Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

How Do I Know If Bedbugs Are Gone? (LOSING MY MIND)

(2 posts)
  1. 100PercentTerrified

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Oct 1 2014 23:04:17
    #

Login to Send PM

I live in NYC and have been getting bug bites possibly since July. I know that mosquitoes occasionally found their way into my place but after waking up with with multiple itchy welts every morning (I'm extremely allergic) I began to panic. Since I getting my first bite, I frequently flipped my mattress (which already had a bedbug-proof encasement on it) and searched all the seams in and around my bed, finding absolutely no signs of BBs. Neither my boyfriend, friends or roommate ever got a single bite. Come early September I was waking up with 7+ new bites every morning. I moved all my furniture away from the walls, and a day later found one unfed adult BB crawling over the edge of my bed. I picked it up with a piece of scotch tape, closed it in a jar and called my landlord.
    I immediately packed all my things in plastic bags, returned to my parents house and immediately threw everything, my backpacks, shoes and clothes I had on at my apartment in the drier to prevent spreading whatever degree of infestation I had.
    The Landlord had a POC come and spray twice in a two week period. I was unable to be there when the treatments were done, but I don't know if it was done properly. My roommate and I were never instructed to move our furniture away from the walls (although I did in my room), and I don't think he tried to find the source since I had jarred the one live bug I found. There is exposed brick in both bedrooms where I suspect they were hiding in the cracks, but only the baseboards in MY room appear to be treated at all. I returned to check for dead bugs, and only found two deceased roly-polies.
    I'm still at my parents house, well over an hour away from school and work and because of the bugs, not only have I lost sleep, I'm losing my mind. My roommate is back at the apartment, but I don't know how to tell if the bugs are gone for sure without coming back to be live bait (which I am in no way mentally capable or willing to do.)
    Is there some definitive way to find out? Would a dry-ice trap be effective enough to coax out whatever parasites that might still be hiding?
    Any advice helps, I'm just looking to get back to a bug-anxiety free life.

2. AbsolutelyFreaking

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Oct 2 2014 10:12:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi 100PT

If you are wanting to monitor an uninhabited room, then I would definitely go with an active monitor instead of a passive/non-active monitor.

You could go with the DIY CO2 monitors if you like (I think there are a couple of different kinds you can make. I have never tried one so I can't advise on any) . . . but to give you options, there is an active CO2 monitor that runs for 5 to 7 days:

http://www.usbedbugs.com/Bedbug-Beacon-CO2-Active-Monitor_p_27.html

Also, there is a new product that sells the traps and lure separately . . . however, as it's new, there are no reviews on here yet regarding how good it works . . . or if it works at all (and in your case, I would definitely use it with the lure):

http://www.geotechsupply.com/senscivolcano-12pk.aspx

Just trying to give you some options and let you know that there are tools out there that can help.

Good Luck!

Abs

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

269,371 posts in 43,830 topics over 132 months by 19,193 of 19,806 members. Latest: cucucajube, Mitchell3845, BeasleyCMS