Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » General Topics

How Long?

(26 posts)
  1. BBsBlow

Posted 10 years ago
    Sun Nov 11 2007 19:00:25
    #

Login to Send PM

Looking for an average here from everyone. How long after you were bitten did you see an actual bug?

Thanks!
    Blow

2. itchyincharmcity

Posted 10 years ago
    Mon Nov 12 2007 18:16:31
    #

Login to Send PM

For me I would say about 4 weeks. But I think it really varies.

3. pleasehelp

Posted 10 years ago
    Mon Nov 12 2007 18:25:32
    #

Login to Send PM

I haven't seen one yet & it's been 2 months.

4. stamps

Posted 10 years ago
    Mon Nov 12 2007 18:29:11
    #

Login to Send PM

After I did some research and knew to look for bedbugs, I found them less than a week later, BUT that was with pulling my box spring apart and finding the nasties lurking under the plastic corner covers.

5. kraystone

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Mon Nov 12 2007 19:26:16
    #

Login to Send PM

I thought they were on my mattress and around my table. But it turned out to be under the corner of the box spring where there is a plastic protection. Apparently they like cramp tiny spaces where they could fit perfectly.

That was like 1 month later when my landlord called a PCO to inspect.

6. currentinsomniac

Posted 10 years ago
    Tue Nov 13 2007 17:49:11
    #

Login to Send PM

My husband first got bit while sleeping on our couch around Oct 26th. The bite got really big and we just thought maybe a spider got him. He kept sleeping on the couch (cause he didn't want my cold) and started to get more bites around his torso about a week and a half later. We did research and concluded we had bedbugs. I've never seen a live or dead one in our home, but after my son got bit in his car seat last week we started cleaning out the cars too. Everything came out onto the driveway. And sure enough, under the protector pad that is between his seat and the car's seat were two small (probably 2nd or 3rd instar) reddish bugs hiding in the seam. They were a surprise to us and got away into the grass before we could capture or kill both. That was this last Friday, Nov 9th. We have since found some eggs on the mattress pad edge in the upstairs master bedroom (guess they have spread) but still have not seen any other bugs than the two I mentioned.

7. Kit

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Tue Nov 13 2007 21:19:23
    #

Login to Send PM

It took a painfully long five and a half months to find a bug. This was after ripping apart our house for 5 of those months. We vacuumed and inspected and used white sheets and white bed clothes and did it all again and again and again. We never found any blood spots or fecal matter or cast skins. Nothing but the bites. However, Christmas came early this year and I am actually happy to report that I found a dead bbug (thank you DE) just this a.m. I say "happy" because with this much needed evidence we are finally being treated on Friday. Wish us luck, and thank you bedbugger.com for your support. I have been reading this site since I first was bitten in June and though I have not contributed until now, I am extremely grateful to the people who have shared their experiences: "there but for the grace of you go I..." or something like that. (Sorry if this is way more info than you needed, BBsBlow.)

8. pleasehelp

Posted 10 years ago
    Wed Nov 14 2007 0:00:37
    #

Login to Send PM

Kit, I'm interested to know, where did you find the bb and what is the treatment plan (which areas to be treated, etc.)?

9. Lelaine

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Wed Nov 14 2007 0:26:32
    #

Login to Send PM

See, it's cases like Kit's that make me think PCOs who won't treat without evidence are part of the problem. Bed bugs had five months to breed while it got bad enough to treat?

10. bekalekah

Posted 10 years ago
    Wed Nov 14 2007 0:50:23
    #

Login to Send PM

My roomate never even realized she was being bitten, she discovered we had them when she went to adjust her pillow and felt them along the seam.

11. Kit

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Wed Nov 14 2007 1:52:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Pleasehelp, I found the bug in our bedroom on the floor by the head of the bed, not far from the baseboards which is where I suspect they are (though sadly, I am quite certain they have spread to the living room and guest room by now). I believe the treatment plan is to use Tiempo spray and dust. They are treating all rooms but not the kitchen. They'll come back exactly 14 days later. The prep is pretty standard, I think: bag up clothes and linens, etc., do some major washing/drying prior too and what I can't will go into the shed for the winter and we'll pray for a bitter cold one (for once I am glad to live in Western Canada). I am still not clear on whether I should open "unclean" bags of clothes once the treatment is done in the hopes of luring out the little beasties to their doom or to live without that stuff for 18 months and again, pray for a cold, cold winter. I know this is a dilemma discussed elsewhere. Anyway, hope that helped. If it isn't enough detail or you have more questions, just let me know. However, I just realized that this probably should be a separate thread? Or, you can send a private message, I think. Sorry, am new to this.

