Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Reader questions (do not fit into other categories)

How do you know when they're gone?

(37 posts)
  1. bugginginKY

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Jun 16 2008 14:42:33
    #

Login to Send PM

I discovered I had a problem almost one month ago. After occasionally waking up with series of itchy bites, I did a full inspection of my bed and found one live adult in my bedskirt and a few small areas of black marks in my mattress and box spring.

I immediately began decluttering my bedroom, doing the laundry/plastic bag thing, and successfully isolated my bed. I have been practicing a hardcore regimen of vacuuming and applying DE around my condo. During the cleaning out process, I found one more live one on my headboard a few of the nymphs as well. I killed all of them with rubbing alcohol and threw away the headboard.

Since then, I have found one dead bedbug on an item of clothing and one dead in my cat's basket. I have not received any more bites - nor have I seen any live bugs.

I guess I'm just wondering how we measure the success of our battle? The number of bites? Number of live ones? Number of dead ones? Number of days since we last saw signs?

Thanks!

2. bugsinaggieland

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Jun 16 2008 16:45:38
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes, I've been wondering that too. We're not quite there yet, but making good progress.

3. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Jun 16 2008 17:35:55
    #

Login to Send PM

bugging,

You measure progress this way; after every treatment (which should be repeated at approx. 10-14 day intervals) you should have fewer bites and see fewer bugs. You should not stop treatment until you have no bites and see no bed bugs. Do not be alarmed that you see bed bugs and are bitten, as this will continue until they are all gone. But they should become fewer with each treatment at 2 week intervals.

Do not assume they are completely gone (i.e. don't unpack cleaned, dried clothing) until 55 days have passed after the last bite or bug sighting. That's the number cited by Richard Cooper and I have to say, it seems like a good estimate of how long you should be totally bed bug free, before you declare them gone for good.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  4. bugginginKY

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Jun 17 2008 9:29:21
    #

Login to Send PM

It's good to have guidelines for measuring progress, thanks! And just to clarify, I have not had a PCO in due to health concerns. I have been treating the problem through cleaning and using DE and being hyper-vigilant. So far no bites in almost 4 weeks. Thanks and good luck to all!

5. lieutenantdan

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Jun 17 2008 11:50:17
    #

Login to Send PM

I do not understand Rich Cooper's 55 day statement. If we know from professionals that bed bugs could live for up to fifteen or eighteen months without a blood feed than I wonder how Rich comes up with the 55 day theory.

6. BBcoukHome

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Jun 17 2008 18:24:02
    #

Login to Send PM

I am not sure where the 55 day rule came from either but I can say that if they have access to a source of food they will generally feed every 3 to 5 days so although it is possible for them to go for up to 18 months without food they cant resist taking a meal when its available.

As such my top tip for knowing when they are gone is not finding any of the signs of an active infestation, namely fresh faecal traces and live samples. The cast skins can hang around for a long time and seem to appear for months after so they are not reliable.

If you have an infestation inspection is the only answer and I would be doing it a lot more frequently than every 55 days.

David

7. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Jun 18 2008 0:58:25
    #

Login to Send PM

Dan,

Bed bugs are not going to hide out in your home and not bite you unless they are sealed away.

David,

My understanding of the 55-days idea is that this is AFTER all bites and signs are gone. I like it because we often hear people say they weren't bitten for two weeks or four weeks, are seeing no signs of bed bugs, and so are unpacking their washed/dried clothing and going back to "normal." The idea is not that bed bugs would hang out for 55 days without biting, I think, but that many people don't notice visual signs or bites if they are fewer in number.

Anyway, I don't think there's anything scientific about the number, but I think it is helpful to wait a period even after there are no signs warranting treatment. And I am working from the premise that most PCOs do not do careful inspections. Many appear not to inspect at all, sadly.

8. lieutenantdan

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Jun 18 2008 10:23:16
    #

Login to Send PM

Nobugsonme,
    How do you know that bed bugs are not going to hide out in your home and not bite you unless they are sealed away?

