Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed Bug Treatment

Hot Shot Roach and Ant Spray (not a good idea)

(19 posts)
  1. Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Jun 5 2011 19:51:20
    #

Login to Send PM

I learned about this bed bug kill ALL secret from a hardware store owner, I know one thing, the man did not lie. So I thought to myself, I'll give Hot Shot bug spray a try.

First of all, I live in a apartment, I had a ton and a truck load of bed bugs in my bedroom. I sprayed my mattress and boxspring, along all four baseboards with Hot Shot bug spray, it was killing bed bugs dead dead [No more movement] killing them on the spot. I only sprayed one time, I have not seen anymore bed bugs. Hot Shot bug spray is the real deal, it truly works. Whats so odd about Hot Shot bug spray, it has nothing on the can about killing bed bugs, it works like a charm. I will always be thankful to the hardware store owner for revealing to me one of the best kept bed bug kill ALL secrets.... I pray that this info will help somebody, right now, Hot Shot bug spray [Roach & Ant] sells for about $2.97 a can at my local super market, give it a shot...!

[Admin note: this is not a good idea. Please read the rest of the thread for more input on this.]

2. blargg

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Jun 5 2011 20:42:28
    #

Login to Send PM

1. Do you work for Hot Shot/ United Industries?

2. Which spray did you use? Hot shot has quite a line. Did you use the purple can marked for bedbugs, the one for kitchen bugs, the one for roaches?

No offense, but your post sounds like a sales pitch.

3. thebedbugresource

old timer

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Jun 5 2011 22:20:54
    #

Login to Send PM

Ridiculous ...

4. buggyinsocal

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Jun 5 2011 23:23:53
    #

Login to Send PM

One important reminder to everyone reading the forum:

There is only one chemical pesticide "labeled" for use on mattresses and box springs in the United States. I believe its trade name is Bedlam.

Using any other chemical pesticide, including those available to consumers without credentials as licensed pest controllers can be extremely dangerous to your health.

One of the problems with so-called off-label uses of chemical pesticides (that means using a pesticide in a manner in which is has not been approved for use) is that the dangers of doing so may be long term rather than immediate.

I know bed bugs can make people scared, anxious, desperate, sleep-deprived, and utterly overwhelmed by the work and cost (financial and emotional) that comes with battling bed bugs, but please think about your health and safety--and the health and safety of other people in adjacent units.

DO NOT use sprays on furniture that your skin is going to be in contact with for approximately a third of your life while you own the furniture, which is what you're doing if you take the advice of anonymous people on the internet who advocate for the use of pesticides in off label uses.

5. Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Jun 5 2011 23:45:37
    #

Login to Send PM

blargg - 2 hours ago  » 
    1. Do you work for Hot Shot/ United Industries?
    2. Which spray did you use? Hot shot has quite a line. Did you use the purple can marked for bedbugs, the one for kitchen bugs, the one for roaches?
    No offense, but your post sounds like a sales pitch.

You can call it a sales pitch if you want too, it's ok with me. No, I do not work for Hot Shot, like I said, I was recommended to use Hot Shot bug spray. I use the Hot Shot in the green can [Roack & Ant] killer.

I did not know the Hot Shot company has a bed bug spray, that's news to me. If I see anymore bed bugs in my bedroom, I will still purchase the same kind of Hot Shot bug spray... Dude, you don't have take my word, go to your local super market and pick up a couple of cans Hot Shot [Roach & Ant] killer and see the difference for yourself, works like a charm...

6. Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Jun 6 2011 0:02:00
    #

Login to Send PM

I know what worked for me and I was only trying to share a product that truly works like a charm, believe it or not ..!

7. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Jun 6 2011 0:57:59
    #

Login to Send PM

HItech1,

As buggyinsocal noted, you should not use products outside of their labeling instructions and you certainly should not recommend others do so.

I am leaving this topic up for educational reasons but I stress that others should not follow this advice.

If you must self-treat, read labeling instructions.
    Use a product labeled for bed bugs.
    And only use products in areas of the home according to labeling instructions.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  8. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Jun 6 2011 1:00:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Note: killing bed bugs you spray directly is not difficult, and in fact, many (safer, cheap) household products will do it just fine.

So if you used this pesticide as what we call a "contact killer" (killing bed bugs you spray directly), it was no miracle product.

If you do not currently see bed bugs, it does not mean your bed bugs were eliminated. They may also be harboring in areas you cannot see.

9. Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Jun 6 2011 10:01:45
    #

Login to Send PM

I see that my topic has been changed for some reason. I will continue to use HOT SHOT bug spray for killing bed bugs. As long as I'm not being bitten by bed bugs or I'm not seeing anymore bed bugs, then the HOT SHOT bug spray did it's job .... I knew this was going to happen, now I have a very good ideal why it's happening.

Like I said, I had a ton and a truck load of beds bugs in my bedroom, HOT SHOT got rid of them ALL and to say it's wrong to use HOT SHOT is crazy.... Some people don't want you to know about a product that truly works, the real deal.... I'm caling a spade a spade... This not a HOT SHOT TV commericial either ....!

10. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Jun 6 2011 10:24:16
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

The issue with aerosol and fogger based products is more of dispersal of the bedbugs you don't hit into harder to reach and treat locations.

They may work as a contact killer but so does 90% alcohol which is cheaper and setting the fire hazard aside safer to use.

I appreciate that it may have worked for you on this occasion but attempting to extrapolate that back to something that will help everyone is a strategy this forum has seem many times before. As mentioned above products should only be used for what they are permitted to kill on the label. To ignore this would be akin to using diabetes medication to treat tooth ache.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bedbug infestations in domestic and commercial settings. The patent numbers are GB2463953 and GB2470307.

