Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » General Topics

How do you tell if a bed bug is male or female?

(10 posts)
  1. Jenn28

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Oct 19 2010 17:20:25
    #

Login to Send PM

I've read many times where people will say it was a male or female. How do you tell?

2. DeedleBeetle

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Oct 19 2010 18:16:33
    #

Login to Send PM

i believe that the females have a rounded rear end and the males are sort of pointy at the end....(i guess that makes sense, huh?)

3. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Oct 19 2010 18:35:36
    #

Login to Send PM

DeedleBeetle - 18 minutes ago  » 
    i believe that the females have a rounded rear end and the males are sort of pointy at the end....(i guess that makes sense, huh?)

Yep, egg bearing hips/abdomen.

4. bug-tired

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Oct 19 2010 18:36:22
    #

Login to Send PM

That does make sense! I found a pair yesterday but I had it the other way around. But since they were both together in their ziplock bag it made it real easy to see that there is a difference. One with a rounded end and one with a pointy tip. The round one (female) was also a bit larger. That also figures, huh?

5. bug-tired

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Oct 19 2010 18:38:08
    #

Login to Send PM

Funny, too, the "pair" were about as far away from each other on the back of the loveseat as they could get. I understand the female is not too fond of the male's bedside manner.

6. nycyn

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Oct 19 2010 18:45:08
    #

Login to Send PM

bug-tired - 4 minutes ago  » 
    Funny, too, the "pair" were about as far away from each other on the back of the loveseat as they could get. I understand the female is not too fond of the male's bedside manner.

Can you blame the girls? Isn't it something like the male pierces anywhere in her body that they can. How they get preggers like that I don't know.

My gawd I am sick. Me thinks I should be thinking about my own sex life. This is not a good sign.

7. Sleepless in NYC

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Oct 19 2010 20:57:06
    #

Login to Send PM

bug-tired. can you post a picture of them so we can see the difference?

8. loubugs

old timer

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Oct 19 2010 21:06:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Can you blame the girls? Isn't it something like the male pierces anywhere in her body that they can. How they get preggers like that I don't know.

That's the big misconception. The male doesn't jab anywhere but there is a particular area in which he does. The area also depends on the bed bug species. Through evolution particular structures have evolved for this sort of insemination and also for sperm storage. The sperm has to travel within her body cavity to get to the right place, too. The female has to nourish the sperm, too, otherwise they will die. The female has to mate multiple times during her adult life and also (obviously) has to feed multiple times, too. The mating is called traumatic insemination.

Professional consulting entomologist/arachnologist in all matters dealing with insects and arachnids.
  9. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Oct 19 2010 21:10:28
    #

Login to Send PM

The female will listen to you and ask for help if she needs it. The male?, well you know.

10. bug-tired

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Oct 19 2010 21:20:54
    #

Login to Send PM

Sorry, in a moment of blind murderous rage, I smashed them to death in their ziplock bags. I was going to keep the gory mess anyway but my boyfriend threw it away. I think I may have scared him a little bit.

I did find a picture Dr. Sorkin posted of a male & female together. They look cute together, like they're in love:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lou_bugs_pix/4190184458/

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

184,369 posts in 28,325 topics over 87 months by 12,196 of 19,350 members. Latest: MANthrax, buggingcane, pecunianon
Site Meter