Let me state again that although I have much respect for Rich Cooper I find his 55 day theory hard to acknowledge as factual. First of all you all know as well as I do about bite response and immune system response etc... Remember I did not react to bites for two months or so after my wife and dog showed extreme skin reactions and my wife had extreme swelling in her ankle twice where she could hardly stand for an hour or two, with that said I find it hard to indicate bed bugs on bites or no bites.

As far as bed bugs not biting for a period of time while a blood feed is available, who knows. Based on my talk with Dr. Kells who stated to me that 5% of an active bed bug infestation will travel far away from the host, Kells speculates that it has something to do with population density and/or the rough sex involved. My theory is that if 5% of the population travels far from the host and establishes themselves in a wall or floor or basement or attic crawl space, somewhere away far from the host than the wandering bed bugs may go dormant until the end of the dormancy period which may be taken to the extreme end of their life without a blood feed and then become active and start to search for a meal.
    We cannot forget to acknowledge the dormancy factor. We do not know why bed bugs or better yet certain bed bugs wander away from the host and why bed bugs or certain bed bugs go dormant. All of a sudden we hear a statement about 55 DAY no bites no bed bugs and we accept that as fact without an explanation of how and why. Get my drift?
    I need to hear a convincing explanation on this 55 day statement for me to accept this statement as factual.

9. Gypsy

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Jun 18 2008 11:16:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Wait ld, rough sex? Between the bugs or people? Damn, who knew these bugs were kinky

10. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Jun 18 2008 12:34:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Whoa, LtDan, I said the 55 day "rule" was not scientific. I simply find it a helpful caution against people thinking they are bed bug free immediately after bites stop.

All the experts I have read suggest that bed bugs will not stop biting if they have access to humans (or even animals).

11. lieutenantdan

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Jun 18 2008 13:48:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes.
    How can someone detect bed bugs from skin reactions when it has been stated many times by many professionals that most people may not respond to bites at all.

As far as dormancy goes. My speculation is that wandering or fleeing bed bug may wander into a place that they feel comfortable in and become dormant. We do not know why some become dormant but if the bed bug is comfortable hibernating than the immediate need for a blood feed may not exist until they wake from dormancy which may last a long time.

So do you have bed bugs if you feel as though you are not getting bites or do not see a bug? Yes, I think it is possible.

12. Gypsy

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Jun 18 2008 14:06:56
    #

Login to Send PM

Sorry for my joke but wanted to shed some light on the situation. lieutenantdan, can you please provide reference or website to information about the rough sex quote? Inquiring minds want to know more about the connection.

13. bugginginKY

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Jun 18 2008 14:24:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Gypsy, by rough sex he means forced insemination - where the male bb forcibly penetrates the female.

14. lieutenantdan

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Jun 19 2008 15:07:25
    #

Login to Send PM

Gypsy,
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traumatic_insemination.

http://www.jstor.org/pss/3592164

Maybe more than you wish to know.

[Admin note: additional speculative comments suggesting horrific and fantastic bed bug behavior which have no basis in scientific fact deleted.]

15. Gypsy

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Jun 19 2008 23:44:12
    #

Login to Send PM

Okay...I just have way too many rough sex jokes coming to mind, so I'm not commenting on the article, but thanks for sending it dan. And um, thanks for those nightmares about eggs under skin dan...I'll be soaking in hot bath for a few hours tonight. ick. But it does seem these bugs like to bite the females more...

16. lieutenantdan

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Jun 20 2008 9:45:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Gypsy,
    No the bugs do not like to bite females more. If the lady and you believe that you have bed bugs in your home than you are probably getting just as many bites but your immune system response is at the moment not responding in a way that you are showing skin reactions. At first some professionals believed one person may be giving off a different kind of pheromone or body heat than the other and that was their explanation. We now believe that that theory was just that, a theory and you are probably being bit just as much. The only other factor is that she is getting bit at work or somewhere where you do not spend time at or the bug population may exist closer to her. My speculation is that you are getting bit and you are not showing reactions as far as skin reactions but you may start to notice that your sleep is being disrupted.
    This has happened to me.