12. pleasehelp

Posted 10 years ago
    Wed Nov 14 2007 17:27:12
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks much for the info, Kit!

13. BBsBlow

Posted 10 years ago
    Wed Nov 14 2007 20:14:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Kit-
    I'm interested in all experiences. It's terrible that PCOs won't treat without proof, but as for what "proof" is, it really varies by PCO. Meanwhile, that gives the bug carte blache to continue to breed (and hide!).

14. kraystone

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Nov 15 2007 6:14:05
    #

Login to Send PM

My bedbugs were easy to find during the free check up. So we immediately got our landlord to sign the contract.

During the 2 treatments, my PCO never found any bed bugs though. So they were puzzled when I called to say that I was still getting bitten and caught 2 live nymphs with blood fresh in them. They took my taped specimens away, perhaps as evidence or verification purpose.

I think my bed had been their main breeding spot, because after sealing them completely, I've been bite-free for 11 days. I hope they had not spread elsewhere but if they did, I pray that the residual spray had got them.

15. SamSmithPCO

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Nov 15 2007 9:45:50
    #

Login to Send PM

To all
    Sorry to say, it has been my experience that times vary, The last place we treated we suspect, based on the customers account of his travel, he had them for several months before he knew it. He started seeing blood on his pillow, but did not have any cuts or scraps. This was his first clue.

In fairness to the PCOs, I would assume that the ones that are not treating unless they can verify an infestation, are most likely hindered by the Laws, Rules and Regulations of their State. I can't imagine a PCO not wanting to help in these situations. Not to mention passing on selling a job. We are in business to make money too.

As I have seen others in this forum so adamantly post, PCO's are not doctors, so unfortunately a bite is not the only evidence needed.

There are techniques out there that are in use by many PCO's now, that can help them find hidden infestations. Even if all the evidence you have is bites.

Kit
    When you put the items in the shed remember that any clothing you bag will create a layer of insulation for the bugs against the cold. The dryer in my experience is your best friend when it comes to cloths. You do not even need to wash them first, just put them in the dryer on the hottest temp the cloths are labeled for and one cycle should do you fine. When we treat we use a heat box for items that can ot be chemically or steam treated. The important thing is that the temp must remain constant for a period of time. Think of it like being near a camp fire. If it gets to hot you move away until it is comfortable, So will a bed bug, if it gets cold (or hot) it will move to a more comfortable area, say deeper in the clothing in the bag.

16. DougSummersMS

oldtimer

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Nov 15 2007 9:47:41
    #

Login to Send PM

State laws (not all states) and pesticide labels require visual identification of the pest before treatment may proceed. There are good reasons for this requirement, like the misdiagnoses of bite marks & pests, but delays in treatment are an unfortunate result.

This is a situation where a K9 assisted search can be invaluable to quickly locate & ID these cryptic parasites. Early stage infestations can be extremely hard to find even when you know exactly where to look.

17. SamSmithPCO

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Nov 15 2007 10:07:56
    #

Login to Send PM

You are right on target Mr. Summers and good point about the labels too. Bed Bug Scent Detection Dogs is the technique I was speaking of, but there is plenty of information about that subject else where on bedbugger, without making this another thread on BBSD Dogs.

18. dawnsimonds2

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Nov 15 2007 11:37:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Sam,

When you treated this customer who had them for several months but didn't know, did you actually find live bugs?

Thanks,
    Dawn

19. DougSummersMS

oldtimer

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Nov 15 2007 12:13:16
    #

Login to Send PM

Sam

I was not trying to change the subject of the discussion.

I was just responding to Kit's post about delays in treatment.

Feel free to refer to me by my first name.

20. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Nov 15 2007 12:34:56
    #

Login to Send PM

Sam said,

"There are techniques out there that are in use by many PCO's now, that can help them find hidden infestations. Even if all the evidence you have is bites."

Besides dogs, which can be a good option, some PCOs will use a chemical to attempt to "flush out" bed bugs from the wall. This should only be done professionally, but it is a way in which PCOs might do something to help them find bed bugs. And of course, they can treat once they find them.

Many PCOs, however, don't understand that visual evidence is hard to find, and I think this is where many bedbuggers' skepticism comes from. Customers will often present blood stains, black specks and bite marks, and the PCO will reassure them that they just see lint and are worrying about nothing. In our experience--on the forums--this can be true. But typically, the person continues being bitten. PCOs who will take steps to flush out bed bugs, when this is possible, make a huge difference.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  21. dawnsimonds2

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Nov 15 2007 12:38:38
    #

Login to Send PM

Sorry, I just don't want this to get lost because I'd like to hear Sam's reply:

Sam,

When you treated this customer who had them for several months but didn't know, did you actually find live bugs?

Thanks,
    Dawn

22. (deleted)

Unregistered

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Nov 15 2007 12:58:05
    #

Login to Send PM

As I have seen others in this forum so adamantly post, PCO's are not doctors, so unfortunately a bite is not the only evidence needed.

Actually, Mr. Smith, the discussion in that thread was about whether it was improper for a PCO to rule out the presence of bedbugs based on the appearance of bites, something that not even doctors are able to do.

Legally and ethically, a scenario that is different than the one being discussed in this thread.

23. Kit

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Nov 15 2007 15:16:13
    #

Login to Send PM

I am running around trying to get ready for treatment tomorrow, but wanted to take a second to respond and thank everyone for their thoughts. I so appreciate it. Sam, I hear you on the shed and further insulating the bugs... My hope is that we won't use that stuff in there for the next 18 mos. It may turn out that we do need some things from the shed, but I sure as heck will throw them in the dryer first. Of course, the risk is that we bring them back in by accident as we go to dry them. And, the shed is not that far from the house if they decide they are homesick. I guess it would be best to try and figure out what might be needed during our treatment so if some bugs do get out while doing laundry, there is the poison from the treatment. Ha, I hope I am making sense. As you can all imagine, I have a lot on my mind. Actually, I have another question regarding treatment, but will start a new thread later today. Thanks again everyone.

24. SamSmithPCO

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Nov 15 2007 17:28:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Dawn
    Sorry it took me so long to get back to you. I had an appointment.

Yes, we were able to verify live bugs, cast skins, eggs, fecal stains etc. In all rooms except the kitchen and dining room.

Hopelessnomo
    Actually, Mr. Smith, the discussion in that thread was about whether it was improper for a PCO to rule out the presence of bedbugs based on the appearance of bites, something that not even doctors are able to do.

Legally and ethically, a scenario that is different than the one being discussed in this thread.

My mistake. I thought earlier you were saying PCOs were not qualified (since they were not doctors)to identify the bites to clear a house so I figured the same applied to determining if they were there too, and that was the theory I was going on based on the comment

We never found any blood spots or fecal matter or cast skins. Nothing but the bites.

I stand corrected.

Doug
    Thanks, I like first names better too.

Sam I was not trying to change the subject of the discussion.

Sorry for the misunderstanding. I was not saying you were trying to start another thread. I was just stating the reason I had not been clearer about exactly what I meant when I said

"There are techniques out there that are in use by many PCO's now, that can help them find hidden infestations. If I was trying to accuse you of that I would probally have said "You should stop trying to change the subject of the thread"

To all
    Please feel free to call me by my first name too. Mr. Smith is my Dad.

25. itchyincharmcity

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Nov 15 2007 18:01:50
    #

Login to Send PM

Sam, can I PM you with a question?

26. SamSmithPCO

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Nov 15 2007 18:13:43
    #

Login to Send PM

go ahead i'll be here another 15 min or so.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

270,513 posts in 44,038 topics over 133 months by 19,284 of 19,912 members. Latest: Aegis_, paulsinn, emeralddragonfly