Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug bites, skin, etc.

How likely is it bedbugs?

(2 posts)
  1. bbskeptic

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Tue Dec 5 2017 13:48:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Two Saturdays ago my husband noticed a couple itchy spots on his hand. He has eczema, which tends to flare up at this time of year, and assumed it was that. But within two days he had 50 or more spots covering most of his body (looks like mosquito bites). He went to the doctor and they said bedbugs. I thoroughly searched the bedroom and found no evidence. He went to a dermatologist for a second opinion and he said it didn't look like bedbugs because it was so widespread on his body and they didn't have any pattern. He did a skin biopsy and the results said the spots were insect bites. We searched the room again and the only insect evidence we've found is a few dead carpet beetle larvae and casings on the mattress (found a live one under our daughter's bed). It might just be wishful thinking but I find it hard to believe it could be bed bugs for the following reasons.

1. The bites went from 2-50+ in a matter of two days. Wouldn't bedbug bites slowly increase as their population grew?
    2. I feel like there would be evidence of an infestation if he had 50 bites. I scoured the room for the telltale signs and found nothing.
    3. Aside from his hands, the bites are all under his clothing and on his scalp.
    4. He's broken out in similar itchy spots (though not as many) at this time of year before but that could be a coincidence.

I am wondering what our next step should be. The bites have been fading for several days but he did find 4 new ones this morning (1 on each hand and thigh). Should we assume he's reacting to the carpet beetles since that is what we found? We have indoor cats and didn't find fleas when we checked but could have missed them. Maybe it's worth a trip to a vet? Or should we just call a PCO?

2. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 1 week ago
    Tue Dec 5 2017 14:01:04
    #

Login to Send PM

It doesn't sound like bed bugs for the reasons you pointed out. Some people react to the hairs of the larval carpet beetle. Maybe some of the spots are bites or punctures and the rest of them are just the skin having a reaction and swelling up.

HVAC/Locksmith/Bed Bug Control for a non-profit homeless shelter and long term veteran housing.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

267,806 posts in 43,548 topics over 131 months by 19,076 of 19,668 members. Latest: tireddddddd, bedbugcrazed, HOWDY1