How big is too big for gaps in seams in encasements

(3 posts)
  1. maxdc

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Sun May 14 2017 8:46:55
    #

Login to Send PM

I just put a Protect-a-Bed Allergen encasement on my mattress after my second treatment this past week. This morning, when I was looking for signs of activity, I noticed that there are visible gaps in the stitching on the seam in a few places. The gaps are VERY small, but they are there (i.e. the hole that the thread goes through is a little bigger than the thread. Is this a cause for concern? The encasement fits snugly, so I wonder if that is why.

I'm planning to pitch this mattress and encasement in a few weeks since it had signs of infestation and is super old. Just to be safe, should I pitch it now? I would happily sleep on an air mattress for a few weeks if it reduced my likelihood of bugs escaping the encasement.

2. maxdc

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Sun May 14 2017 9:11:49
    #

Login to Send PM

I tried to measure them with a ruler, and they appear to be less than 1mm thick. I don't know if it even matters based on how the stitching is done. The encasement is an AllerZip smooth mattress encasement. It's the 7-12 inch version, and my mattress is like 11 inches thick, so it fits snugly.

3. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 2 months ago
    Mon May 15 2017 11:13:36
    #

Login to Send PM

You said it was a Protect-a-bed Allergen encasement. Was it one of the Protect-a-bed models labeled to keep bed bugs out? If so, as long as they're not torn (all encasements can tear), they should work because they're tested to keep bed bugs in or out. See our encasements page for more on that. If they're not labeled for bed bugs, can't be sure.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

259,586 posts in 41,771 topics over 127 months by 18,318 of 18,785 members. Latest: ALivingNightmare, MontanaSPC, sarasoli