Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Tales of Bed Bug Woe

How do YOU sleep at night?

(19 posts)
  1. kjdrga

Posted 11 years ago
    Thu Jul 31 2008 7:56:52
    #

Login to Send PM

I'd like to know how what are some tips or tricks for being able to sleep at night?

As I prepare for the third treatment and final treatment (on my current contract) I must admit I was a bad patient. I have spent the last two weeks sleeping in the guest room because I was too paranoid to sleep in the bedroom where there the BB's have taken residence and I was finally able to get 8 hours of sleep which seemed to improve my mental and physical well being. But the consequence is that I essentially eliminated the "bait" in this equation.

The whole house was treated in the first treatment and treatment 2 and 3 consist of treating hotspots, mainly the entire upstairs floor where the master bedroom and other surrounds rooms are. I am fairly confident that the BB's are contained to the master bedroom.

For the past two nights I've been back in the master bedroom and the first night was fine, didn't feel or see a thing. Last night however I found one on the wall and a nymph one trying to escape after feeding (I had to burst it's bubble and thus killing it on my bed!) Even though I encased my box spring, I had to throw it out because there were too many rips in the bb proof encasement and it was not longer effective. I now have made a makeshift bed base out of 2x3 boards what lay over the bed frame and I have duct tape over the rough parts (My thought here is I can dust them easily with DE using a paint brush). To protect my mattress encasement from meeting the same fate as the box spring I took a mattress cover I have and put it on the bottom side of the mattress so it rest upon the boards. Realizing I'll have to put this in the dryer every couple of days to kill any bb's that try to establish themselves there.

I have not truly isolated my bed yet and plan on doing so after the treatment tomorrow, but I know how much the bb's love to crawl on my walls and ceiling I'm just having a hard time actually believing that I will be able to isolate it (once I've worked up the courage to I will reread the post regarding this practice).

I have to say when I finally realized I had BB's and would see 20 or 30 in a night so finding 1 or 2 is a relief....but it's 1 or 2 too many and probably something 3 treatments won't fix.

I've been prescribed Ambien CR to help, but my paranoia actually can fight it and I'll still be up all night and then terribly useless at work the next day.

So as I sit here at work itching and wondering how many bb's got away last night with a sip of my blood, do folks have any sensible suggestions on how to actually sleep through the night....

2. kjdrga

Posted 11 years ago
    Thu Jul 31 2008 19:36:23
    #

Login to Send PM

No has any tips??? I have to try to sleep at some point tonight...

3. belle72

Posted 11 years ago
    Thu Jul 31 2008 19:56:53
    #

Login to Send PM

I wish I could help...I'm not such a good sleeper either. I do feel at least a measure of security from encasing w/ the Allerzips. The BBs may be there but if they are in the mattress/boxes, they are not able to get to us. I'd start there, with top of the line encasements. Good luck to you.

4. buggyinsocal

oldtimer

Posted 11 years ago
    Thu Jul 31 2008 20:15:17
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm pretty useless at answering this. I had insomnia *before* the bedbugs. The only thing that saved my sanity was that I took a trip out of town right after treatment, so I had a solid week of sound sleep then, and when I got back to town before going home, I crashed at a friend's house. Not a strategy I would suggest, since I wasn't home being bait for the bugs the whole time.

And, I'm still not able to sleep in my bed. The thought still skeeves me out too much.

Of course, part of that is that I'm planning on isolating the bed, which means totally rearranging ALL the furniture in the bedroom (I have a very small bedroom, and I'm not sure that there is a way to rearrange the room and totally isolate the bed, even once I get the labor to help move all the furniture, which I can't do by myself. Even once I do isolate the bed, it won't be perfect since I have a cat. Who sleeps on the bed. Whom I can't kick out of the room because her litter box is in the bathroom, which is only accessible through the bedroom. So, yeah.

Anyway, my point is that isolating the bed might give you enough psychological faith that the bugs can't get to you that you'll be able to sleep. I understand that isolating the bed isn't always possible, but I thought I'd toss that out there in case you could.

5. kjdrga

Posted 11 years ago
    Thu Jul 31 2008 21:45:33
    #

Login to Send PM

I too am waiting for this last treatment and then will start isolating several pieces of furniture and eventually move them out to make more room.

I have begun to isolate the bed, I have the top of the line encasements, bed is on raisers, and if I sleep in the bed I try to sleep as much in the middle and not too close to the top of the bed so that I can see them come over the edge, or in last nights case run away after feeding...