17. GerryD

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Sat Jul 12 2008 23:28:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Reading the post about 5% of bedbugs moving away from their meal (which in our case is my wife) is frightening.

We've found a single live bedbug 13 months after our first infestation which we thought we had treated 100% effectively. There have been no bites or bugs or any other evidence for one year.

Now we've found a live bedbug.

Could it be a bug who wandered off only to return one year later?

How could we ever win if this is the case?

Or is it an infestation from an entirely new source. This is so astounding since we live in a single family detached home in the suburbs. We have not traveled in a year so we've slept in our own beds 100% this year - except for my sister in law who is staying with us and had come to our house after staying in a rehab facility (for a stroke.)

If it's the old infestation come back to life, I want to sell the house after this treatment. If it's a new infestation from the rehab or some other source, it could happen again unless we find out the actual source. We can't afford for this to happen again. I give up. But I don't know where it came from. What is probable?

18. bugginginKY

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Jul 15 2008 9:01:26
    #

Login to Send PM

I am the OP on this thread, and I just wanted everyone to know that about 35-40 days into my bug-free hopefulness, I started getting bites. I discovered the box spring encasement had ripped in several places. I have since cleaned and re-sealed the box spring whilst inspecting the mattress and frame. It's been 5 nights and no new bites. I urge everyone who seems to be on the right path to be VIGILANT in maintaining their isolation and entrapment efforts. Relaxing a little is not worth the bother and discouragement of a re-emergence.

NB My bed is carefully isolated. I encourage everyone to make sure you do the same - you simply MUST have a place to feel safe. And if there is an infiltration, it is MUCH easir to trace. Best of luck to all.

19. Beatrice

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Jul 15 2008 11:31:14
    #

Login to Send PM

I had thought that the 55-60 days was based on how long it would take any eggs to hatch and become adults, assuming the bugs would seek you out for a meal in that time period.

I went a month with no bites before finding a bug in my isolated bed, still unsure where that one did come from. We had another treatment and were good from that point on. Although every skin irritation I had sent me into a panic. I kept my bed isolated and clothes bagged for the rest of the year. My housemate did not and had the same results, and also a more relaxed year.

20. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Jul 15 2008 11:39:06
    #

Login to Send PM

No -- eggs hatch in a week or two, and bed bugs bite at EVERY stage of development.

My understanding is the 55 days is not a scientific number in that sense.

I think it can be a useful number in that IF you're allergic to bed bugs, and have none during that time, you probably do not have any present.

If you're not allergic, I'm not sure it's long enough to know you're bed bug free based on not seeing bed bugs, unless you're VERY good at inspecting.

21. Beatrice

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Jul 15 2008 11:50:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Oh I don't think it's scientific, I'm sure it's just a better number then when people relax after two days of no bites.

I do know someone someone that had no reaction to the bugs and only knew they were in her room because she found evidence such as live bugs, stains and cast skins.

22. beccane

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Oct 1 2009 14:14:32
    #

Login to Send PM

NO BITES JUST BUGS. 3 weeks ago my boyfriend emerged from a night over covered in over 80 bedbug bites. He reacted so strongly that he had to go on prednisone and the bites are still pretty visible and angry.
    I however, have had no bites at all, ever, that I can tell. I finally only just today found an actual bedbug but in prior inspections didn't see any. it's not like they are crawling all over.

SO how in the world will I know if I've gotten rid of them if I can't see them and they don't bite me? I won't use my boyfriend as bait he'll end up in the hospital. If I lived on a deserted island I wouldn't care but I hate to think I can never ever have overnight guests or god forbid they hitchhike on friends bags or shoes to their own homes.

