Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Tales of Bed Bug Woe

how do I send samples to an entomologist?

(14 posts)
  1. minibughater

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Oct 31 2007 12:30:46
    #

Login to Send PM

So people probably know my situation of having pantry bugs in the bedroom and not the pantry. how do I send samples to an entomologist and how do I find one? I read somewhere you should send some samples for them to ID the bug.
    Where do I start? I live in New Jersey. thanks in advance

2. parakeets

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Oct 31 2007 14:22:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Harvard (there is a link to their website from this blog) will identify a sample for $20. Rutgers Agricultural Experment Station will evaluate a sample for in-state residents for $40. (Interesting--a report of theirs said "Arthorpod identification increased in 2006 from 2006. Bedbugs have become a popular attraction" and these counts are from people, hundreds of them, who have submitted bedbugs at $40 a pop for evaluation!) I think Bugalina said in Long Island you can contact your county extension society and pay one flat fee for a year's worth of insect identification. There's an entomologist who posts here who also will identify bedbugs for us and I'll send you his name in a pm.

3. parakeets

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Oct 31 2007 14:29:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Sorry for the typos. Should have read: "Arthropod identification increased in 2006 from 2005."

4. minibughater

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Oct 31 2007 14:38:37
    #

Login to Send PM

o man! I didn't know they charged. hahha. thank you

5. pleasehelp

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Oct 31 2007 14:55:08
    #

Login to Send PM

Try your county extension service. Ours does it for free (in VA).

6. minibughater

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Oct 31 2007 15:31:32
    #

Login to Send PM

thank you. I just emailed them to find out if they do accept.

7. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Oct 31 2007 20:15:06
    #

Login to Send PM

Hey Keets,
    Can you paste in a link to the Rutgers info? I searched on their site but did not easily come upon it.
    Thanks!

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  8. nomorebugs

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Oct 31 2007 20:29:11
    #

Login to Send PM

It may be better (faster) for a PCO to look at it. Many will charge you for it. There might be one or two that will do a free inspection and they can verify what your pest is. BBs are a nightmare, so perhaps it's best to spend the money now before it gets more time consuming and costly.

Finding supplies in a real brick and mortar store is difficult. The internet is great, prices are good, but it will take time in shipping. Time is not on your side.

9. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Oct 31 2007 23:13:51
    #

Login to Send PM

This is true!

10. parakeets

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Nov 1 2007 10:24:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Nobugs:
    Here’s the link to the pamphlet about the insect diagnostic services at Rutgers. The first page is all about plants so go to the second page to see the prices for insect identification.
    njaes.rutgers.edu/plantdiagnosticlab/pdl-2006.pdf

Here’s the report from Rutgers that has that marvelous line “Bedbugs have become a popular attraction.” Search for “bedbug” in the pdf below and you’ll find that quote and information about arthropod identification increasing.
    njaes.rutgers.edu/services/2006-pdl-stl-ar.pdf

11. minibughater

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Nov 1 2007 10:37:36
    #

Login to Send PM

cool thanks for the info parakeets. now do you know if all they do is tell you what bug it is? do they explain things to you?

12. parakeets

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Nov 1 2007 11:30:54
    #

Login to Send PM

I didn't send any samples to them, but I would not be surprised if all you get for your $40 is an identification of the insect and just maybe a fact sheet which you could probably get on the web. If any of your insect samples are intact, with antenna, exoskeleton, legs, etc., I agree with Nobugs that a PCO could identify them. Heck, even I can identify bedbugs! But if you only have parts of bugs, or want to know if you have bat bugs versus bed bugs, you'll most likely need a service like this or an entomologist. And sadly, if you have even one bug that is a bedbug, it really doesn't matter what all the other bug parts might happen to be (carpet beetles, larvae, etc.) because YOU HAVE BEDBUGS.

13. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Nov 1 2007 15:42:36
    #

Login to Send PM

And to follow on from Keets, even if you find 5,000 carpet beetles, spider beetles, drain flies, lathridids, and book lice, and NO bed bugs, you may STILL have bed bugs.

Commonly people will get back a report from a PCO or ento that their sample is not bed bugs. Well, you can see lots of bugs if you are looking. But you may not see the bed bugs (easily or right away or at all in some cases).

And a PCO may look at your carpet beetles and write you off as a nervous person who is afraid of bugs, when in fact, you have some elusive bed bugs. If this happens, find another PCO.

14. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Nov 1 2007 15:44:29
    #

Login to Send PM

ps Keets -- thanks for the links!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.