How long before I see clear signs?

(8 posts)
  1. lgvk

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Jun 2 2010 23:21:38
    #

Login to Send PM

I have some reason to think there are bedbugs in my bedroom - occasional blood spots; 1 or 2 bites every other day plus my parents had a moderate infestation recently. I have interceptors and both mattress & box spring encased - but they could be somewhere else and getting to the bed from clothes.

I had a PCO come over last week to inspect but they could not find anything conclusive - they didn't see signs of an infestation.

What I want to know is - if I do happen to have a few of them - how long before I see more apparent signs like fecal stains and live bugs? Like how many weeks?

Thanks!

2. kniteli

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Jun 2 2010 23:45:35
    #

Login to Send PM

Those blood stains + bite marks are a pretty clear sign imo. For fecal marks, if theyre not apparent on your sheets (are your sheets white?), maybe check the seams on the mattress or around the staples on the bottom of your box spring. Fecal stains will be obvious little black streaks/spots

3. Jenn28

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Jun 3 2010 16:24:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Sometimes when the clear signs are right under your nose, the problem is not small anymore. If you think you've got them, do something now, don't wait.

4. lgvk

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Jun 3 2010 22:59:43
    #

Login to Send PM

Actually I've encased both the mattress & boxspring securely. Where should I look for fecal spots? (my sheets are white and cream - easy to see everything on them)

I don't want to do any treatment until I see conclusive evidence like: cast skins, dead/alive bugs or fecal spots.

From what I've read, the experts say a low level infestation is very hard to detect even by PCO's.

Any suggestions on what I can do now?

5. OCDthx2BBs

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Jun 4 2010 4:08:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Just want to add...

I found out we had a "low level infestation" (3 live bugs) 9 days ago. Had it treated 7 days ago. My bed is brand new and all white, our sheets and pillows are all white, our bed encasements are all white and our living room furniture (green) had no evidence at all. The PCO couldn't find a thing and actually said we didn't have to do a treatment and could just monitor it. Well I had him treat anyways and I found a few pooh spots on the top of my living room curtain on one panel the next day- and now, I'm seeing nymphs everywhere after one treatment.... in my bathroom and kitchen and on window sills. I've never seen eggs/egg shells or dead bugs. I think I'm one of the few that actually sees them alive and during the day.

I vote you do something NOW, whether it's self or professional. Don't wait. Just because they aren't in an obvious spot doesn't mean they're not there. Hope this helps.

6. lgvk

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Jun 4 2010 9:34:19
    #

Login to Send PM

But what I've read over and over in this website on posts by various PCO's is: don't treat until you are really sure. Even my PCO wants to see sure signs before treating. Plus, I'm worried about the chemicals as well and don't want to risk unnecessary exposure.

Is there anything I can do that will not interfere with PCO's later if I need to do a full treatment?

I was thinking of laying out DE in some places. But I'm concerned that if I get a big outbreak later PCO's will refuse to treat. I know already I asked for a dog detection and they said no because I had roach traps in the kitchen & bathroom. I had to settle for the manual inspection which didn't find anything.

What other defensive measure can I take? I've already: encased mattress/boxspring; put interceptors; inspect thoroughly around the bed twice a week.

7. bugnut

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Jun 4 2010 10:34:58
    #

Login to Send PM

lgvk - not sure why roach traps would interfere with K9 inspection, but why don't you remove them and get an independent k9 company? If they find any bbs they can pinpoint where they are worse and you can treat accordingly. I had the dog in even tho I had only small bites (had horrible welts the first time) no fecal stains no blood stains. Hit 3 places in my BR and I found one nymph casing. One treatment later and I have not found ANY evidence and no bites but I am not out of the woods yet. Will have k9 re-inspect after 28 days (the PCO used Phantom - 28 days is the time span between treatment for that) and treat again if necessary. BTW I live in a single family home so no issues with neighbors spreading them

Good Luck!

P.S. How did your folks treat them?

8. lgvk

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Jun 4 2010 11:12:59
    #

Login to Send PM

bugnut, You're right I should probably try to get a k9 inspection. Thanks; sometimes it's hard to think clearly under stress. My parents are having a PCO do it. Luckily my mother has a clear reaction to bites and they've stopped since the first treatment; the second treatment is coming up as well.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

191,070 posts in 29,393 topics over 90 months by 12,675 of 19,934 members. Latest: Scott, bb225nyc, crazyoncape