23. bbfiend

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Oct 1 2009 15:49:12
    #

Login to Send PM

I am the bait in our house. I don't response to the anaesthetic the bug injects into human when feeding, so I start to itch immediately. I also am very allergic to the bites, within minutes, the swelling is up to 1 or 2 inches and within an hour of biting, the bite swells up to 4 - 6 inches.

Sounds pretty horrific, initially, it was. However, looking on the bright side, due to such extreme reaction to the bites, I will know almost to the second the bug is biting me. This is how we managed to catch all that bit me, when we knew what the bites were.

The last one bit me on my *surprise* couch more than 4 weeks ago and the bite before that, 5 weeks. The latest episode gave me breakfast (the kahuna bite), lunch, dinner and supper. The itch came almost immediately and with that, I looked right under the back cushion on the couch and found the culprit just sitting there.

Our PCO came a couple of days afer, so now we are counting... a tad bit past 4 weeks... I don't know what to believe with regards to the 55 or 60 day count, but if we have to live with ziploc bags for the next year and a half, I can definitely live wiht that. Better that than dealing with the bugs!

24. badbadbedbugs

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Oct 6 2009 16:00:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Very interesting. We are now 39 days bite free and counting (though intriguingly, we stopped getting bites 5 days before the PCO treated, and the PCO found no evidence and still treated) which is another whole subject. But Now that we have hit this point we are really starting to feel like we can let our guard down. Maybe we can even start having visitors at our house? Playdates? We have a children's hallowe'en party planned for Oct. 24th (at which point we will be 66 days bite free, hopefully). Of course if we get any bites before then we will move the party to another location.
    Does all this seem reasonable??

25. dee

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Oct 7 2009 0:28:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello everyone I am new to this forum, and I would like to share my story. I would say about 6 weeks ago my 5yr old son was getting mysterious bumps on his body! At first I thought it could have been mosquito bites until I noticed the weird pattern. Im thinking that the bumps would go away until I started itching and then I thought whatever he had was contagious. The night before I took him to the doctor I did alittle research on the net and bedbugs were a possibility, so then I did all the steps but found nothing! The next day was the doctors visit and she told me that my son and I had scabies. I left in tears b/c the thought of a mite crawling on me. Anyways, we both did the perm treatment and followed all of her instructions. I had cried so many times at the thought of having scabies and even chatted on scabies forums! A week later I came home and decided to do my homework upstairs(which I never do) and I saw something crawl out from the closet. It was a damn bedbug! I knew because I had looked it up before but found no evidence. So then I took a flashlight around my bed and there was one waiting for me to get in the bed! I almost went crazy; this whole time Im thinking that this whole scabie thing was gone and now I have a bigger problem! Every thing was going through my mind like where did these things come from. Then I started questioning myself but we have been anywhere and noone comes here either, and then I thought my neighbors just picked up and left( broke their lease) and left their belongings in the house! Those bitches had BB!! I called my landlord on many occassions until she got the point and a week later she sent a BB sniffing dog out. It was evident that it was in my unit and my neighbors unit. He moved my bed and the sight almost made me throw up;it was adult bb, eggs, and shed skin casings along the seam! They told me that they would be back a week later but in the mean time I had to follow certain procedures; I threw out all of my clothes(because they were in my closet)all of my sons toys, books, basically almost everything. They came in and spray and put encasements on my mattress. I abandoned my room since the first sightings and have been sleeping downstairs where I have been getting bit since the first spraying.The pco guy came back yesterday and told me that I would have to sleep in the bed upstairs to draw them out, so lastnight I used myself as bait! I was scared as hell and have been since the first sighting! I was told that I might have to get rid of all my exspensive furniture( that took me forever to get) and now I just feel hopeless! I work a dead end job(no money) single mother, and failing my classes due to a tremendous amout of stress, embaressed ( the few people I did tell were like"huh, it'll get better")and have little faith right now. Anyways Ive been itchy since lastnight and I am scared to go back upstairs, but I dont know when to know that they are completley gone! I know I will probably never feel the same I feel like a prisoner in my own home and I have nowhere else to go, but thnk God that you guys can truelly understand how BB can have an affect on you! Because of thebb, I have lost so much weight, I ve lost my belongings, and I think Im close to losing my mind! I know this reply is so.. long but I have noone else to confied in and Im at a lost and scared to go to sleep! Even though I have little faith right now I would like to say God bless everyone of you and hope that you will find releif from these life destroying creatures!

