Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Tales of Bed Bug Woe

how bad can this be?

(5 posts)
  1. twitchyscratchy

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Dec 1 2009 8:30:12
    #

Login to Send PM

so, a week ago today, i had my second PCO treatment (albeit not with the most professional company i can now see in hindsight). they dusted and used permethrin spray. sprayed the bed, bed frames, floors, baseboards, couches, etc. (they only did the bedroom and living room).

my first PCO treatment was exactly 13 days (lucky, eh?) after my exposure to BBs.

i have found exactly 3 fecal stains, one cast skin and NO eggs or live bugs. PCO didn't see any either.

i began washing and bagging 5 days after first exposure. i caulked after the PCO's second treatment. there are no cracks left in my bedroom. there is no clutter in my bedroom. i tossed my old bedframe, bought a new steel frame. the bed is isolated in bowls of talc/DE, with a moat of very strong carpet tape all around it.

however, i'm still getting what look to be bites on my body- little red raised bumps with a tiny spot in the middle. i don't normally get blemishes, so i don't know what could be happening other than, i'm still getting bitten!

considering i was lucky to know when i got exposed, got a PCO in in under two weeks, hot washed, dried and bagged all clothes 5-7 days after exposure, bought a new bed frame, tossed old boxspring (wrapped in plastic and very, very carefully removed), isolated bed, have my shoes/jacket/bag in giant ziplocks, all clean clothes in giant ziplocks, have had a second PCO treatment, have dusted and caulked... how can there still be bed bugs???

how many could i have possibly brought home with me? i've only seen one cast skin. if i just brought a nymph home, it wouldn't have eggs in it. wouldn't it just die eventually? could i have brought home multiple bugs?

why is this happening!! i don't know what to do. i'm so stressed and my relationship is strained, and my job seems twice as stressful...

does anyone have any insight? what am i doing worng? i feel like i can't take anymore, my apologies (and respect) to those of you who have had far worse experiences with bed bugs.

cheers.

2. wchicago

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Dec 1 2009 14:58:51
    #

Login to Send PM

hi twitchy

i'm in no way an expert <just a fellow sufferer> but my understanding is that it isn't all that unusual for it to take 3 or more treatments to get rid of them. I'm a week post treatment #3, and i had gone 7 fabulous days without a bite <whoo> until last night when two bites showed up <boo> which means given the normal delay i show, at some point in my home office, i must have gotten bitten.
    SO I'll be having treatment #4 next week. i've only seen 2 adults and 1 nymph this whole time, both before my second treatment. i've dusted and caulked, washed and bagged, packtited, steamed, etc. but apparently, they just take awhile to kill because they hide so well, the crafty little vampires.

" the University of Massachusetts stated that 68% of all bedbug infestations require three or more treatments, 26% require two treatments, and 6% require just one."

so. . .i know it TOTALLY TOTALLY sucks, but hang in there. its possible you brought a few bugs home -but if just one of them was an inseminated female -well, she can lay a couple of eggs per day for the rest of her life (which hopefully was short, but still explains why you might have more than you think you should have, especially if she dodged treatment #1).

i caught my infestation early, not as early as you - but was being treated by a PCO within 2 months of getting the evil couch of doom. <mine came in on a brand new sofa>. i CAN say that, three treatments in, its gotten better. at its worst, my dog <who is reactive, once her eye swelled shut after she was bitten on the eyelid> was getting 2-3 new bites per day on her face and stomach <the less hairy bits>. I figured out how to isolate a dog bed, caulked "her" room <room where her bed and bowls are> and with that, in addition to the three treatments, now she's down to only 2 bites per week. which is still 2 too many, but MUCH better than before <her being bitten made me crazier than me being bitten>

so good luck, hang tough, and maybe show your girlfriend this site so she knows why (a) you're not paranoid and (b) a bumpy, somewhat longish ride is just to be expected with these critters. thats why folks have to be so *so* careful not to get them in the first place.

take care

3. wchicago

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Dec 1 2009 15:07:12
    #

Login to Send PM

one more thought: could you have brought them into your car and be reinfesting yourself that way? i brought some into my car before i knew i had them. am vacuuming like a fiend and as soon as chicago gets cold enough <january> will park it outside for a few weeks with a hot shot hanger -am hoping the double whammy of the cold plus hot shot will hopefully hasten their death, but i shuold lookinto that because maybe they breathe less in the cold in which case i should hot shot it now. ugh, i really hate these things

4. eclaire

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Dec 1 2009 15:34:55
    #

Login to Send PM

Whats hot shot?

I am skeptical that I have them in my car as well. I'm in Canada, so I get super cold winters. Wondering what temperature they need to be at to be killed off from the cold??? Or can they?

5. twitchyscratchy

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Dec 9 2009 13:40:23
    #

Login to Send PM

thanks for your replies folks.

wchicago, that totally sucks that your new couch was the culprit! how infuriating! and i'm sorry to hear your poor pooch was getting bitten, too. she looks very cute.

so, i don't have a car (and haven't dared get into anybody elses!) so that eliminates that possibility. so depressing to think a chicago winter might not even kill them! BBs are like effing science fiction!

eclaire, i'm in canada too. there are loads of posts on low temperatures and bedbugs- all sources say cold is unreliable for killing them. try doing some searches on bedbugger for it. and remember that the temperatures are in fahrenheit! (you can visit an online conversion website if you're like me and confused about the temperature conversion) i think i read somewhere on the site about a winnipeg winter not killing them- now that's bad.

now, the funny thing is, yesterday, my girlfriend developed "bites" on her body- little single red dots, not itchy, not near each other. she has never reacted before! we're now two weeks to the day after our second treatment so i don't get why she would react now. still noo blood, fecal matter, casings, eggs, etc. we inspect religiously. the only thing i can think of is that they're not in the bedroom.

deep sigh.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

201,857 posts in 31,281 topics over 95 months by 13,530 of 14,308 members. Latest: PolkaBox, bugsinarizona, slyhlndrs01