"Astral Entomologist - because so many people say my ideas are out of this world"
  11. Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Jun 6 2011 10:39:49
    #

Login to Send PM

YEAH RIGHT....! You guy, who are so bias against a product that truly works like a charm, I wonder why, yeah..(lol) Dude, the ideal is to get rid of bed bugs out of your dwelling place, HOT SHOT did just that for me. I don't see why HOT SHOT will not do it for others. You and nobody else is the ultimate authority in this forum for what works and what does not work.

I'm just glad I did not pay some company $500.00 to rip me off by telling me they have to come back again and again to get rid of bed bugs. HOT SHOT did the job for me, I don't care what you so call experts say... I will keep on using HOT SHOT if needed, yeah...!(lol)

12. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Jun 6 2011 10:46:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi HITech1,

Respectfully I have to say you are out of the ball park on this one.

I run one of the busiest bedbug related sites in Europe. I get massive web traffic and if it were as simple as selling a can I would do so. I don't think you appreciate the skill and attention to detail that goes into doing this type of work properly.

If it were as easy as you think I would be typing this from the poolside which I am not.

We have respectfully pointed out that your experience does not mirror that of others and that these products can have issues and for legal reasons can not be used "off label". If you know better than the EPA I suggest you take it up with congress rather than spamming the boards as your post appears to just be another CedarCide.

David

13. Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Jun 6 2011 10:57:13
    #

Login to Send PM

The only spam that I know about is sold in a can at the super market. Again you do your thing and I will continue to do my thing. You can fool some of the people, but you cannot fool all the people. Like I said, the ideal is to get rid of bed bugs out of your dwelling place, HOT SHOT did just that for me... Now other people are going to try the HOT SHOT method and they will not be dissappointed either, take care, dude...

14. buggyinsocal

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Jun 6 2011 10:57:27
    #

Login to Send PM

HITech1, how long have you been bed bug free?

and

How are you sure that the bugs you found were bed bugs? By whom were they conclusively identified?

15. Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Jun 6 2011 11:04:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Guy please, come on now, I'm not even going their with you... See this is exactly what I'm talking about, you are going slam smooth to the left... I guess you have to be a rocket scientist to tell that a duck is duck if it quacks...

16. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Jun 6 2011 11:13:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi HITech1,

About 85% of the images posted here where people are asking to confirm a suspected bedbug are in fact not bedbugs.

You don't have to be an entomologist to correctly identify a bedbug as a bedbug but correctly identifying one as such before you start treatment is a sensible first step.

To educate you about the other form of spam see the link below:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=spam

If the duck is mute and can't quack is it still a duck?

David

17. buggyinsocal

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Jun 6 2011 11:18:32
    #

Login to Send PM

HITech1,

I'm not a guy.

It's possible that that's just a typo, and you meant to type the word Guys, but I just wanted to be clear about my gender in case you meant the former.

I'm also not sure what "slam smooth to the left" is, exactly. I'd be appreciative if you'd explain it to me.

Everyone Else Who Reads the Forum:

I will simply point out in response to this thread the same thing I've pointed out before in response to other threads.

I know--believe me I know--that when you're broke and staring down the barrel of a bed bug infestation, the temptation to look for an inexpensive solution to get these awful vermin out of your home is great.

You might come across a post like this and think that it's worth a shot. After all, if the OP's method doesn't work, it won't have hurt anything, right?

Wrong.

I don't say that lightly. (Full disclosure: I actually didn't have chemical treatment from a PCO as the primary method for dealing with bed bugs, so when I say this, I'm not saying this because I have a horse in the chemical treatment race.)

We know that many chemical pesticides that work on other pests (like roaches or ants) have a repellent effect on bed bugs.

While when you're being bitten and getting really itchy welts, having the bed bugs repelled sounds like a good idea, in reality, it's not. Here's why. If you repel the bed bugs, they will disperse into a wider area in your apartment. They will go into deeper hiding. In the long run, this makes your infestation harder (and more expensive) to treat professionally.

We also know that even if you're only sleeping 6 hours a night, if you've sprayed your mattress and box spring with a chemical pesticide not labeled for that use, you're getting a very high exposure to chemicals that the EPA has said you shouldn't be exposed to in that way.

So.

Consider the following:

*HITech1 is not willing to tell us how long he or she has been bed bug free.

*When I asked HITech1 to explain how he/she was sure it was bed bugs (and not, say, roach nymphs which some people mistake for bed bugs), HITech1 was not willing to answer.

So I ask potential readers this: whose opinion are you more inclined to trust?

People who explain in detail why they advocate a particular treatment method?

Or the person who posts using classic derailing techniques without being willing to assert that he/she has been clear of bed bugs for the minimum amount of time that has become the rule of thumb for being able to declare victory over these pests and who cannot explain how he/she is sure that they were bed bugs in the first place?

I'm all for the free exchange of ideas and such. But I'll leave it up to forum members to decide based on all the evidence which opinions they find more trustworthy.

18. Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Jun 6 2011 11:29:56
    #

Login to Send PM

Hot Shot works for me, that's all I care about..! I don't have any more bed bugs, that's the bottom line, take care...

19. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Jun 6 2011 11:48:30
    #

Login to Send PM

HiTech1,

The title of the thread was changed in order to avoid undue attention to this thread.

I also added an "admin note" to your first post.

None of your comments were altered in any way.

David Cain and buggyinsocal have made excellent points.

I think it's time to move on. Best of luck to you.

RSS feed for this topic

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.