Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Reader questions (do not fit into other categories)

How far away can a bedbug "sense" you?

(6 posts)
  1. NOtobedbugs

Posted 1 year ago
    Thu Feb 28 2013 16:28:47
    #

Login to Send PM

I have been wondering about this, hopefully someone doesn't mind answering. I have read on here that they sense your heat about a foot away, but what about CO2?
    Example:
    If you put a bedbug in the corner of a room on a lower level, and the only place a person lived was 2 levels above would it find that person eventually?

How far away would they "know" a person (their next meal) was?

If you have an attached garage and left a suitcase with bedbugs in there would they eventually go up a step, through the door, into your house and then ultimately find the bed?

2. AbsolutelyFreaking

oldtimer

Posted 1 year ago
    Thu Feb 28 2013 17:51:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Hmmmm, hypothetical bed bug detection question . . . where have I seen that before?

Paul Bello responded once that bed bugs use different cues to hone in:

P Bello - 4 months ago  » 
    There are a various cues they may hone in on:
    > CO2
    > Heat
    > Karimones
    > Movement & vibrations given off by host (Note that this is not much talked about but it's logical to suspect that this may be a viable cue.)
    > Perhaps others we have yet to discover (Bugs don't talk and are good at keeping their secrets from us.)
    We know that bed bugs can quest or search for hosts. How far is a question that is being looked at by a variety of folks so, stay tuned.
    pb

The above was from this thread:

http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/hypothetical-question-on-bb-behavior

AbsolutelyFreaking a/k/a Abs . . . NOT an expert/professional:
    President of the Lou Sorkin Fan Club; President of the Paul Bello Fan Club;
    David Cain's #1 Fan; Devotee/Follower of Nobugsonme, KillerQueen and Winston O. Buggy; Admirer of NY Bug Man and his phrase "Knock 'em dead;"
    Enthusiast of both the use of ellipses and smiley faces in all my posts . . . and . . . BigDummy's unique wit
  3. NOtobedbugs

Posted 1 year ago
    Thu Feb 28 2013 18:12:23
    #

Login to Send PM

Oh My Gosh!! I laughed when I read the thread. It is pretty much what I was looking for :P. Great minds think alike! I searched but didn't come upon that thread.
    I still have the question though, maybe there really isn't an answer. One of the questions was for myself the others were hypothetical. We do have an attached garage and I do wonder if we came home from vacation and undressed etc. etc. and one ran off, would it eventually come up one step, through the door, into the kitchen and head out to the bedroom!! I have tons of stuff from our bedbug infested vacation in the garage in sealed bags. I'm just going to leave it there for the Winter, but when Spring comes I just don't know if I want to even deal with it!!

4. AbsolutelyFreaking

oldtimer

Posted 1 year ago
    Fri Mar 1 2013 9:33:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi No2bb!

NOtobedbugs - 15 hours ago  » 
    Great minds think alike!

Would that be "great minds think alike" or more like "bed bug panicking minds think alike"?!

NOtobedbugs - 15 hours ago  » 
    I still have the question though, maybe there really isn't an answer. One of the questions was for myself the others were hypothetical. We do have an attached garage and I do wonder if we came home from vacation and undressed etc. etc. and one ran off, would it eventually come up one step, through the door, into the kitchen and head out to the bedroom!!

I think the answer to your question is definitely maybe.

P Bello - 4 months ago  » 
    The Garage Scenario:
    Is it attached or detached? How often to people enter the garage? How long are they present in the garage? What do they do in there? Pets? Temperature? yadda, yadda, yadda !
    Is it possible that a bed bug(s) on an infested couch, or mattress, can get from the garage to the house?
    In short yes however, we'd have to consider the various parameters and factors that come into play.
    paul b.

Seriously, reading PB's responses I took it to mean that if there are bed bugs in your garage then it is possible they could find their way into the house - seems like those little b*sta*ds are capable of just about anything - but that a lot of factors would/could come into play. Like how many bed bugs are out there, do you have pets they could hitch a ride on, etc. And then I would think there is the question of just because it's possible how likely is it? Again, I would think all the "factors" would come into play. That's just my take on it. But short answer is, as Paul stated above, IF you have bed bugs in your garage it is possible for them to make it into your house.

Maybe we could ask PB for an update and see if he has persuaded any of his bugs to divulge their secrets?

How long ago was your vacation if you are still worried about one that might have fallen off before you bagged everything up? And, of course, be careful and take all the proper precautions when you start dealing with all the sealed bags from your vacation!

5. NOtobedbugs

Posted 1 year ago
    Fri Mar 1 2013 9:57:50
    #

Login to Send PM

I am not worried anymore about having bedbugs in my home. Our vacation was last September and we definitely had bedbugs in our hotel room. Our stuff was heat treated however I wasn't impressed with a few other things they did and truly believe we may have brought some with us. We have full suitcases in space bags in our garage right now.
    A weird thing that happened is about a month ago - I had brought some lotion in a sealed bottle with a plastic seal thing over the top home. That got put in a ziplock bag and in my bathroom cabinet. I decided it was time to use it and being educated now from this website I opened it over my white bathroom sink. I took it out, looked it over and went to grab the ziplock bag to throw it away and a bug was in my sink!!! It was running very fast and I killed it, worried it might get away. So I couldn't ID it as a bedbug but it freaked me out and honestly I am still stumped. We're talking about a glass jar in a ziplock bag.
    So as like many people here I am very paranoid as neither my husband nor I seemed to react to any bites we may have received in the hotel room. We did not notice any bites, we found a bug! I am trying to learn as much as I can to help prevent ever getting them and am trying to educate my children also (they live on their own now).

6. c02candle

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Thu Jul 18 2013 1:58:54
    #

Login to Send PM

bed bugs are known to transfer into other rooms/apartments when poisoned or unoccupied so yes of course they venture distances.

My daughter who was getting bitten, I had stay at her moms for some time only for the bugs to transfer into my room at the other end of our 1000 sf apt. so yes. they'll find you.
    not sure if this is by exploration or actual sense of heat from long distance, but I am sure they hone in somehow rather than go in some random direction given their success.

vibration is a good theory too but I think at night our co2 and heat is very oozing and directional for them to follow from any distance indoors.

time to set up the tent on top of the bed and see what that attracts.
    but set your alarm for 3 am, otherwise by then they seem to go back to their hiding place.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.