26. dee

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Oct 7 2009 0:32:23
    #

Login to Send PM

sorry about the bad grammar!!

27. golders

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Oct 7 2009 1:00:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi, I am in a similar situation, and have been reading through all these threads here since 9pm last night... is now 6am! I am afraid to look at my bed properly, no way I can get back into the bed... have to ring the landlord in a few hours and let her know the situation. I know just how you feel.. I now feel so trapped with this problem. Very annoyed with myself for not figuring out earlier what the problem was/is.
    I really hope you can rid of them. I'm sure it will get better.

28. dee

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Oct 7 2009 1:48:08
    #

Login to Send PM

Golders I hope you get rid of this problem too! I'm still up and now have become glued to my laptop, because Im avoiding sleep; which isnt good being that I have to work in the morning. Right now I aam sitting up wondering why this problem is taken so lightly. Yeah, I think we all know that they say bb donot transmit disease and blah blah.. but this can really cause much psychological problems and in the long run can cause emotional breakdown! I dont drink, but I tell you one thing I dont mind a drink right now. Maybe the alcohol will knock me out being that I cant sike myself into sleeping. I live in N.C. and the pco guy said that pesticides differ from each state. He also said that N.C. has strict laws and that the pesticides here arent that strong. I vote to bring DDT back!! It might do some damage but atleast we can sleep! Just tryin to bring some kinda humor! ok...maybe not. Anyways, I have no clothes and I have been wearing the samething for a couple of days now. I wonder do people really notice? I know one thing I wont be accepting any hand me downs! I just really hope one day "soon" that this will be over. I dont know how much more fight I have left in me...

29. 1aweekinlouKY

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Oct 7 2009 12:12:13
    #

Login to Send PM

dee - 10 hours ago  » 
    Golders I hope you get rid of this problem too! I'm still up and now have become glued to my laptop, because Im avoiding sleep; which isnt good being that I have to work in the morning. Right now I aam sitting up wondering why this problem is taken so lightly. Yeah, I think we all know that they say bb donot transmit disease and blah blah.. but this can really cause much psychological problems and in the long run can cause emotional breakdown! I dont drink, but I tell you one thing I dont mind a drink right now. Maybe the alcohol will knock me out being that I cant sike myself into sleeping. I live in N.C. and the pco guy said that pesticides differ from each state. He also said that N.C. has strict laws and that the pesticides here arent that strong. I vote to bring DDT back!! It might do some damage but atleast we can sleep! Just tryin to bring some kinda humor! ok...maybe not. Anyways, I have no clothes and I have been wearing the samething for a couple of days now. I wonder do people really notice? I know one thing I wont be accepting any hand me downs! I just really hope one day "soon" that this will be over. I dont know how much more fight I have left in me...

You will muster the fight within. I am on week 9. I am unemployed, spent last $400 on PCO, am now self treating with MotherEarthD (DE) mixed with Tempo Dust. I also have sprayed with Demand CS around baseboards, caulked, painted, and thrown out my NEW furniture, all pictures and sealed the holes. You will find the fight--do not let these bugs take over your life like they did mine. I still cry every day, but I am determined to win. I could not afford bed bug proof encasements, so I bought less expensive ones ($25 EACH) for 2 mattresses and boxsprings and used vaseline to seal the zipper and then duct tape. I found spot on my pillow this am - so discourged but tell myself - that was your last meal dude - you must have crawled through poision to get to me - I HOPE YOU DIE and the sooner the better.

