How do you know when it's over?

(4 posts)
  1. blissful323

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Sat Oct 7 2017 21:58:00
    #

Login to Send PM

How do you know when you're truly done with your fight with bed bugs? It's been about a month and a half since I treated (I saw one live bug less than a week after that - I treated again, and covered everything in DE again), and no one has gotten any bites in that time. We are all VERY reactive to bites.

I never had a huge infestation - it seemed to be just my couch. Obviously I can't know for 100% sure, but it seemed I somehow had a pregnant female hitchhiker (who I did see and kill over the summer - but didn't realize was a bed bug until I saw two nymphs). I only ever saw bugs on the couch - the one adult, 3 weeks later a 1st instar nymph, 2 weeks later a 2nd instar nymph, and then after I treated, 2 dead 3rd instar nymps, and finally a few days after treatment one live 3rd instar nymph. I never found any signs of bed bugs - and still haven't. I keep a good coat of DE around and under my couch (and all my furniture), and even put a good coat in all the cracks and crevices, even though it means we get a bit of it on our clothes for a day or two! Haha. I know better than to assume we are in the clear... but after a month and a half, I'm starting to sleep better, and have definitely been thinking that I caught it early enough, and that I was lucky enough to keep it isolated to the couch.

How long after treatment can you safely consider yourself bed bug free? I know they can go a year without feeding... but if I both treated, and covered their home in DE, can I assume they had to die off? Or do I need to keep a coat of DE around for a year?

2. mp7ski

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Sat Oct 7 2017 22:25:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Fyi, they've been known to live 18 months without feeding...

I am not an expert, any advice I give should be considered as amateur advice and not taken as fact. I mean well with all my posts and try to give back. If you plan on using any of my advice, I suggest doing research into said advice to make sure it is in your best interest.
    Study on Thermal Death Points(pages 18-29 of pdf) : http://www.propanecouncil.org/uploadedFiles/Council/Research_and_Development/REP_12221%20Efficacy%20of%20Heat%20on%20Bed%20Bugs.pdf
    Study on Cimexa: http://www.pctonline.com/article/pct0814-silica-gel-research-bed-bugs/
  3. blissful323

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Sun Oct 8 2017 0:45:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Well okay. A year, 18 months, whatever. Is that really how long everyone holds their breath for after treatment? What I had read made it seem like bed bugs going a year without feeding was possible, but not necessarily likely. Maybe people on here have had a different experience, and it's pretty common for them to lay dormant for a long time? If my theory is right, if there are any bugs left, they are still nymphs, and would need to feed to become adults, anyway. I definitely killed 5 nymphs, and what I'm assuming was the adult hitchhiker who started my infestation. So how many eggs could she have actually laid, if there were no males here for her to reproduce with? (Obviously I don't know this for sure, but it seems to be most likely given the fact that only one piece of furniture was affected, and that I found one adult, and then weeks later found nymphs, but never adults, and never had the tell-take signs of an investation... and even after treatment only found carcasses of nymphs).

By the way, I am fully aware having an expert come in would have been the best choice, but that was not in the cards at the time, and still isn't, unfortunately. If I ever have a windfall, they will be my first phone call!

4. blissful323

newbite

Posted 3 days ago
    Fri Oct 20 2017 23:03:55
    #

Login to Send PM

Just a bump, hoping someone has some input! 😊

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

265,621 posts in 43,065 topics over 129 months by 18,896 of 19,457 members. Latest: Bugtimore, Paranoid34, terrifieddd