How fast do baby bedbugs grow up?

(3 posts)
  1. cantstopitching

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Nov 8 2010 3:31:01
    #

Login to Send PM

From the day the little sh*ts hatch, how quickly do they become full grown adults if they have a constant meal? Days? Weeks? Months? Can they reproduce at any nymph stage or do they need to be adults to reproduce? How quickly does that happen?
    What is the most likely form of transfer that is happening? It seems strange to me that adults would be the most likely hitchhikers since they are larger and easier to see. But then if it were nymphs you would need both male and female hitchhikers to reproduce and really cause problems (which most people seem to have). So is it most likely eggs that are transferring on things and clothes and then they hatch and there you have it...lots of baby bed bugs all of a sudden? and how DO the eggs work? are there lots of eggs and one bug per egg or one egg and lots of bugs per egg?
    I hate them.

2. cantstopitching

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Nov 8 2010 3:52:28
    #

Login to Send PM

I think I found the answer to my own question...it sounds like it takes at least a month or longer for a baby/nymph to become an adult. But is that with a constant blood meal? Can a nymph even become an adult without a blood meal? Do they only advance from each nymph stage after a blood meal? I think that's how they work. So then could they have a dry spell for several months and only be at stage 2 and then 6 months later finally get a blood meal and then advance to stage 3?
    I hate them.

3. NewBlood

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Nov 8 2010 11:50:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Hey cantstopitching,

To my knowledge a nymph can not become an adult without getting several meals from the host - they advance each stage after feeding on you (kinda like ticks I think, or chiggers (although chiggers want skin cells not blood)). The female bed bugs can't produce eggs without a blood meal either (if what I have read is true) - although I couldn't tell you how long they are viable for before they need another blood meal. I believe that the situation you lay out (where they wait for a few months between blood meals to progress) would be true in that case.

Hopefully if I'm wrong one of the more knowledgeable posters will pipe in.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

184,168 posts in 28,300 topics over 87 months by 12,192 of 19,347 members. Latest: falc2, jazzychazzy, MANthrax
Site Meter