(6 posts)
  1. CourtsMagorts14

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Mon Dec 4 2017 0:10:55
    #

Login to Send PM

bear with me, please.

Recently (I'm guessing 3-4 weeks ago?) my downstairs neighbors moved out. I went away for 10 days for Thanksgiving and came back. Approx 24 hours later guess what shows up on my face? A big old itchy painful welt. I've never gotten them before. The whole week goes by with no new welts. I leave for the weekend and come back tonight, and as I'm just sitting here chilling I get a similarly sized itchy welt on my arm. I know what signs to be looking for thanks to this awesome website, and I also have the climbup interceptors on my bed. And I have found absolutely nothing so far. No fecal stains, no bugs, no nothing. I know they're not invisible ninjas so wtf? If I'm right and they're migrating up here from the empty apartment downstairs about how long would it take for something to show up in the interceptors, or for me to find any kind of evidence?

2. thirdusername

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Mon Dec 4 2017 18:57:25
    #

Login to Send PM

Do you clean the interceptors every day?
    I bought talcless ones and I read after that bed bugs can climb up dusty things.
    They could also feed while you sit on other furniture, not just your bed.

Did you go the same place for the weekend as you did for thanksgiving?
    Any chance you got the bites there?

You could be bitten somewhere else than home so you may never find evidence in your apartment.

I am NOT an expert.
    My opinions are just opinions, they may NOT apply to yours or any situation.
    My advice is to always do a LOT of research.
    A lot of what I read contradicts other stuff on the Interweb.
  3. CourtsMagorts14

newbite

Posted 6 days ago
    Sat Dec 9 2017 10:38:49
    #

Login to Send PM

I bought the ClimbUp brand so it's my understanding that you don't have to do anything to them once they're installed.

Two days after I started this topic I got bitten AGAIN, so I called a PCO. He came out and inspected the mattress and living room furniture thoroughly and said he was about 80% sure I didn't have them. He found some spots on my sheets and couch but told me he couldn't be sure if they were fecal or just regular old stains, and that if I did have BBs the infestation was too light for him to detect. He was unable to find any bugs or skins or anything like that. He told me instead I might be dealing with mites (forgot which kind he specified) and advised me to steam clean the carpets. He also told me that I would know if it was BBs for sure in about two or three weeks. This was two days ago. So I thought "Okay awesome, I don't have to worry" and drove up to my parents' place last night. But then this morning I woke up with a new bite and now I'm worried that I do indeed have a light infestation and I've brought a hitchhiker to my parents' home.

I know I sound incredibly paranoid but I would feel just terrible if I do have them and have now spread them around. What to do?

4. bugged-cdn

Posted 5 days ago
    Sat Dec 9 2017 19:37:07
    #

Login to Send PM

You have to make sure the climbups are free of dust, pet/human hair, etc., on a regular basis. You don't want to give a bed bug a way to get out of the climbup. Once a week should do it.

5. thirdusername

newbite

Posted 5 days ago
    Sat Dec 9 2017 20:17:56
    #

Login to Send PM

>I'm worried that I do indeed have a light infestation and I've brought a hitchhiker to my parents' home.
    I worry that I will "give" them to someone over the holidays.
    I am staying almost a week at my parents.
    All you can do is be careful and hope for the best.
    Best of luck.
    It's a bad time of year.

I'm hoping because I live in a coldish climate that they will be less active until it gets warmer.

6. rowhomehorror

newbite

Posted 15 hours ago
    Thu Dec 14 2017 23:54:56
    #

Login to Send PM

I suppose it can vary depending on how difficult it is for bed bugs to get through, to answer your question about how long before they migrate after their former hosts vacate. My infested row home neighbors moved out and we found the first bed bug in a climb up ~3 weeks later. 4 months later, I still am finding them, although the finds have absolutely spaced out dramatically. Thankfully, we had cimexa'd the house before they moved out which meant that we get to find them dead, or dying.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

267,806 posts in 43,548 topics over 131 months by 19,076 of 19,668 members. Latest: tireddddddd, bedbugcrazed, HOWDY1