How far will bedbugs travel?

(10 posts)
  1. sandie

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Aug 25 2011 8:15:36
    #

Login to Send PM

The apartment building across the street from me is infested. They are throwing out mattresses. clothes and household items. The bugs could be seen walking on the mattresses.

Is it possible for the bugs to travel across the street and get to my house? Do they die after being outside? Should I be spraying the exterior of my house or not parking my car across the street in the road?

Paranoid? Maybe. But I have had the willies since I found out.

2. bbgirl

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Aug 25 2011 8:20:48
    #

Login to Send PM

That's horrible....not an expert but there have been stories posted here about bedbugs walking from building to building. Not sure that they would cross the street rather than go somewhere closer but I guess it's possible. I wouldn't park my car there. Hopefully an expert will respond and let you know if you should do something precautionary around the outside of your house until they get that cleared up

3. sandie

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Aug 25 2011 8:57:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Everyone is outside and pest control is there now.

4. Koebner

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Aug 25 2011 9:07:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Just a note - If one has or suspects a BB infestation, one should not drag infested or possibly infested articles outside unless they are securely wrapped & sealed.

Moving items without taking this precaution is a fabulous way to spread an infestation right round the home or into public areas of a building.
    If articles are to be discarded, first put them beyond re-use, then wrap & securely seal the items before moving them from their original location.

I wouldn't worry about BBs crossing the street - they're going to want to find much more immediate places to hide. On the other hand, I wouldn't go over to inspect the problem either. Why run to trouble?

5. EffeCi

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Aug 25 2011 10:03:29
    #

Login to Send PM

I wouldn't worry about BBs crossing the street

Me too...

6. BBFSTyler

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Aug 25 2011 12:20:37
    #

Login to Send PM

Koebner - 3 hours ago  » 
    Just a note - If one has or suspects a BB infestation, one should not drag infested or possibly infested articles outside unless they are securely wrapped & sealed.
    Moving items without taking this precaution is a fabulous way to spread an infestation right round the home or into public areas of a building.
    If articles are to be discarded, first put them beyond re-use, then wrap & securely seal the items before moving them from their original location.
    I wouldn't worry about BBs crossing the street - they're going to want to find much more immediate places to hide. On the other hand, I wouldn't go over to inspect the problem either. Why run to trouble?

Perfect advice Koebner dont moving anything from an infested unit without securing it with plastic wrapping or encasements

7. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Aug 25 2011 12:33:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

I also would not worry about them moving across the street but I would stick some notes up on their building to show them the correct way to deal with things.

I wrote a section on disposal for bedbugbeware which can be seen below:

http://www.bedbugbeware.com/disposalinfo.html

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bedbug infestations in domestic and commercial settings. The patent numbers are GB2463953 and GB2470307.

"Astral Entomologist - because so many people say my ideas are out of this world"
  8. Koebner

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Aug 25 2011 13:38:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Bedbugfumigation - I take no credit; all I know I learned here or from David while he was talking me down off the BB ledge.

I never could convince affected people in my neighbourhood to wrap discards or to use the warning images but at I least got a number of infested people to stop passing things on to charity collections (they imagined everything was routinely fumigated).

9. sandie

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Aug 25 2011 14:17:09
    #

Login to Send PM

I spoke to one of the pest guys and he reassured me that it was "very, very, very, very unlikely" that they would make their way to my house.

There are many garbage bags across the way. A large dumpster was brought in for the matresses and bags and the dumpster has now been removed. Most of the tenants are gone for the day while the fumigation takes place.

I feel horrible for the woman in the apartment with the primary infestation. She is mortified and is not in a financial position to replace her mattresses.

The landlord has also been their most of the day. The people over there seem to know what they are doing.

10. sandie

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Aug 25 2011 14:19:38
    #

Login to Send PM

BTW...Thank you for your responses.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.