How easily do bed bugs transfer??

(13 posts)
  1. jbob

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Dec 15 2008 3:10:21
    #

Login to Send PM

Here's the situation my girlfriends aunty lived in an aparment infested with bed bugs the place was professionally sprayed last wednesday. This saturday she spent a good 6 hrs with one of her cousins that lives in that apartment. She first picked her up in her car travelled around for a while (approx. an hour maybe more) then came to our house used the computer and sat on our couch for a bit then left to a movie. Now i know im a paranoid freak about stuff like this but my animals had gotten fleas once before and that was hell and very gross. I was just wondering if it is highly likely or even what the odds she would have carried the bugs to my house? and if i should be concerned or not about if they would be here??? please someone reply ASAP thank you

2. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Dec 15 2008 3:39:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Hard question to answer correctly. The bug is an excellent hitchhiker. That is why bed bug infestations are on the rise at alarming rates. With caution you can reduce the chances or eliminate the risk all together. With 400 plus treatments over the last 3 years I have never brought them into my home .. and I touch everything inside a persons residence when I do my treatments. Hard to tell you for sure, I don’t think anyone can answer your question

3. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Dec 15 2008 3:41:38
    #

Login to Send PM

Get a K9 in for an inspection. Otherwise you may not know for a while.

4. jbob

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Dec 15 2008 3:48:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Where do you find something like a K9 inspection local exterminator??

5. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Dec 15 2008 3:52:09
    #

Login to Send PM

I just replied to your PM you sent.

6. jbob

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Dec 15 2008 5:25:27
    #

Login to Send PM

i guess i should also mention that it is really cold here in winnipeg on the day it happened it was easily -25 to -30 degrees Celius. w/o wind chill with wind chill below -40 would the bugs and larva die in those conditions before they made it into my house?? they would have been outside for at least 10-15 min with entering and exiting the car and going places before heading to my house.??

7. terry glasson

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Dec 15 2008 7:21:39
    #

Login to Send PM

BBs are generally only active at night. As KQ mentioned lots of exterminations and no infestation as is my experience. Obviously, we take precautions but unless a/ the bugs were disturbed or threatened, therefore moving about and possibly getting into or onto something or b/ your relative (got a bit lost there) carried or wore something that was infested, then I would think you would be unlikely to get infested in that manner. I would ponder that, although the cold would be unlikely to kill them, it would likely move them deeper into the garment (if they were there) and less likely to run about at the first opportunity.

8. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Dec 15 2008 7:36:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

The probability of the infestation being spread on clothes from location to location is more of a product of how extreme the infestation is. In short the heavier the infestation and the longer it has been going the greater the risk that they will work their way into clothing and from location to location.

If your friend took appropriate steps to wash or tumble dry the clothes before leaving the infected area then the probability of them spreading is very low. Please make sure that your friend understands this and take all precautions in future.

This also goes for hotel rooms, for a room to be heavily infected enough for your to run a serious risk of taking the problem home with you the signs are usual highly visible if you look for them or more importantly the signs of their activity. The best sign to look for are the faecal traces. These are ever present and will indicate now severe the infestation is.

Bed bugs themselves are active when people are active in an area, for example:

• Hotel rooms - active at night mainly
    • Public transport - active during peak commutes
    • Work places - active during the day

They have the ability to detect human presence and the sense to only be active when they have minimal chance of being spotted.

To work out if there is a likelihood of transmission I would chat with your friend and see how bad their case is, its a good chance to make sure they are aware of the steps they need to take to not spread the matter further.

Hope this helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited
    http://www.Bed-Bugs.co.uk

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bedbug infestations in domestic and commercial settings. The patent numbers are GB2463953 and GB2470307.
  9. parakeets

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Dec 15 2008 11:39:19
    #

Login to Send PM

There are some great answers here! Did she bring bags with her when she came to your house? If she didn't, that would cut the chances of bedbugs spreading.

10. jbob

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Dec 15 2008 12:43:44
    #

Login to Send PM

she brought a purse, which my girlfriend inturn didn't like a looked real childish so she gave her a new purse(at my house). Her cousin then put the other purse into the new purse and kept them both later going to a movie where the purse was lost and left. My girlfriend and i later went to retrive the purse and then brought it home. but i have washed that purse in hot water and dried but am unsure of the extistance of any bed bugs in it. cant see anything. i am hoping the -40 degree weather here helped save my ass a little maybe the bugs if any stayed on here till she got home cause it was so cold. or even to the movie theater and took off then..... how long till i know and are there anything i can do to help prevent it. i read all the info on the bugs so i assume like 7 days if there were any eggs that could hatch. but wouldnt extreme colds like that kill eggs in no time at all. i am thinking of renting a steam cleaner and doing all my beds and couches i have no carpets so i don't have to worry about that. and just do a through cleaning of everything else because my house in a mess due to the fact that i am doing renos right now so it could use it.

11. jbob

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Dec 15 2008 15:33:29
    #

Login to Send PM

they have had them for a while and have been having the exterminator in so im not sure how severe their infestation is they have taped all the base boards and taken some of the precautions to get rid of them as well. so i assume they take half decent care of it and are still allowed in school so it can't be too bad. she never spent the night and was here during mid day as well so that helps my situation a bit i guess cause they could be spotted. The bag stayed in a movie theater for like 5 hrs before coming to my house. so i would hope they would have gotten out before then. just washed it last night though after i thought of it.i checked it and didn't see any signs of bed bugs in the bad no fecal matter or blood spots or bugs in general but washed it to be safe. so i assume the likely hood of them getting here is very slim taking all the factors in affect right???!!!

12. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Dec 15 2008 17:16:26
    #

Login to Send PM

As I mentioned in the PM it is a long, long, shot you have a problem on your hands. But for your peace of mind there is only 1 option to ease your nerves. All this talk is not going to help you know for sure. As I mention PM DougSummers for a possible referral for a K9 in your area. They are 98% if you find a good dog and handler. Do it and get back to a bed bug free life =)

13. jbob

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Dec 15 2008 22:54:54
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you i attempted talking to him but had no respose hopefully he can help and gets back to me

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.