Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed Bug Treatment

How Do I get the bedbugs out of my cloth recliner and sofa?

(9 posts)
  1. Bed_Buggin_In_Boston

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Nov 6 2007 7:05:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello I am a newbie,

Been reading through the site and have got helpgul information. So I successfully got the bed bugs out of my bed room by doing some seep intense cleaning and doing the bed covering thing. But I have one more problem.

How in the world do I get them out of my new recliner? and my sofa? My recliner is brand new. My sofa if I cannot get them out I am willing to throw away had for 4 years nows, but teh recliner I don’t want to part with. Would you igf you paid $600.00 I cannot leave the furniture out in the sun to kill them or freeze the furniture. Has anyone had any success stories regarding cloth fruniture? PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE I NEED HELP!

I read through the blogs to try to find answers but couldn’t find the answer I exactly needed.

Thanks fo everyones help,

Pooey

2. pleasehelp

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Nov 6 2007 10:08:15
    #

Login to Send PM

I just sealed my recliner into a huge plastic bag and won't use it for 18 months. The general consensus here is that the bbs will starve to death in that time. A pco could treat it with poisons, as well. Or maybe steam???? But I don't see how the steam could penetrate every part of the recliner. Good luck.

3. Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Nov 6 2007 14:04:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Furniture can be treated by PCOs with pesticides (sprays and dusts), so for most items there is no need to a) throw it out, or b) store it for 18 months.

Some PCOs (or bedbug sufferers) also use steam. It has to be the driest possible steam application and care must be taken to dry the item thoroughly and not end up with mold. As pleasehelp says, it's difficult to know if steam has penetrated all hiding places.

Keep in mind that bedbugs will emerge from their hiding places in search of a meal (you) and will cross properly applied pesticides. And die. So, even if bedbugs are hiding in difficult places, the likeliest scenario is that, over a period of time and with repeated treatments, the infestation can still be eradicated with conventional treatment.

Consult your PCO. Very heavily infested items may not be salvageable, but a PCO should instruct you on what to do with your furniture.

Finally, while you may have successfully cleaned out bedbugs from your bedroom, for now, they may return, from hidden, unhatched eggs you may have missed. So, don't be surprised if that happens. Get a knowledgeable PCO into your place asap and don't rely on your cleaning efforts to completely rid yourself of bedbugs. In most cases, it is not enough.

4. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Nov 6 2007 14:51:00
    #

Login to Send PM

pooey,

i responded to both of your comments in the blog. Continuing here is better, but i wanted to make sure you saw them.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  5. PropstotheGast

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Nov 12 2007 16:19:45
    #

Login to Send PM

I plan on trying freezing temperatures this winter on a few items that my tenants tell me are infested but to dear to let go. If that doesn't work then by summer im going to try a combination of plastic tarps and space heaters in direct sunlight......

6. Bites44

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Nov 12 2007 18:31:14
    #

Login to Send PM

I have a new recliner too. Last week or so, I steamed it with a portable steamer. I vacuum it almost daily (as deep as I can reach into the "innards".) 4 days ago I turned it over and sprayed KleenFree all over the insides, the steel pieces, bolts, and also as much of the fabric as I could reach. I'm not sure if KleenFree works that well, but if it does, remember it is a contact cleaner.

Today I turned it over again and sprayed everything again with 70% rubbing alcohol, another contact cleaner. I do know that bugs will live and hide in the steel mechanisms as I saw ones living in my niece's steel bed frame. The rubbing alcohol does not appear to damage the fabric. Steam cleaning however can damage fabric.

Will all that work? Can't tell, and probably will never know, but surely I have killed some nymphs, adults, and maybe even some eggs.

I can't see any point at all in throwing it out, and buying a new one, as the new one could become infested too.

7. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Nov 12 2007 18:43:31
    #

Login to Send PM

Buggedinbrooklyn sprayed his couch with pesticides for months and months and months before his sofa was bed bug free. (I seriously suggest PCOs do this, though--to my understanding BIB was trained in chemical applications.)

Propsto, I would seriously suggest you read the FAQs which contain links to information on freezing and heat and when and how they will work. I don't know what you're planning to heat with a space heater: if a room, it won't work (the FAQs explain why) and if a piece of furniture, it sounds like a fire hazard.

8. Myron

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Jul 7 2009 12:02:14
    #

Login to Send PM

My sister also believes that her bugs are nesting in her recliner although she never sees or feels them while biting her. The blood stains are only on the nightgown that she wears sitting on the recliner at night. She plans to call an exterminator. Nearby, we found an egg and shedded skin. We are unsure what these bugs are.

9. jg879mm

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Jul 8 2009 14:34:33
    #

Login to Send PM

I have been treating my furniture with an OMEGA Steam Zapper. It's a small handheld unit that can send a pinpoint of dry steam wherever you need it with the push of a trigger, and gives you about 8 to 10 minutes of steam. Ther are other steam machines available, mist under $100, or less if you look on Craigslist.

The first thing you do is thoroughly vacuum the furniture, using brushes and crevice attachments. Do that while the steamer is warming up. You have to let it warm up for about 10 minutes. Then, find obvious areas of infestation (fecal specks are a giveaway) and fire the steam into these spaces. I also fire steam into the crevices in the furniture. There may be no need to steam the surfaces, as the bugs hide and breed in crevice areas. The vacuum bags have to be changed right away, as these beggars crawl through very small openings. I have a bagless- I take the unit outside, empty the cup, then rinse the cup and foam filter in water over 113 degrees F . That kills anything in the cup and filter. You can also fire an insecicide into the vacuum bag as well.

What I am finding is that I have to get up at about 2 AM, then shine a flashlight into the furniture and suspected areas. They are most active at night. If you see activity, vacuum immediately. If people are woken up, too bad.

This has to be an ongoing endeavor if you are using steam until all evidence of returning bugs are gone.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.