.)

24. FayeState

Posted 2 months ago
    Fri Jan 13 2017 3:01:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Sorry for all you're going through. I would call Amazon first to see if they even want you to sent back the encasement. They might just send you a new one since it is bed bugs involved.

25. bugged-cdn

Posted 2 months ago
    Fri Jan 13 2017 7:05:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Re: buying from Amazon, I would suggest buying from a site that doesn't accept returns of bed bug related items.

26. HecatesMisery

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Sun Jan 15 2017 23:45:21
    #

Login to Send PM

It's been two days. No new bites No sightings.. All the mattresses are encased. My packtite, my cimexa, my steam cleaner, and the remainder of my interceptors have been lost in the mail. I'm going to go to Amazon. I'm going to go to the apartment office tomorrow to look for my stuff, and if it isn't there I'm going to see if Amazon can get me a discount or something. I'm also going to put pressure on management to inspect the other units.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

251,998 posts in 40,263 topics over 123 months by 17,630 of 17,970 members. Latest: scarred4lyfe, ssieberfl, sierram1291