30. dee

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Oct 7 2009 15:04:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Im trying my best to stay sane. I just got off from work, and I am tired as hell! I guess staying up at night trying to avoid the critters isnt a good idea, because I know that when I do fall asleep they are coming for me! Right now its more of a mental thing; every speck is a bb and I even watch the ceiling to see if I see one. I havent seen any since the sprayings, but it is evident that they are still here; and people think that roaches are bad! At least they run away from you! Im wondering why landlords just wont pay for the heating treatment. I heard its more effective than the pesticides; it must be really expensive. Where do you get the earth dust from? Is it expensive?

31. computersrule

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed May 18 2011 21:57:42
    #

Login to Send PM

OK, so yesterday i found out i had a major infestation in my room, thankfully only my room though. We found several colonies and sprayed the area with some home remedies we found online... we also got the areas nearby they were moving to.. how do I know that we got all the bed bugs?

32. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed May 18 2011 22:42:24
    #

Login to Send PM

computersrule - 38 minutes ago  » 
    OK, so yesterday i found out i had a major infestation in my room, thankfully only my room though. We found several colonies and sprayed the area with some home remedies we found online... we also got the areas nearby they were moving to.. how do I know that we got all the bed bugs?

Welcome, CR. You'll know when you inspect thoroughly and no longer see fresh signs of them, i.e., no bugs, eggs, nymphs, shells, new fecal traces. Some experts say that you can call "all clear" when about 2 months have passed.

You can empower yourself while you fight or wait by reading our helpful FAQ and a good comprehensive guide, like this one from our Resources page.

Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night...
    - Psalms 91:5-7

(Not an pro)
  33. bedbugphobia

Posted 1 year ago
    Thu Feb 28 2013 19:49:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Im in the same situation, bitten twice (a month apart) found them in my bed, believe they were in my sofa. Threw everything out. I've had two PCO treatment, put DE down daily, vacuum like a crazy person and hope they are gone. Got the mattress encased and passive monitoring on the legs. I can't sleep, I cry everyday. I'll track the days, but I'm not sure anything will ever be normal. i own the apartment so I cant just pick up and go.

how do you cope with the mental health problems? I'm trying not be a depressed anxious mess around my kid, but its so hard. thank god he hasn't been bit, his room is clear, and i want it to stay that way.

ive never seen eggs or nymphs, but i know that doesn't mean anything.

how do you get through the psychological stress?

34. Carson_rar

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Fri Mar 1 2013 8:30:23
    #

Login to Send PM

my issue is i don't know what is a bit and what is not. any bump i see looks like a bite to me. it has been 4 mo. and no live bug. i think i am ok saying there are no mark on my bed or skin that i have found and i just put in a passive, but how do i know 55 days. when every week or 2 i think i see new bite??

35. mominnc

newbite

Posted 11 months ago
    Fri Nov 8 2013 11:35:19
    #

Login to Send PM

Carson_rar this is the problem that I have, too. I don't know if my bites are "real" or not. I'd love to say I will think they are gone after 60 days of no evidence, but stories like a previous poster who found a live bug after 13 months scare me. I don't know at what point I will feel safe.

36. anxietyridden77

newbite

Posted 11 months ago
    Mon Nov 11 2013 11:33:19
    #

Login to Send PM

From my personal experience I think it's foolish at any point to just assume they're gone at an arbitrary cut off date. I seriously can't fathom how I still am getting bites but I am, and our experience started in July in a different apartment.

I thought they were gone three separate times now, the bites I get are spaced out by a month's time. Got bit in July the first time, the second and final PCO treatment in my old apartment was August 20th, 2013. Found one dead bed bug, neighbor had them and so we had the run off from his bomb attempt. Nothing crazy. Dried all my clothes, been living out of tupperware/bags that were in the kitchen.