It's amazing I'll get a good couple nights sleep and think I'm okay to sleep in the room then I'll chicken out. I have started trying to "reintroduce" myself to the room by sitting on the bed during the day etc. It's the night hours that are terrible...and if this sounds like I'm rambling it's because I'm tired....:(

6. itchynscratchy

Posted 11 years ago
    Thu Jul 31 2008 22:19:18
    #

Login to Send PM

Call your doctor and tell him or her what you are going through and ask for an Ambien prescription. I didn't take it every night and I tried not to rely on it. But it was only way I was able to sleep those first few nights.

7. kjdrga

Posted 11 years ago
    Fri Aug 1 2008 6:56:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Itch n scratch - I have the RX for Ambien and honestly it doesn't work. I am able to overpower the drug and obviously don't want to take 2 pills.

WELL I WAS WRONG - last night I slept in the guest room and two hours into my sleep i felt something on my face and when i clicked the flashlight on (I hold it as if it were my securtiy blanket) there was an adult or almost adult bug on my pillow trying to run away...I got it with my 91% alcohol....and saved it for the PCO today...

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH I can't escape them....needless to say I only got about 3 hours sleep last night...

8. Itchy-Scratchy

Posted 11 years ago
    Fri Aug 1 2008 12:34:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi kjdrga;
    I agree that sleep is a problem. I have gotten a prescription for sleep from my doctor, but it doesn't work all that well. My tactic is two-fold (1) Keep trying to fool myself that the problem "isn't that bad" and (2) always have the t.v. on so it distracts my brain. I'm finding after weeks of this agony, I'm starting to sleep, only because the stress in my life is so high that I'm exhausted all the time.

My daughter (who's 25 and lives with me) is using a different tactic. She sleeps completely covered -- and I mean COMPLETELY. She sleeps in thick flannel pajamas with the bottoms of the pants tucked into thick socks. She tucks the sleeves into the light "moisture gloves" for women. She puts a hoodie on top of that. And she sprays off on her face. Other than being very hot (the air conditioner is now kept on full-blast) she has been bite-free since she began the protocol. She's actually thinking that she might add a hat to her ensemble!! It makes me laugh every night when she puts on the getup. Last night, she added hip-hop movements and I was in stitches. Thank God she's around, because she always manages to make me laugh.

Both of us have had to call in sick to work on occassion, simply because we are sleep deprived. When we get to that point, we usually ask my parents to take us in for the night. I HATE to do it, because I live in deathly fear that I will spread the bugs to someone else, but we follow strict laundry/cleaning guidelines before we go, and so far they don't have BBs.

My daughter and I are also exploring the idea of meditation in order to help us through this.

FYI, I used to have a beautiful antique copper sign that read "Nighty-night, sleep tight" and I hung it in my bedroom. I trashed it two weeks ago.

Best of luck to you.

9. kjdrga

Posted 11 years ago
    Fri Aug 1 2008 20:46:08
    #

Login to Send PM

Just when I physch myself up to sleep in my bed I back out....

On the bright side I bought a new white white fitted sheet at walmart today (bought the cheapest they had) so I can see what I'll suspect will be there...bb's.

Maybe with enough beer or wine I'll fall asleep and stay that way until the morning!

10. itchynscratchy

Posted 11 years ago
    Fri Aug 1 2008 21:34:49
    #

Login to Send PM

is your ambien 5 or 10mg? if yours is 5 that may be way it doesn't work well for you. i would call you doctor and get the clear to take 2 pills. if you already have 10mg, ask for lunesta. worth trying another kind of sleeping pill.

11. crawledon

Posted 11 years ago
    Sun Aug 3 2008 0:52:33
    #

Login to Send PM

kjdrga,
    I pm'ed you.

12. tp123

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Sun Aug 3 2008 1:11:21
    #

Login to Send PM

I take an ativan (tranquilizer) and an antihistamine. Ask your doc for the ativan, it will calm you down and elevate your mood. You will become dependent on it if you use it every nite like me, but if you just use it at bedtime and keep off it in the daytime its ok for most. Anyway we are all dependent on something and this is on the mild side

13. jenny29wi

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Mon Aug 4 2008 7:36:24
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm having a hard time sleeping too. I just had my first treatment 2 days ago, and found live bed bugs yesterday. The first night i was fine sleeping because I didn't think they'd be alive after the treatment! Last night I couldn't sleep in my bed at all. I would lay there for a few minutes and just picture them coming over to me and turn the light on. I slept on the couch, but didn't really get much sleep actually! I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy! It is horrible!

