Login to Send PM

Has anyone witnessed bed bugs crawling?

How quick?

2. nightshirt

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Jul 11 2007 16:16:42
    #

Login to Send PM

hubbie did and he said very quick. mph - that i couldnt answer but it ran across a book he was reading. ewwwwwww

3. scratchy

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Jul 11 2007 16:27:40
    #

Login to Send PM

In myexperience they are quick but not as fast as a cockroach.

4. willow-the-wisp

banned

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Jul 11 2007 18:05:12
    #

Login to Send PM

I saw new hatchlings, and they are so small you can barely see them before they blood-feed. run not exactly in a straight lines at about one full arms length, or say 3 1/2 to 41/2 feet in under one minute. Thing is .... they often stop or veer off to the side. So they did not actually run the full length but when they do run (and if they had not stopped) it is about right I'd say .... judging from how fast they did go-- to say up to 4 feet a minute. AND HERE I AM ONLY TALKING AOBUT HTCHLINGS.
    I think, AT ALL STAGES, they may be just as apt to dive down into things like matressess and rugs, as if to hide and concerve energy, as oppossed to continue running away. Most of the one's I caught were trying to hide--or they were actually running towards me as if to bite!
    (I only caught like 40 total), and I studied them in the greatest detail I knew how to: so I'm no expert. But I'd say "I'd rather be chasing a roach anyday anyway!

Now: the 3rd stage nymphs on my matress--when I first saw them all there!--Now, see ... they liked to jump onto the rug and it looked like they were "melting into the weave of the rug" They were just jumping off the bed because I was vacuuming them up. They are 90% as fast as a roach going at full speed ...

(In addition, a tip about initial vacuuming of the mattress--catch them unawares during the day and just suck 'em all up, with the crevice tool. (Keep some hadi-dandy contact killers like 91 % rubbing Alcohol in a spray bottle for the one’s diving down into the carpet)

However, roaches don't hide inside a rug I don't think...
    Do they?
    I mean ... not, as if, they were trying to hide when your "after them" with a wad of newspaper?

BB's seem to me to be more "wiry" than roaches but also "dumber" too:
    It's catching them when they are unaware and in docile-mode. Now that counts if your counting how many your killing!

And speaking of roaches, the humongous roach, I found, in my room, this morning. It may not be a roach but I found a pic of it, in the dictionary, under a heading called "coackaroach2" it was like 10 adult bed bugs all rolled into one--it was that huge--really! Hairy legs too--wish I could post a photo--can't. 3 inches or better.

5. Bugalina

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Jul 11 2007 18:31:58
    #

Login to Send PM

lieutenantdan...YES...My husband picked one off of the back of my tshirt...he said it was crawling upwards towards my neck..and it was going very fast...fortunately he had good reflexes and got it...I also saw one traveling at top speed from a wooden floor plank into a crevice ...it was going very fast...If you have ever seen a roach scurry away...it was like that ...quick...

6. parakeets

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Jul 12 2007 8:39:38
    #

Login to Send PM

I'd describe the speed of a hungry bedbug as "lickety split" and as fast as a roach. However a just-fed bedbug, with its tear drop shape and body full of blood, moves much more slowly.

7. lieutenantdan

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Jul 12 2007 11:30:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Here is another strange story.
    The reason why I posted this question was that I had three framed pieces of art in a bag for months. They were initially left out and treated by PCO three times. My wife wished to display the work so I brought them outside and sprayed them with Sterifab and then Bedlam, they had also been dusted with DE two months or so ago. Now picture this. It is dark out but I have light from garage on so I can see and I also have my trusty flashlight and 10X lupe and it is very humid and damp. I live in NYC. I see two bugs crawling, moving very fast on my hand and around it, by the time I grab a piece of tape to catch them they are gone. I was not able to get a sample so I am not able to identify them. Of course I became concerned and sprayed the surroundings with Sterifab and Bedlam.
    So you can all imagine how I felt and still feel about that. Were they bed bugs or some other kind of bug?
    This is all so crazy! What ever the future holds in this bed bug thing I don't know but I do know that I will fight till I am totally sure of a win. No option.

8. RatherBeBiking

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Jul 12 2007 20:56:07
    #

Login to Send PM

The little [expletive deleted] can move. Not as fast as roaches but fast enough to get out of sight fast.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

191,391 posts in 29,446 topics over 90 months by 12,706 of 19,970 members. Latest: abq671, skittles1234, allergictomyself