Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Psychological and Health problems caused by bed bugs (besides bites)

How do you get rid of head bugs?

(8 posts)
  1. ithoughtlicewerebad

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Tue Oct 3 2017 18:44:45
    #

Login to Send PM

I am having a really, really hard time getting past BBs. I have read all the articles recommended by David Caine. His articles and posts are so helpful, and still I have such paranoia. Every bite and mark sends me into a complete fit. Even though I am outside all the time and I know we still have mosquitos here. The weather is cooling off a lot, however, so not as the mosquitos aren't as bad these days, which makes me worry even more about every bump.

I am trying to be so careful about checking to make sure they are really gone. I have a hard time believing it's true, as since this started, every time we think we're clear, something pops up. I freak out over every tear in the encasements, and I duct tape every spot I find that might be a tear. Pretty soon, our entire bed will be covered in duct tape. I know not everyone recommends encasements, but our PCO swears by them and put them on after first treatment and never opened them again. So it is very likely he missed a BB and there are some living in the encasement. And that freaks me out. I want to get rid of the mattress and box spring, but I'm so afraid to move them out of my room and risk a tear in the encasement and spreading the bugs.

I don't know how to get past this and get back to normal. We are still living out of ziplock bags in the basement, though I am not as hyper about keeping them sealed these days. I just don't want clean clothes in the bedrooms. It's driving my family crazy. I still use plastic bags to carry laundry to the washer and dryer, and still run everything for an extra 30 minutes on hot. I check the beds almost every day. I freak out if my kids want to play or study in their rooms. They don't understand it. And frankly, I know I'm going over the top, but I don't know how to stop.

My husband travels for business and it makes me so worried, as he isn't as vigilant as me about checking rooms, or dealing with his things when he gets back. It makes me crazy.

I'm losing sleep. This is not me. I can't remember ever feeling this way about anything. And then I get angry with myself as there is so much true suffering in the world, and I am so blessed in so many other ways. It feels selfish to be so concerned with BBs. But I'm worn out and exhausted, and I guess I'm just asking for a pep talk. How do I move on? How do I know it's all going to be OK?

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Tue Oct 3 2017 19:48:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Have you considered talking to a therapist about this? Others here have found it useful for exactly this purpose.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. ithoughtlicewerebad

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Tue Oct 3 2017 21:12:25
    #

Login to Send PM

I have. But I also have this terrible fear of telling anyone about this. I fear the stigma of having BBs, even from a therapist. I don't even know where to begin to find one, either. But yes, my husband kind of thinks this, too.

4. Myworstnightmare

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Tue Oct 3 2017 21:29:56
    #

Login to Send PM

I've been seeing a therapist about this issue for six weeks. Before my first session I was worried when I told her the source of my anxiety that she would refuse to treat me! But instead of kicking me out she said wow you are my third patient to need help through this. So I would also encourage you to find someone to talk to. It does help. I have only been bug free 21 days but I also had a negative canine inspection. Everyone thinks I should move on but I haven't been able to. I haven't even put my girls back in their room (their room had the bugs. Mine did not. They were not bit anymore after we switched)

I also started meds (prescribed by my primary care dr after a call from my therapist) because my behavior constantly checking everyone's skin. Constant thinking about bugs what if they are here what if they are there are they really gone. Obsessive really. So I'm on a low dose of an anti anxiety medicine. I hope to not have to take it for long but right now I need all the help I can get.

I wish you the best in recovering from this awful experience.

5. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Wed Oct 4 2017 19:41:25
    #

Login to Send PM

ithoughtlicewerebad - 22 hours ago  » 
    I have. But I also have this terrible fear of telling anyone about this. I fear the stigma of having BBs, even from a therapist. I don't even know where to begin to find one, either. But yes, my husband kind of thinks this, too.

Remember (and do mention to the prospective therapist) that there's zero evidence you have bed bugs right now. No need to feel stigma. (I'm not saying there should be stigma with active cases, either, though in those cases some preventive measures may be prudent.)

This is a good place to find a therapist:
    https://therapists.psychologytoday.com/rms/

You can search for therapists who take certain insurance plans or have sliding scale fees, are in a certain area, and use certain modalities (Cognitive Behavioral Therapy and Acceptance and Commitment Therapy are two which might be helpful, but there are many other types and I am not an expert on this either!)

There's a chance you may not like the first one you try so pick a couple and call to interview them. Or go to one and promise that if you aren't comfortable, don't gel with them, you will try another.

6. ithoughtlicewerebad

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Wed Oct 4 2017 23:49:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you, this is all good advice.

I wish there were a more definitive way to know they were gone. I like our PCO and he uses the interceptors on the feet of the beds, so I'm not using David Caine's passive monitors. The passive monitors seem to be what most people rely on for proof. I think our PCO has done a good job getting us from where we were, to where we are, so I trust him. He thinks we should always have the interceptors on the beds because of my husband's field of work and the risk it brings. I fear taking them off, and having to have him come back, and then having him telling us he can't help because we didn't follow his suggested protocol. I also hate having those interceptors on the beds. it's like a constant reminder. And they are ugly. And when we do get comfortable having people over, I don't want them to walk by a room and see them.

I've considered having a dog in - but since we aren't guaranteed that the box spring is 100% clear - they are just encased - I don't think a dog would help. Though I guess it could rule out bugs in all other rooms.

I'm a hot mess. I will look into the therapist. Thank you.

7. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Thu Oct 5 2017 8:59:35
    #

Login to Send PM

A bed bug dog may make you feel better, but please make sure you hire a reputable team and one where the handler visually verifies dog alerts per our FAQ on bed bug dogs. Alerts without visual verification will needlessly heighten your problem of uncertainty.

8. ithoughtlicewerebad

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Sun Oct 8 2017 7:52:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Good point, nobugsonme. I really think the dog wouldn't work in our room, because of our encased box spring. Probably not worth the money and effort.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

265,621 posts in 43,065 topics over 129 months by 18,896 of 19,457 members. Latest: Bugtimore, Paranoid34, terrifieddd