14. Itchy-Scratchy

Posted 11 years ago
    Mon Aug 4 2008 14:42:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Jenny, I agree. I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy. And I'm starting to think about sleeping with the light on, since I'm always turning it on during the night to check my bed. Why even turn it off?

I keep wondering what the h*ll I did in a past life to deserve this. I must have run a puppy-mill or something...

15. Itchybutdealing

Posted 11 years ago
    Mon Aug 4 2008 18:38:30
    #

Login to Send PM

It is tough at first but as the months have gone on and the bites are a bit fewer, I have gotten more at ease with sleep. Two children under the age of 3 and a glass of white wine in the evenings help quite a bit! I am so tired at that point I could probably sleep in the middle of the sidewalk.

16. BeeBee

Posted 11 years ago
    Mon Aug 4 2008 19:07:25
    #

Login to Send PM

I sleep with a very dim light on, so I can check at night. The idea of something crawling on me in the dark freaks me out (okay, it's summer in Alaska and not exactly dark but still, it's dim). But I'm a late night person. I don't usually even go to bed until about 3 a.m. So I'm going to sleep right when the beggers are waking up. Kind of funny in a way. I take a lot of naps, and this is because of my schedule (I do a lot of freelance besides my job) not the bugs. Usually I'm so tired that I don't even care about bites.

In the morning, I care very much.

I've been putting Off on my face and it prevents them from biting there. It DOESN'T keep them off me, it just keeps them off my face. Now they're getting my neck and shoulders and arms. They're persistent and will find that one place you didn't spray. But it's nice not having lumps on my face. (Just watch, one will get my face tonight as payback.)

Some nights, though, I do freak. It's a mind fu**, I think, knowing they're going to get me when I'm sleeping (sleeping!) and knowing there's not a damned thing I can do about it.

I keep trying to keep this in persepctive but somedays it's very, very difficult.

17. Joannobugs

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Sat Nov 28 2009 15:17:32
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Kjdrga:
    Since I have gotton rid of my Bed, Boxspring etc., I have been sleeping on my couch., but before I do I spray it with 91% Rubbing Alcohol, also, after my shower I also spray myself and I have been sleeping very well.
    Give it a go!

18. flabergasted

Posted 9 years ago
    Sat Nov 28 2009 16:52:54
    #

Login to Send PM

kjdrga - 1 year ago  » 
    Just when I physch myself up to sleep in my bed I back out....
    On the bright side I bought a new white white fitted sheet at walmart today (bought the cheapest they had) so I can see what I'll suspect will be there...bb's.
    Maybe with enough beer or wine I'll fall asleep and stay that way until the morning!

Self medication with a bottle of wine helped me Wedensday night before the spray after we finished the packing I was in lala land for a good four hours that was more than I had slept continuosly sine we found them the previous week .

Friday when I came home from work I grabbed my flash light and went on my Hunt there was already dead BB's behind my couch & one chair thank god it's working i felt better. So I cooked myself a nice meal opened a bottle of wine read some more of the faq's filled the fire pit took a lawn chair threw in a few bags and had a BB roast if there were any in the bags of papers etc I burned they are now in BB hell. I put clean sweat suit all the night air and burnung made me tired The only exposed skin was face, neck or hands and I slept on the couch from 2 am to 11am this morning and no bites, that the area was the . Someone asked me when I first joined and decided to the the spray route how I felt about being bait until I can now honestly say bring it on you Basta!!!!ds. I will sleep in my living room as the only food source since the say the don't like cats and the treatment package is finished.

I would'nt recommend the self medication process to often but now that I had 9 hours sleep and feel like the energiziner bunny today. You don't want to get rid of these things and then have to check into detox therapy.

19. DeathToAllBBs

Posted 9 years ago
    Sat Nov 28 2009 19:17:20
    #

Login to Send PM

I take benedryl. Helps me sleep much better and helps with any reaction to bites if I get any though I don't think I have them at home. Just at work.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,690 posts in 50,016 topics over 155 months by 21,870 of 22,352 members. Latest: paintersmelbourne, Mercy Me, mrdinosaur