Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed Bug Treatment

Homemade CO2 traps

(11 posts)
  1. MichelleBB

Posted 1 year ago
    Mon May 21 2012 21:50:57
    #

Login to Send PM

I found this video about making your own traps. Have any of you tried this?

[+] Embed the videoGet the Video Plugin

2. MichelleBB

Posted 1 year ago
    Mon May 21 2012 22:25:27
    #

Login to Send PM

I found the thread the reference came from. I thought it sounded too good to be true. Dammit.

3. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 1 year ago
    Mon May 21 2012 22:49:26
    #

Login to Send PM

As of now, experts seem to feel that a trap can help you detect BB, but not necessarily eradicate them. (I think David Cain has some new info that might be promising.)

These appear to be along the same principles as the "Bed Bug Beacon", a chemical CO2 generator, with a pitfall.

The danger with articles like this, is that without verification and vetting, lazy landlords can tell their tenants "just do X, or just do Y".

4. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 1 year ago
    Tue May 22 2012 8:02:27
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Yes this works on the principles of the bedbug beacon but has one major disadvantage the pitfall is so deep that it will take an age for the CO2 to escape the pitfall.

This approach of trap them out may work in a very light infestation but I have found through field trials that is is not effective at capturing all the bedbugs and it is less efficient if it needs to compete with a human in the room.

The advice on using the plastic sheet is naive at best and will most likley result in the spread of bedbugs as they simple move to the walls and ceilings to get around this form of isolation. It also fails to take into account the dynamics of bedbug infestations in that they have to be coming into the property somehow and this approach does not address that critical aspect to bedbug eradication.

Sorry folks if it were that simple the world would not be as big an issue as it is.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bedbug infestations in domestic and commercial settings. The patent numbers are GB2463953 and GB2470307.
  5. MichelleBB

Posted 1 year ago
    Tue May 22 2012 8:09:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for your input. I am so disappointed. Every option I have is either ineffective, extremely expensive, or both.

6. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 1 year ago
    Tue May 22 2012 8:23:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

The simple take home message is really if there were a simple solution this website would not be here, I would not have invested thousands of hours of time researching / experimenting / optimizing and investing in bedbug systems and you could get the answer from any street corner convenience store.

Trust me on days like today I would never more happier than if bedbugs had not come back into society.

David

7. dabugged

newbite

Posted 11 months ago
    Fri Apr 26 2013 22:06:52
    #

Login to Send PM

Good discussion. That's a lame video to me. This one at least seems better and more credible:

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?section=news/7_on_your_side&id=7212643

8. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 11 months ago
    Fri Apr 26 2013 23:12:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes it does but as they say appearances can be deceptive.

I am confident that if you follow up on their latest research you will find its now directed towards a slightly different design although I think almost all professionals now agree the use of dry ice is not acceptable.

It's also a 2010 news article and if it worked as well as claimed it would be used a lot more widely.

David

9. dabugged

newbite

Posted 11 months ago
    Sat Apr 27 2013 13:14:59
    #

Login to Send PM

Good points David. I read some articles talking about commercial CO2 trap + BB monitors (CDC 3000, NightWatch, Bed Bug Beacon). It's too bad the commercial offerings are rather expensive. (to get yourself if not from PCO).

And I'm assuming if PCO offers them to you (on loan? for treatment, monitoring), it would still be pricey (rental/fee), albeit cheaper than straight ownership of the devices?

Would be nice to eventually get a mass produced commoditized (residential/consumer) version at a more affordable cost (especially maintenance-wise).

10. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 11 months ago
    Sat Apr 27 2013 13:57:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Dear debauged,

There's much more to it than appears on the surface. Some of the more expensive units have failed in the field and this is reflected in their sales and repeat sales or lack thereof.

Simple design has it's advantages as well.

Researchers have fashioned low cost and effective traps using CO2 as well as heat as a lure.

Two things:
    1) It's "do-able".

and

2) It ain't rocket science.

Hope this helps ! paul b.

As a consulting entomologist I provide services for entities such as property managers, health/housing/emergency depts, schools, hospitality/resort/cruise industry, homeowners, food service, retail, pest professionals & product manufacturers. I recommend only efficacious methodologies, products and equipment. Professional relations have included Actisol, AMVAC, Atrix, BASF, Bayer, Catchmaster, FMC, GMT, Eaton, MattressSafe, Nisus, ProTeam, Rockwell, Syngenta & Woodstream. No compensation for product sales occurs. As inventor of Knight Safe bed bug sleep tent provides a royalty.
  11. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 11 months ago
    Sat Apr 27 2013 14:21:35
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

As Paul has said the more costly $100+ options are no longer in the marketplace. As much as anything the financial model just does not make sense either as sales or rental.

There is a lot that goes into even the simplest of product designs and although something may initially appear simple it can often be the product of generations of design optimisation and with bedbugs the oddest of small things can be the difference between effective or worthless.

I personally only work with original products, yes I could make my own cheaper versions of some products but then I would no longer get the case reliability of results. It's also why I may appear to be harsh and critical at times, it's often because I know what is being claimed does not work in the real world.

David

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

184,153 posts in 28,296 topics over 87 months by 12,192 of 19,347 members. Latest: falc2, jazzychazzy, MANthrax
Site Meter