How come I am still finding live bugs???(5 posts)
I'm going to tell the story in bullet points - ANY advice will be considered, even if it's not what I want to hear.
- Found one bed bug in our laundry basket in Nov 2011 after suffering about 8 weeks of itchy bites. Went bananas. Bought a bed bug killing kit. Took apart bed, sprayed everywhere, washed everything. Found one case and no fecal stains at all. Did not see one again and bites ceased. I thought I was spectacular!
- Bites started up again in August. Was bitten whilst taking a nap in broad daylight. Bug was still on bed (clearly still engorged with my blood!!) Caught him and put him in a bag as I decided to call in the country's 'leading' pest control company. Put memory-foam mattress in a bug-proof case. Took everything out of bedroom and inspected. No fecal stains, no bed bug shells.
- PCO came and searched bedrooms. Found no evidence of bed bugs apart from the one that I found and kept to show them. They decided the infestation must be very light indeed but still ordered a £1000 treatment strategy of 5 sprays and one heat treatment.
- After 1st spray, felt quite positive. Hadn't slept in a while. Didn't get bitten for 13days and didn't find any live or dead bugs.
- After 2nd spray, found live one hiding in bathroom. Killed it. Figured it was just trying to get away from the chemicals. Wasn't bitten for about 6 days, then bites started up on neck and face.
- After 3rd spray, threw out all old bedding and only used white cotton sheets. Felt good for about 3 days and then started to notice small red dots in various places on my body. Used to be hypersensitive to bites..seems like I'm not anymore. Thought I was going crazy until I sat down in the living room this morning and saw one trying to scurry off under our dining table. Killed it.
My question is this...what is going on??? If I have a bad infestation then where is the evidence of fecal stains and skin cast offs...if I don't have a bad infestation then why have I found three live bed bugs in 8 weeks. ALSO why am I still finding them after already having 3 spray treatments....is this normal? What can I do myself inbetween treatments? Got a heat one coming up next week.
(Thought I might just add, that on top of this I have a four month old baby who sleeps in his own room. I have to feed him during the night and am petrified of bringing bugs into his room with me! I've seen no bites on him yet...but between him and the bed bugs, I'm averaging about 2-3 hours sleep a night. )
Hmmm . . .
Is your home a SFH? Is it an apartment/condo type thing? Is it an attached row home?
Insert logic here; unless there is cause for re-introduction the simple answer must be that there are a few bed bugs lingering that have escaped the previous treatments.
Remember, "this ain't rocket science" and we simply need to get the control methodologies to where the bed bugs are at your place. However, it's more easily said than done in some cases.
Of course you need to protect your baby's crib and I recommend doing so via maintained vigilance as well as putting various bloackers in place to prevent bed bugs from getting to him as he sleeps.
In addition to this, keep in contact with your Pro so that they understand you are still seeing bugs and stand behind their work.
Hope this helps ! paul b.
Best know does not make you "leading" or "best".
I suspect this is an adjoined property where the source is one of the neighbours, I would advise you to check with them all immediately as you would not normally see bedbugs int he bathroom in the UK without it coming in from a neighbour.
That said I am shocked at the cost as you can normally get someone who really knows what they are doing for a lot less than that.
Bed Bugs LimitedIn accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bedbug infestations in domestic and commercial settings. The patent numbers are GB2463953 and GB2470307.
I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for comments I make about products which are all offered because of their technical merits.
If you're in the UK, I suggest you check in with DC who has already posted above.
As you've already paid for service, you will also need to get in touch with those folks to have them stand behind the work they've done thus far.
Good luck ! pb
Thanks for the replies! Didn't expect to get any...
I will definitely do as you say as I have nothing to lose. We live on the ground floor of a five-storey apartment block.
Attempting to control this situation has very nearly driven me around the bend, so I will check with neighbours. I feel so embarrassed. I know BBs are not a sign of a dirty home, but it still feels a bit shameful!
As for you 'DC' expect an email...or call! I assume bed bugs limited has a website? Hope so
In the meantime, I've also filled in the holes behind the pipes in one of our bathrooms! (Not sure I'm supposed to do that....) Will get started on ensuite tomorrow!
You will not believe the slap-dash attitude the so-called leading company has taken with my situation...beginning to think they might be running a very lucrative racket! (When the surveyors first came round, despite not finding any evidence they quoted me £2300 before my 'special' discount...I know I was mugged but I was so desperate and a bit postnatally mad!)
Thanks all - what a wonderful web forum
You must log in to post.