Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Reader questions (do not fit into other categories)

How Easily do Bedbugs Spread?

(7 posts)
  1. Y

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Nov 3 2010 2:37:24
    #

Login to Send PM

I recently discovered that I do indeed have bedbugs. The news horrifies me, of course, but what worries me more is that I visited my parents' home a few days ago and am afraid I might have spread the infection to them. The stats are as follows: I didn't bring any clothes to my parents' home aside from the ones I was wearing (and had been wearing during a 12-hour workday), and I only brought back a duffel bag which was in my closet on a pile of cardboard boxes (and was well shaken out before packing) and a backpack which I use regularly. Could I have transported bedbugs to my parents' home anyway?

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Nov 3 2010 2:54:05
    #

Login to Send PM

It's possible, but it depends where they were living in your home, whether any were in your clothing or bag, etc. It's probably more likely if you have more bed bugs.

While a lot of folks here go to a lot of trouble on a daily basis to avoid spreading their bed bugs, it does not mean that every time you leave home, you'll have one on you or your stuff. So try not to panic.

You might set your folks up with a cheap, passive bed bug monitor (like BBAlert or ClimbUp Interceptors), which is something I think everyone should have in place at this time. They're both cheap. The BBAlert is the more subtle option, as long as the parents know how it works and will use it as directed.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. Y

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Nov 3 2010 3:02:54
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the quick reply.

Like I said, I'd been wearing the same clothings I'd worn all day...and I hadn't slept in my bed that night, and the backpack is one that I use every day so I'm not too worried about carrying bedbugs on my person. My real worry is the duffel bag which sits on a cardboard shelf in my closet most of the time. I thought I did shake it out very thoroughly so I don't think there were any actual bugs in it, but still I'm worried that bedbugs may have laid eggs in it or something...is this possible?

My parents live in the suburbs where the fear of bedbugs is still largely unknown, so I'd like to avoid destroying their peace of mind if possible...

4. Y

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Nov 3 2010 3:46:54
    #

Login to Send PM

Also, just to note...I have a confirmed infestation, it seems somewhat minor right now but every couple nights I catch a couple bedbugs scurrying around and they go straight down the toilet...I hope flushing them is an appropriate way to dispose of them?

5. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Nov 3 2010 9:59:53
    #

Login to Send PM

"every couple nights I catch a couple bedbugs scurrying around and they go straight down the toilet"

If you are catching and killing a couple of bed bugs every few nights, it sounds like it's not that small of an infestation. Keep in mind that lots of people with light infestations simply don't see any bed bugs (and have to go to lengths to find confirmation).

I am not saying you took them to your parents' home, but it is possible. It is even possible that this happened before you knew you had bed bugs (if you visited them in the recent past).

It is possible for them to have been in the duffel. Even if you shook it, it's possible it contained bed bugs or eggs.

"the backpack is one that I use every day so I'm not too worried about carrying bedbugs on my person"

I am not clear on how the fact that you use it every day means it can't have bed bugs in it. I may be missing something. Anything which is sitting around in your home (not sealed in an airtight manner), and which you take or wear out of your home, could potentially bring bed bugs with it.

Again, don't panic. But you should be alert that this is a possibility.

As I also said before, I think everyone should be monitoring to ensure they catch any infestations early. Including people who haven't had known visitors with bed bugs. If you can perhaps spin this along those lines, it may not alarm them as much.

6. SearchandDestroy

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Nov 3 2010 19:24:27
    #

Login to Send PM

Anything is possible...is the closet in your bedroom?

We had my sister overnight at our house before we knew we had bbs. I'd say we had them for 3 weeks when they came to visit. They never got them. We had a light infestation..never saw an adult running, just 2 babies over the course of about 3 months during treatment.

I would do the passive monitors..you'll feel better if you tell them and no one wants to disrupt anyones peace of mind, but hey...this is what's happening. Better for them to know than not.

7. Bug Slayer

banned

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Feb 2 2011 12:57:28
    #

Login to Send PM

How did the bugs get in the toilet bowl,they can climb glass or porcleain.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

183,993 posts in 28,273 topics over 87 months by 12,188 of 19,341 members. Latest: Vantz, bugAnxiety, redbird
Site Meter