The second time we got bit was on a trip in Maine, assumed that we brought some with us in our bags. I had my car treated after finding faecal in it. That was on October 1st.

I moved October 31st. I inspected every CD case, DVD case, book, all the coats and clothes from rooms that weren't even infested. I wrapped the boxes in plastic. The box spring didn't even make it into the new apartment: it wouldn't fit. I was actually relieved about that.

Here we are in a new place for a week. Just unpacked all our clothes and put them into the closet and the dresser. They were placed on the bed as we were organizing them just yesterday. Today a bite develops on my arm this afternoon. Coincidence? At this point I'm having a hard time believing it is. I placed an active monitor and a passive monitor, time will tell if I have to go through this all again. I undoubtedly will. I guess somehow they were in the dried clothes tupperwares, its possible for sure maybe they were stuck in there and just became free as we unpacked.

So I guess all I'm saying is, just deciding you're done with it is a bad idea all around. Anyone who has gone through this knows how awful it is, time consuming, and anxiety producing. I was trying to lead a normal life assuming that I had won the battle and I gave too early. At some point you have to resume normal life, but make sure you have monitors in place because it's all you can really do. My neighbor got rid of his infestation in 2 treatments and he actually had them. I still have them and I treated my apartment, car, and moved. It's just a different case for everyone.

37. BreakingBug

newbite

Posted 7 months ago
    Sat Mar 15 2014 15:25:52
    #

Login to Send PM

It's been 4.5 months since our last treatment. We weren't happy with our exterminator, who finally admitted they aren't up to speed on what they are calling an epidemic here in Los Angeles. The company manager said they weren't prepared to treat a single family home, that their protocols and chemicals are basically designed to treat apartments and buildings with mulitple residents. He said it's RARE to find BB in a single family home. Of course our home is an all wood house. All precautions mentioned on this forum have been followed. We bagged everything up, encased mattresses, washed and heated constantly and post PCO treatment, took matters into our own hands and spread DE, albeit a bit too liberally, on the floors and crevices of the room we felt was the source of the infestation. However, there is a prequel to this story. Before we knew we had beg bugs, we thought we had fleas and mites and set off bomb after bomb, and if you're read any of our other posts, you know our PCO never suggested BB, he took us at our word that we had fleas and our first treatment was for fleas and spiders.
    My roommate considers himself confident and knowledgable about chemistry and after reading up on DIY monitors, has been making them with dry ice, coleman thermal jugs, plastic bowls and talc.
    So far, the last two months, no bugs. We took out two of the wood bed frames that were infested and my roommate's bed had bugs, but he's one of those who doesn't show signs of bites and was oblivious. We don't know the source of the original infestation, but think maybe the moving truck I used was infested…
    So, the reason for my post today is, I'm worried we have a lot of bugs who moved deep into crevices in other rooms to get away from the bombs, as well as the 5% who wander. We found bugs in a couple of my moving boxes that had been stacked in our breakfast room, a few rooms away from our bedrooms, for example.
    With a couple of months gone without sightings, signs, bites, and nothing in the DIY monitors, we are starting to feel a bit less stressed and I've been opening up the garbage bags to see what's in them, and removing a few things as I find I need them. Today, I went through a bag of stuff that had been in a wood armoire. This armoire had been infected and treated three times. I've stored the stuff in bags inside. Today, I found a dead bed bug in a plastic drawer, that was in a garbage bag, inside this armoire. I immediately went on this forum and have been reading posts about folks finding bugs a year or more after their infestation. I studied it with a magnifying glass to make sure the legs weren't moving, put the drawer in bright light to see if the bug would "wake up" from dormancy.
    So far the bug hasn't moved, even though by tilting the drawer, it slides around.
    Advice, input, suggestions are so welcome at this point.
    We're considering coating the entire house, crevices, corners, door jams, molding, etc, with DE one final time as we move stuff around.
    I know anything is possible, and frankly, after reading some of these posts, am convinced there is at least one BB hiding in our house.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.