Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug bites, skin, etc.

how do you keep from getting bit?

(6 posts)
  1. skippercollector

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Jan 6 2010 16:27:54
    #

Login to Send PM

How do you keep from getting bit in the first place? I've found hundreds of articles on ways to prevent bed bugs, and ways to get rid of them, but almost zilch on how to keep from getting bitten in the first place. This is what I am wearing to bed: an oversized hooded sweatshirt with stretchy wrists and a waistband, pajama bottoms or stretch pants, knee high socks and socks on my hands. Since the hood is big I allow it to hang over my face in bed. I used to wear gloves to bed, but since they only reached to my wrists, I switched to socks for my hands.
    I used to burrow under a lot of covers when I slept, but because I now wear so much clothing to bed I don't really need blankets, just a sheet.
    This is what I would really love to find: a footed, hooted, loose-fitting one-piece zippered jumpsuit, preferably lightweight cotton or knit. Is such a thing made in larger women's sizes?
    On the other hand, where can I buy a hazmat suit?! I'd love to wear one to bed!

2. DieDieDie

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Jan 6 2010 17:05:03
    #

Login to Send PM

skipper...

You may want to read the threads on isolating your bed. I'm sure the more knowledgeable will chime in with cautions such as if they can't bite you at night, they'll try to find another way... such as finding a sofa or chair you use during the day and biting you there therefore causing another infestation in the sofa etc... so consider your situation and whether or not you really want them to stop biting.

I'm in a situation where I have an incompetent/unwilling/clueless apartment manager and I just want them to stop biting long enough for me to get the heck outta here. I have a thermal treatment on the moving van scheduled so any stowaways will, hopefully, die die die before they get to the new apartment. In the meantime I have (1) moved the bed away from the wall (2) encased the mattress (3) put four bed posts in bowls of water & murphy's wood oil soap (4) slathered mid beam posts with vaseline (5) wash sheets & blankets in hot water once a week and (6) spray bedframe with bedlam once a week. It's a huge pain in the ***, but I haven't received a bite in over 3 weeks <knocks on wood>...

If I was planning on staying here for any length of time, I would do something else because this really is NOT treating the problem. It's just protecting me from the bugs that are in the building and have wandered into my unit.

Also... a few months ago I talked to a doctor about the bites and receive a prescription for a hydrocortisone cream. When I do receive a bite, the cream clears it up in about 2 days, instead of staying itchy for 2 weeks.

3. wchicago

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Jan 6 2010 18:13:56
    #

Login to Send PM

skipper

first, i agree with diediedie -isolate your bed and your problems should cease

that said, if you are serious about wanting a jumpsuit with an integrated hood -here ya go
    http://www.disposable-garments.com/tyvek_jumpsuits.html -- click on sizing info and you can find your size by height and weight. they're $5 each and disposable

4. BedBugGuru

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Jan 7 2010 0:24:34
    #

Login to Send PM

The easiest way to stop the biting is to isolate your bed away from the wall and the floor. You also want to get complete mattress encasements on your mattress and box springs so that you will trap the bed bugs inside the mattress and box springs. It would actually be better to get a new mattress if it is infested, but you still want to get a mattress encasement on your new mattress in case you don't kill all the bed bugs.

5. backpacker

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Jan 7 2010 2:23:16
    #

Login to Send PM

Neem oil. This stops them from biting you and stops previous bites from itching (as much).....but nothing else in actually resolving the issue.

6. flabergasted

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Jan 7 2010 3:18:03
    #

Login to Send PM

wchicago - 8 hours ago  » 
    skipper
    first, i agree with diediedie -isolate your bed and your problems should cease
    that said, if you are serious about wanting a jumpsuit with an integrated hood -here ya go
    http://www.disposable-garments.com/tyvek_jumpsuits.html -- click on sizing info and you can find your size by height and weight. they're $5 each and disposable

wchicago - this has hood but save the $5. Tyvec is a material used as a moisture barrier on the exterior of wood frames building so moisture can escape but it also inhibits peneatration of moisture and aids with the insulation properties of a home. These suits are used are during asbestos removal becasue the person wearing them can sweat and not cook; it stops in paticle pentration. As soon as the guys leave the contained area they have to take it off and put it in a special disposal bag and put a new one on before re-entering. they also wear a full facial gas mask with dual filters. I would isolate the bed and wear my normal jammies the without the mask they'll get your face anyways. We all know these things can get in anywhere.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.