Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Reader questions (do not fit into other categories)

How can I be sure they're gone?

(9 posts)
  1. GoingBuggyinBK

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Jan 7 2010 14:38:23
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi. We're having our third treatment by the PCO today. I just want to know how I can be sure the bugs are dead, dead, dead. Most of the posts I have read seem to use presence/absence of bites as an indicator, but is this really reliable, given that people react differently to the bites and those reactions can change over time?

When we first started getting bitten, I was bitten a lot (almost entirely on my arms), and they looked like mosquito bites. They also wouldn't go away for 2-3 weeks. I haven't had anything like that in a while, but I do have itching and redness, which makes me suspicious. Or, it could just be that my apartment is ridiculously hot and dry now that it's winter and the building blasts the boiler.

Is there any way to be sure, or am I just going to be paranoid for the rest of my life?

Thanks!

2. lieutenantdan

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Jan 7 2010 14:43:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Buy a steamer and steam once in a while. Being pro-active helped me mentally and of course steam will kill bugs and eggs.

3. bait

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Jan 7 2010 23:22:38
    #

Login to Send PM

A dermatologist can perform a test - a biopsy - that can tell you definitively if it is an arthropod. If you have insurance, do it.

4. bait

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Jan 7 2010 23:23:32
    #

Login to Send PM

Sorry, a dermatologist can perform a test - a biopsy - that can tell you definitively if it is an arthropod bite. If you have insurance, do it

5. lieutenantdan

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Jan 8 2010 11:39:31
    #

Login to Send PM

Why do you think that a dermatologist has a test that can tell you if you have bed bugs or not?

Nonsense, there is no such test. Do you have bed bugs or not or some other kind of bug or are you reacting to something else? Your body is telling you that something is up with you but what.
    I would see a medical doctor and make sure that you do not have some kind of health problem that you may need help for but save your money and time and any discomfort that you may experience from a dermatology visit, they will not have an answer for you. I believe that even if you do not have bed bugs now you may get them some day due to our growing bed bug problem in this nation and the lack of adequate pesticides. The only way to battle is allot of hard work that includes laundry and plastic bins, vacuuming, steaming and the strategic use of DE and to get rid of stuff (clutter) that you do not need.
    Have you tried this yet?
    I am not as up on our current pesticides in this country as I was two years ago but they are week and they probably will not take care of the problem in one spray, two sprays or even three, it of course may help but the only way, in my opinion to kill the enemy is hard work and time and precautions taken. So get tough and fight, I believe that there is no other way right now unless some stronger pesticides are approved. I predict that someday we may see just that happening, stronger pesticides re-introduced into the system.
    If you fight hard there is a light at the end of the tunnel and it won't be an on coming train.

6. Louise

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Jan 8 2010 12:00:07
    #

Login to Send PM

lieutenantdan - 16 minutes ago  » 
    Why do you think that a dermatologist has a test that can tell you if you have bed bugs or not?
    Nonsense, there is no such test. Do you have bed bugs or not or some other kind of bug or are you reacting to something else?

I don't believe bait was suggesting that a dermatologist could say exactly what *type* of arthropod bite it was - just that it was (or was not) an arthropod bite.

If the dermatologist can say, "No, these are definitely NOT arthropod bites," then it's more likely to NOT be bedbugs...or any type of bug.

If, on the other hand, the dermatologist says, "Yep, bites of some sort," then bedbugs are a possible culprit.

I think that's what bait was trying to say.

Louise

7. lieutenantdan

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Jan 8 2010 14:26:16
    #

Login to Send PM

Not directed at anyone and no disrespect meant. I have been through all of this a couple of years ago so I speak with much experience. Bed bugs are all over the place and it is just getting worse.
    I believe that money well spent would be on Protect-A-Beds and a steamer and DE is cheap.
    I say that these days to incorporate steamers and such into cleaning ones house is necessary.
    I have done all of this and it works.

8. GoingBuggyinBK

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Jan 8 2010 22:30:06
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you all for your input. What I am getting is that there really is no way to be sure that they are gone.

9. bait

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Jan 8 2010 23:33:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Going buggy,

I'm sorry; I hear your pain. I hope your itchy red skin is not caused by arthropod bites.

There's no such thing as a guarantee. This is the decade of the bed bug resurgence, and it's going to get worse before it gets better.

Bait

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

184,352 posts in 28,323 topics over 87 months by 12,196 of 19,350 members. Latest: MANthrax, buggingcane, pecunianon
Site Meter