Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Reader questions (do not fit into other categories)

how do you get rid of infested furniture?

(7 posts)
  1. staringatabug

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Feb 26 2010 23:44:13
    #

Login to Send PM

I need suggestions as to how to get rid of furniture that I believe is infested and/or was sprayed. I paid so much money to have my sofas removed and trashed, I can't spend that again. I have a big dresser I was to get rid of, my bed plus frame, and my nightstands... I don't think I can leave that curbside.... Any suggestions would be great! Thanks.

2. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat Feb 27 2010 0:51:47
    #

Login to Send PM

Staring: Are you concerned regarding spreading bugs in your building or do you want to keep others from scavenging? If the former, it's been suggested to use pallett wrap (heavy duty "Saran Wrap" sold in office and moving supplies. If to keep people from scavenging, you could damage it or mark it up with felt tip or paint marker. Perhaps you can dust it with DE as a further precaution. Bear in mind, however, that your first concern should be you and that you can only go so far to influence other peoples behavior. 

Finally, consider why you're throwing things away? Are they no longer needed? Are they in your way? if you need them, could you seal, paint, steam or spray them (or see the thread titled WIN WIN WIN for how one member treated)? I get the impression that some people make mental bargains with the gods that they will sacrifice furnture and be rewarded with a life free of bedbugs. Will it help you to replace your items if fresh bugs arrive via the neighbors, or worse, via the new goods, as some forum members claim happened to them. 

I hope that my response helped, not confused you. Best of luck.    

Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night; nor for the arrow that flieth by day; Nor for the pestilence that walketh in darkness; nor for the destruction that wasteth at noonday. A thousand shall fall at thy side, and ten thousand at thy right hand; but it shall not come nigh thee.
    - Psalms 91:5-7

(Not an pro)
  3. staringatabug

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat Feb 27 2010 0:56:54
    #

Login to Send PM

it's a great question. I feel like if I get rid of this very old and heavy 1980's Ethan Allen furniture that my husband inherited (but neither of us really wanted) then the bb will go away. I just want everything out. I want two things in every room if that makes sense. I'm scared to leave it curb side because this is a heavy dresser, what if it falls down? I would throw away the drawers so no one would take it. I'm not donating it knowing there could be an egg or something...

I am more frustrated that I can't find their harborage.... I want to see the shells/castings... I've seen the fecal matter on my bed and on the sofas i got rid of...but where is all the real evidence?

4. staringatabug

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat Feb 27 2010 0:58:37
    #

Login to Send PM

Of course I have caught a total of three live bugs, but where are their castings? their eggs?

5. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat Feb 27 2010 1:09:37
    #

Login to Send PM

Ok, I get it. Perhaps you could put it out in a knocked over position (of course some smart as could right it, LOL). could you screw it apart? Could you keep
    these and toss something crappier and lighter? As to where the bugs are, have you checked the same furniture? Screw holes? Inside the box spring? Baseboards? Picture frames? Perhaps the bugs have migrated from your bed area while the poop is left behind? Perhaps that's not BB poop? I dunno, guess that's why BB is such a pain. Have you reviewed the practice guides (like Doggett's or the U of MN) on the Resource page? There was a great series on YouTube a while back with entomologist "Austin Frishman" inspecting a room systematically? Again, hope this helps.

6. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat Feb 27 2010 11:19:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

I wrote a guide to safe disposal of infected items here:

http://www.bedbugbeware.com/disposalinfo.html

It should be what you are looking for.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bedbug infestations in domestic and commercial settings. The patent numbers are GB2463953 and GB2470307.
  7. staringatabug

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat Feb 27 2010 16:46:33
    #

Login to Send PM

bed-bugscouk - 5 hours ago  » 
    Hi,
    I wrote a guide to safe disposal of infected items here:
    http://www.bedbugbeware.com/disposalinfo.html
    It should be what you are looking for.
    David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

Thank you for the valuable information. I'm just not sure who would pick up such heavy furniture... would the city trash pick it up curbside?

Also, David... the bites have decreased but I have yet to find a dead bug, only three live ones since we've had 4 pco treatments. The 5th one is in a few days. I tried the blowdryer on the bed frame as far as it could reach (which was not far) to no avail. We have very old fashioned double hung wooden windows... would they harbor in such a place? We also have a wooden closet... Our building is quite old.

Thank you so much for your response. This site has been a place of solice for me as I'v been reading it since December.

staring

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

191,190 posts in 29,412 topics over 90 months by 12,685 of 19,944 members. Latest: glinsar, WhoCares2014, hbastion